Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

PMDG Boeing 717

I see a few ideas floating around but one airliner has yet to see the light of day in the whole history of Flight Simulator (outside of Perfect Flight's offering).  PMDG has already done the MD11, the cockpit of the 717 operates much the same.  It would be great if PMDG tackled this airliner seeing as Delta has taken them on from Air Tran.  PMDG would do the most justice to this bird based on the MD11 (which was outstanding)...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I actually forgot that aircraft existed.  Says a lot about it's popularity :/   PMDG will not even do a superficial makeover for the MD11, an aircraft considered a flagship freighter for many real world operators but not popular enough for the mainstream simmer.    It's just business unfortunately...

Rob Prest

I actually forgot that aircraft existed.  Says a lot about it's popularity :/ 

Same was said about the MD11 and look at the great job PMDG did with that.  I wasn't crazy about it at first but for my FedEx runs it's a great option in the detail we have it in.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Same was said about the MD11 and look at the great job PMDG did with that.  I wasn't crazy about it at first but for my FedEx runs it's a great option in the detail we have it in.

That is exactly my point, I love the MD11 but it is not popular with the mainstream FS crowd.  PMDG took a risk and it didn't pay off.

Sometimes I think simmers shoot themselves in the foot, If crowd funded project's exists more devs would be out there creating addon's.  

In sim land a lot of people freak out for when it comes to paying cash for anything. I guess it is a byproduct of the freeware days.

Rob Prest

PMDG had little demand for the MD-11 so they aren't redoing it. The 717 is in a similar situation as the MD-11 - being phased out. I believe we will see a PMDG A380 before a 717, sorry :(

There's another developer out there working on a seemingly high quality 717:

http://tfdidesign.com/index.php?p=717

Sorry to be blunt but there isn't a single indication anywhere that it is going to be even superficially good...

I just don't get how some people get soo excited about a random noncompany anouncing a plane. It ends up a vaporware as often as not anyway.

That is exactly my point, I love the MD11 but it is not popular with the mainstream FS crowd.  PMDG took a risk and it didn't pay off.

Sometimes I think simmers shoot themselves in the foot, If crowd funded project's exists more devs would be out there creating addon's.  

In sim land a lot of people freak out for when it comes to paying cash for anything. I guess it is a byproduct of the freeware days.

I'd like a 717. Nice little airplane. Shame they aren't more popular.

About crowdfunding, I don't think it would work.

Invariably people would either think devs are overcharging in their cost estimates and refuse to fund, or a developer would grossly underestimate the cost and run out of funding and/or fail to deliver.

Highly unlikely. It's even less well known than the MD-11 and would directly compete with the NGX. The MD-11 was made a long time ago now here and doesn't follow our newer programming framework than the NGX and 777 (and soon to be 747v2) follow - it's not like that code can just be taken willy-nilly and turned into a 717. It would be a serious development outlay on par with any of our other projects to do it.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

and would directly compete with the NGX.

Pretty sure what's why Boeing killed it off after the MD buyout, too.

Kyle Rodgers

Sorry to be blunt but there isn't a single indication anywhere that it is going to be even superficially good...

I just don't get how some people get soo excited about a random noncompany anouncing a plane. It ends up a vaporware as often as not anyway.

Did I really come across as that excited?

Besides, every company starts out as a "noncompany". Of course I can't tell the future; for all we know, it could end up being a terrible product. The shots look pretty good though.

After we get the 747-400 V2 and the 747-8 I will be indeed curious what they will do next. I also hope that we'll get some more information on their DC-6 soon as it'd be a perfect aircraft to fly around Orbx's Alaska! 

A SP2 for the NGX after the 747-line of products is released would be also quite awesome since the NGX would benefit from all the new know-how and features that those new projects bring with them. 

My dream is to fly an Airbus developed by PMDG. Will it be possible ?

I sure got fooled by the topic.  Yes, my first glance and response was Really??? I had been watching the TFDi work for some time, but I had to take a look and see if there was information about an announcement by PMDG or plans to do a 717. I actually like the 717. You can't leave Hawaiian Airlines out of the user list. And outside of the United States, Qantas-Link flies them and maybe 1 Spanish carrier, Volotea. 

Still, one of the best things going for this community is that there is an available favorite plane for almost everyone. We are fortunate in a lot of ways that PMDG did not stay "noncompany" when it first started. 

Keith Guillory

I expect some development in the 787 direction.

That would complete the current Boeing line-up: 737NG, 747, 777, 787

After that time for the 777X overhaul presented lately.

I would rather see a PMDG quality MD-80 over the 717.