Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

HDTV and Prepar3D

This isn't a perfect solution for me but it might be for some folks.  I have a Samsung 42" HDTV that I use as my sim monitor.  I read on a forum that you need to edit the source name on your TV and change it to "PC" if you want one-to-one pixel mapping.  I tried it and my jaggies vanished.  *However*....on my PC I lost a vast amount of color and brightness...the return of the eternal cloudy day.  But it might work for you so I thought I'd post it.

Happy flying,

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Intriguing.  How do you edit the source name to "TV"?

Thanks!

I also did the same.  But make sure in the NVIDIA control panel you have the colors set to be managed by NVIDIA.  WIth that setting, for me the colors look fantastic on my Samsung 40 inch HDTV.

Intriguing. How do you edit the source name to "TV"?

Thanks!

Yeah would like to know more bout this too.

Cheers

Riche

In my Samsung HDTV select Menu->Source List->Edit Name.  Then scroll down to the connection that you're using.  E.g. if you're using HDMI1 then select that.  Then assign it to PC from the list it gives.  You're not renaming it so much as you're telling the TV how to deal with it.  I'd like to hear how it works out for folks.

Gregg 

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

I also did the same. But make sure in the NVIDIA control panel you have the colors set to be managed by NVIDIA. WIth that setting, for me the colors look fantastic on my Samsung 40 inch HDTV.

That helped.  Still have stutters but I'm a step closer.

Gregg Seipp

Can confirm that this made a difference on my LG's too.

When switching to 'PC' the picture went black and came back clearer and more vivid.

Can confirm that this made a difference on my LG's too.

When switching to 'PC' the picture went black and came back clearer and more vivid.

Glad to hear.  I worked with nVidea Control Panel for a good while and did not manage to get the color back to where I had it pre-setting this up.  I reverted back for now.  I've got a new monitor coming in a week and it all may be different so I'll wait.  My old settings were hard fought to get realism in FSX.  I wish they had settings profiles in nVidea Control panel.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

Well, I got my new HDTV today and, apart from the age related ghosting on the old monitor and some improved black levels on the new monitor, there isn't really much difference.  Setting the HDMI to PC still dims the colors and contrast.  I also notice that the improvements to the jaggies is really due to the fact that setting PC mode introduces a bit of blurriness in that mode.  So, not much good news.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

I have a 32" Samsung SmartTV that I hook to my PC once in a while. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN32EH5300-32-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B0074FGNJ6/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

They are actually monitors, not TVs, which has something to do with their LED configuration (pixel wise) and the processor signals go through before display.    I am considering buying two more of these to upgrade from 3 x 27", but I don't think my desk can handle anymore.

37" Samsung here - it has a dedicated hdmi port for pc - I edited one of the color profiles and it works superbly.

37" Samsung here - it has a dedicated hdmi port for pc - I edited one of the color profiles and it works superbly.

What color profile and what settings?  I have been using nVidea Control Panel along with some settings on the TV.  Haven't been able to get the clarity and color when the port is set to PC.

Gregg Seipp

Hi Gregg_Seipp,

I went into the TV Settings, and under "Mode" - I chose Dynamic, and then adjusted each slider until I was very happy with the results in FSX & P3D -

My port shows up as HDMI-PC on the TV...as it is a dedicated port for DVI/PC's etc.  I have been very happy and have used this TV for almost 3 years now.

Like you do, I have done some minimal adjustment with NVidia CP - but most of my color adjustments have been with the TV settings.

When I'm ready to "sim", I just click "source" on my RControl, choose Dynamic, and I'm ready to go.

Tom

I've got a new monitor coming in a week and it all may be different so I'll wait.

So your old TV was a Samsung 42" HDTV?

What model/size is the new one?

Thanks,

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

So your old TV was a Samsung 42" HDTV?

What model/size is the new one?

It's a new Samsung 46".

Gregg Seipp