Sign in to follow this  
Howiefly13

P3D will not start!

This just started.  I load P3D and the progress bar goes to 100% and then the program ends and goes to the desktop.  Any ideas what causes this?  Also, what is the path to the P3D.cfg file?

Thanks,
Howard

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

Usually, this type of crash in either FSX or P3d is because of a corrupt file. What types of files could be bad?

1. Prepar3d.cfg. It is a hidden file located here: "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Prepar3D.CFG". Rename it to Prepar3d.cfg.old. Prepar3d will then rebuild it with the default settings. It's a pain, but you have to set everything back to the way you originally had it.
  2. Scenery file. If you didn't add any scenery files since the last good sim run, this is probably not the cause.
  3. Flight plan file used in the default flight. These are notorious for causing the start up issue.
  4. A file associated with the aircraft used in the default flight. This could be anything, gauge files, textures, etc. This also is not a likely culprit.
  5. The default flight situation file itself.

Item # 1 is easy to test. Item # 2 is tricky. Items # 3 and # 4 can be tested by directly editing Prepar3d.cfg and changing:

LOAD_SIMDIRECTOR=1 which is located under [sTARTUP]

This will cause Prepar3d to start in the situation setup window. This allows you to change locations, aircraft, etc. to test where the problem is.

Item #5 is also easy to fix by changing:

SITUATION=C:\Users\Ray\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files\<your default situation file> which is located under [uSERINTERFACE]

to

SITUATION=

This will cause Prepar3d to use the built-in situation file.

I'm not suggesting do these in any order, but some are easier to test than others You can decide what the proper testing approach is. If all of this fails, there is still a corrupt file somewhere, but usually, it is one of the more common file types listed above.

I had this problem too an a fresh install of P3D, in Windows 7.  When I upgraded to Windows 8.1, it wiped everything, and I re installed P3D v2.2 again.  I couldn't believe it but the problem persisted, at 100% loadup, I got a CTD about half the time with no message.  

A couple of weeks later, for other reasons, I clicked the compatibility option and chose Windows 8 on the P3D shortcut.  That fixed the problem and I've started up P3D hundreds of times with no problem.  On one occasion I got the CTD again, and I checked the compatibility setting, and it had become unchecked.  I re checked it and the problem has not resurfaced (fingers crossed).

Thank you guys.  I am still trying!

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

If none of that works, the problem is either with your P3d install or your Windows install. But try the simple fixes first. 

This thread might get a better response, if it was moved to the Crash to Desktop Sub forum. Most of what's in the CTD subforum are FSX issues, but FSX shares a lot in common with P3d.

I had the same problem with Prepar3D quitting during loading. It may have to do with the DLL.XML or EXE.XML files that are found in the same location as the Prepar3D.cfg (see posting jabloomf1230 above). Sometimes when installing new scenery or modules these files are altered. I had some problems installing (an outdated version of) Addon Manager of FSDreamteam. Usually a backup is made of the original DLL/EXE.XML files. First check if these XML files have been altered recently and a backup exists (they can be opened with Notepad). Perhaps you can compare with the backup files and manually delete the last entry. Or you can rename the last backup XML to the original name again.

Alternatively create a backup folder and MOVE the DLL/EXE.XML files into this folder. During startup Prepar3D will create fresh XML files. However you will lose previous registration of modules.

Erik

Excellent point. That's actually one item that I missed. Both of those files are in XML and sometimes the installation of a new 3rd party add-on requires that additional lines be added to one or both files. If the installer isn't really careful about syntax, it can corrupt these files.

This just started.  I load P3D and the progress bar goes to 100% and then the program ends and goes to the desktop.  Any ideas what causes this?  Also, what is the path to the P3D.cfg file?

Thanks,

Howard

I know exactly what it is...and you are probably using an AM mask of 242,254, or 255...  I had the same randon CTD's until I went to AM=84, and rock solid stability was the result.

Use AM=84, if you have a four core in HT mode..and you will no longer drop to the desktop.  It is the fact that the texture rendering spread across both logical and virtual cores is incompatible with P3D 2.2...and causes a lost focus on the texture threads, and the program shuts down.  AM=84 brings back the default logistics...but allows the virtual four threads to run system maintenance.  I would suggest that you delete your Shader Folder, and then either delete the Affinity Mask notation in your .cfg file...or use the aforementioned.  Your CTD problems will cease.....

I know exactly what it is...and you are probably using an AM mask of 242,254, or 255...  I had the same randon CTD's until I went to AM=84, and rock solid stability was the result........

Hi Mitch,

are you serious now or kidding?

Spirit

Thanks guys. So far, all is good!

Howard

Thanks guys. So far, all is good!

Do you mind to tell us the solution?

Spirit

I think the combination of these 2 steps, hopefully, solved my problem:

1 -

SITUATION=C:\Users\Ray\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files\<your default situation file> which is located under [uSERINTERFACE]

to

SITUATION=

-AND-

2 - I used AM=84 for my 4 cores with hyperthreading.

Howard

I think the combination of these 2 steps, hopefully, solved my problem:

1 -

to

SITUATION=

-AND-

2 - I used AM=84 for my 4 cores with hyperthreading.

That AM=84 will go a long way for load in stability.  With other settings that were advised/recommended, I had 80 percent of the time, and over time, CTD's .  I then tried AM=84, and with having changed nothing else, not one further time, has P3D v2.2 CTD and not fully loaded out to the default, or carried on after I set up a situation. Rock solid now.  I won't be changing the AM setting for this, or now for FSX. 84, it is.

Hi Mitch,

are you serious now or kidding?

Spirit

No..I'm most serious.  In doing my research, and set-and-note....the worst offender settings for my i7-975 Extreme were the settings of 254/255.  I started to get CTD's at 99 percent of the load in on the Raptor default, at runway.  I could try and load 10 times in succession, with even ASN not pre-loaded, not even in the picture...and drop to the Desktop. I then (for the first time, entered 84 for the mask. I had just come from another CTD at load in. I did not delete the Shader folder, that might skew my finding...and crossed my fingers.  Boom...at the runway...and ready to go!  I shut down, and initiated P3D five more times...all at a full load out, and ready to fly, sitting on the runway at 32-38 FPS.

I then rebooted the computer, and fired up again....and ten more fire up and shut down....all...loading out fully, and ready to fly.   So...I  DEFINITELY stand behind my statement, that using a mask of 84 on a 4 core CPU, will install stability and great FPS/TEXTURE/LONGEVITY performance. I certainly am not joking, and stand by statement, through many trial start ups...with contiguous successes.  When I made the comment that 'it allows the four actual cores, not virtual cores to do system maintenance, I meant within what P3D is demanding in process as well.  What ever sub-routines are being called upon...with the other four virtual cores adding a lower tier support role to that effort. I am getting BETTER FPS performance at 84, then ever I saw (if I actually made it to the flight start-up) with the setting of 254.255, that was (in theory, supposed to spread the texture load in, over a greater number of threads), so everybody needs to be influenced by what is happening on their own system, I guess.  We can read about one person's choice for the AM setting, but the end game..is what will work with the system in play.  In play for myself...with P3D?-------->AM=84/HT