Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

PMDG Boeing 717

Market research does not equal forum poll in any professional organization.

Market research does not equal forum poll in any professional organization.

Fact remains that the three addons mentioned in my post were not the result of market research.

The J41 was presumably selected because Robert used to fly them.

The DC6 was (I am guessing) selected because they wanted to do something different, and they were able to gain full access to a real world example (including performance data).

I have no idea why they selected the MD11, but there are plenty of flightsimmers who are glad that they did.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Agreed, the MD-80 already has sufficient coverage.

The 717 does have some merit though, it's got a solid fan following and there aren't any credible takes on it for FSX yet, unlike the DC-6 (Just Flight has the jump on the market.)

But then there's people like me that have a limited amount of simulator time and don't want or need another narrowbody with the same mission as the NGX. I think that's what Ryan was alluding to when he referred to it as competition for the NGX - a lot of people don't want multiple aircraft of the same function.

I'd honestly like to see some throwback stuff. Maybe an L1011, DC10, 727, etc. Although, commercial support from the manufacturers is probably non-existant with those.

When do they do their market research ? I have never seen them canvas the largest gathering of PMDG customers, which I guess is right here in their own forum.

How many were asking for a MD11, J41 or DC6 when they last did "market research"?

Glyn

It seems like their sales are their market research. As in, the one niche aircraft they created sold poorly so they don't see another niche aircraft as being commercially viable.

I'd imagine that PMDG has to keep an eye on the big picture here. As far as product planning is concerned, what can they develop and perhaps transition to P3D at some point as a commercial product vs what can they also sell to the kids with a home computer and FSX. It's not all about us, anymore.

-jp

You know what is ALL OVER THE SKIES and not done to PMDG standards? Embraer and Bombardier products.  Those would sell.  I know (and DEEPLY appreciate) PMDG's focus on heavy-iron (with the DC-6 also from the past), but the J-41 and Beech 1900-D from the past suggests that there is some willingness to do smaller stuff.  If among the premises of "market-promise" for future projects is that people want to buy what they see at the local airport and what they take their own trips in, then the regional jet market is WAAAAAAAY underserved.  We certainly have a few great turbo-prop products out there now, but without any mention of names, the regional jet products are mostly lacking (with one exception I can think of, but that product represents an out-of-production aircraft which will only be on the wane in the coming years - like the MD80).

I will always be sorrowful that the wonderful MD-11 remains out of PMDGs consideration.  There are so many elements of what PMDG's present development structure entails present in that aircraft that I would hope that it could be "adopted into the fold" of the new workflow.  For a cargo hound like myself (it is all I fly with the 777), the MD11 is such a nice addition to the set of aircraft available.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

When do they do their market research ? I have never seen them canvas the largest gathering of PMDG customers, which I guess is right here in their own forum.

How many were asking for a MD11, J41 or DC6 when they last did "market research"?

Glyn

The MD-11, J41 and DC-6 are largely products that PMDG wanted to do themselves. The J41 because RSR used to fly it, and it was somewhat of a testbed for the techniques used in the NGX, 777X, and upcoming 747v2.

The DC-6, because one of the guys on the dev team "knew a guy", and they're pretty crazy about radials themselves.

In contrary to what you may think, the largest part of PMDG customers is not vocal, and actually not on the forums. PMDG  have confirmed this themselves a few times, mostly through the words of Ryan (Tabs).

I will always be sorrowful that the wonderful MD-11 remains out of PMDGs consideration.  There are so many elements of what PMDG's present development structure entails present in that aircraft that I would hope that it could be "adopted into the fold" of the new workflow.  For a cargo hound like myself (it is all I fly with the 777), the MD11 is such a nice addition to the set of aircraft available.

I usually use the PMDG MD11 when I want to use an MD11. It's a pity that only PMDG did the MD11 and that PMDG won't do an MD.. oh wait a sec.

I'd certainly like to see another PMDG-quality aircraft with analog gauges. I have the PMDG 777, iFly 737, all those come with electronic displays and caution/warning managements. I looked back at FS98 yesterday (anyone here started flying sim around that era?) and missed those 12 round gauges for the engines on the 747. It can be anything, like the old 747, or 737 classics, or 707, 717. I won't really want PMDG spend their time to make an Airbus as it feels quite similar to the 777 already. Like someone mentioned, having one plane for each function in the sim is already enough. Surely they can have all the Boeing and Airbus wide-body jets in their collection, but at the end of the day (literally, flying is usually the last thing I do before sleep) I'll just select the same plane to fly 90% of the time.

(anyone here started flying sim around that era?)

FS5.1

Those were the good ol' days...

People actually had to really want to learn in order to use the sim.  There was no internet, or YouTube to go get instant answers.  You either gave up, or forced yourself to learn.  That's an attribute that I wish the current simming generation possessed at least a little more of...

Kyle Rodgers

The Boeing 707 would be my pick. It is after all, the one that ushered in the jet age as we know it. There were a few unsuccessful commercial jetliners before it, but the 707 was the that plane that paved the way for the 727, 737, 747, 757, 767 and the latest FS craze, the 777. It made jet travel affordable and available to the public at large. 

The 707 would make a great PMDG classic, because of its historical significance. But that's just me. I'm sure it won't happen as it's low on the totem pole in popularity. The majority of hobbyists are seeking something current, most of which have already been done over and over again.

The Boeing 707 would be my pick. It is after all, the one that ushered in the jet age as we know it. There were a few unsuccessful commercial jetliners before it, but the 707 was the that plane that paved the way for the 727, 737, 747, 757, 767 and the latest FS craze, the 777. It made jet travel affordable and available to the public at large. 

The 707 would make a great PMDG classic, because of its historical significance. But that's just me. I'm sure it won't happen as it's low on the totem pole in popularity. The majority of hobbyists are seeking something current, most of which have already been done over and over again.

What's wrong with the current captain sim 707? I find it to be of very high quality and while not PMDG quality in complexity I do believe it's quite a challenge.

A PMDG 707 is something I want as well. A beautiful airliner that evoluted air travel despite Comet and Tu-104 was there first. 

Having a 707/720 is of much more significance than a "737 MAX" which is almost the same as a 737NG...

look at the exterior shots!

And this is relevant to PMDG level of awesomeness... how?

Lot's of people can make pretty renders. Not so much pretty models that behave well in the sim. Even less people can then take those and bolt on amazing systems and dynamics.

Although I enjoy the CS 707, a "study" level 707 as only PMDG can delivery would really make it. I'd enjoy learning the 707 at a deep level. CS did a nice job with theirs though. Graphics are beautiful. And systems and FDE are good, but not  fully developed to understand the 707 as it truly was ( and is).