Sign in to follow this  
SQUAWKIDENT

'Hardware' posts - a possible solution...?

Guest Toni Rauch

Having read Tom's now-locked "enough is enough" thread, the one thing that stands out is peoples' wish to post hardware problem questions on this forum simply because it's much wider-read than the hardware forums themselves.So, with the greatest respect to Tom and his rules, here's a possible solution.....Why not allow people to post no more than the question here on this forum, but only allow answers /comments/advice on the 'correct' hardware forum?That way, if you're browsing this forum and see a 'hardware' question you may be able to help with, bounce over to the other forum and offer the help.The problem's then solved - your question is read 'by the many' and (hopefully) answered quickly with out clogging this forum up.Just an idea.... Toni.

Guest allcott

Just what is wrong with the right questions being posted in the right forum? You excuse those who post in the wrong forum, then expect the reply to be posted to the right one..? How does that work with this forum software exactly?If someone posts in the right forum, and there are many posts to make that forum interesting, people will read it. If people can't post in the right forum, in defiance or ignorance of the rules, then what use is it going to be to help them anyway?The fact is there have been stickies, reminders, cajoling and orders and STILL therer are those that won't take a hint. Moderators have to waste their personal time moving those threads from one place to another. Enough is enough as Tom says.Allcott

Guest Toni Rauch

Hey Allcott,My suggestion was merely a way to acknowledge many people's 'frustration' in not getting to as many as possible because of the simple truth that THIS forum is the most-read. I'm not condoning or excusing anything and certainly not suggesting that anyone should ignore the rules. I'm saying that just maybe, there's 'an answer' to please everyone......?IMHO, nothing wrong with looking for the 'middle ground'. But if this issue is a totally 'closed door', so be it.Toni.

Toni,If people can't abide by the simple request to keep hardware topics in the existing two hardware categories, what makes you think that your scheme will be adhered to at all? In my opinion, it would just create more chaos and work load on the admins. What I am considering is shutting down all the forums (except for the commercial support forums) and only having one forum for everything. At the current rate of postings overall, that would be an average of 800 posts a day in one forum. And then the logic of "posting every/anything in the most popular forum" would be fully achieved.

Move which forum up? The FS Hardware forum? It is the fourth one down from the top of this forum when you enter. People have to scan by the hardware forum BEFORE they can read any messages in this forum. And that hasn't prevented hardware posts here. So, obviously, that isn't the answer.

Tom,Call me a idiot but the fourth one down for me is "The Avsim 2005 Conference and Exibition". I don't see a FS Harware Forum at all. Now four up from the bottom is "PC / MAC hardware for simulations". That's all I got for a hardware forum.Not meaning to rock the boat here, but I don't see a FS Harware forum" but I could be a idiot with way to much coffee this morning.

Wait, wait. Yes I see where you are saying that now in the General discussion forum there is a link to a FS Hardware forum. My bad, but I had never seen that. Sorry Tom.

Guest diajohn2

I agree with Tom. Those who want more exposure to their hardware problems need to follow the rules. Those who want to break the rules for their "exposure" are the same ones who cut in line at the movies, talk on their cell phone at the check-in desk for an airline and just believe the world exists for them.Most hardware posts can't really be answered anyway as their are so many possiblities, you get opinions which are just that. Tom, do what you must to keep the forums, which are great, in an orderly manner. Those who do not want to follow the rules should take their posts elsewhere or have them deleted.

Guest RonB49

"Most hardware posts can't really be answered anyway as their are so many possiblities, you get opinions which are just that."But therein lies the secret. One person's opinion may trigger another person's recollection leading to a totally new revelation. And the more people who read the post, the more likely the synergy will build. Please pass the mushrooms.*:-* Perhaps the new BOLD Hardware heading will help. R-

Guest A321

Here is the best Soultion, Follow the rules that Tom has set, How, and why should this be a problem. Maybe the hardware support forum should be a link on the top menu, thus allowing quick access to it.On the other hand, the biggest problem is this...Why should I visit the hardware forum, if I dont have a hardware problem? Yes people this is the problem,, you will see that a hardware only forum, will be filled with 1 time posts, meaning nobody will answer except for a small few who will go into that forum just to help other folks out.People post in the MSFS forum becuase there is a better chance of getting an answer.Jason

Guest Dakota

Now where is the hardware forum?just kidd'n, I think the new label should get people pointed to the right place, but you might want to make them a little larger. :-lol

I think we have the solution Houston. See the images in the forum descriptions in the General forum. If that doesn't solve the problem I will increase the font size to 84.5 and post in bright purple. That should get some's attention.

Guest Zevious Zoquis

I regularly skim thru the hardware forum to see if there might be any issues I may have encountered and have found a solution for. I think probably quite a few others do too. There's lots of helpful souls around here. Perhaps some of those unresolved posts are unresolved becuase there's no easy resolution, rather than becuase nobody has seen the posts...