Sign in to follow this  
Stelios

Going to South Africa in October.......

I found out that my wife and I will be going to South Africa in October. It's a reward trip based on purchases I made in my business. Of course, I'm looking forward to it, but I'd like to know more about it from any simmers here who've made the trip from New York, Newark, or Philadelphia. What are some of the idiosyncracies of this trip? I heard it's about 15 hours or so. Is there a flight I should consider with a specific "layover" or should I break it up over a few days and stay somewhere before going to final destination?I tried flying it last night in FS9. Took off from KJFK in an Airbus 340 loaded with fuel. Got out over the Atlantic with about 6500 miles to go. Left at 9:30PM from New York, on full AP, and left the computer. Went to bed at 10:30 or so, and looked forward to seeing where I was this morning when I awoke a 5:30AM. Unfortunately, I must have crashed somewhere because the 340 was back on the runway at JFK. I thought I had everything set properly: Speed (280kts), Altitude (34,000ft), and I flew in weather (ActiveSky).I hope FS2006 has a way to "play back" the last few minutes of ANY flight...even after a crash. Oh well, I'd love to hear from simmers who've made the flight in real life (with some tips for me), and perhaps even hear from simmers who reside in Capetown or general region about what South Africa is like. What should I be sure NOT to miss while there?Thanks...and I'd appreciate hearing from any of you.

Guest jaapverduijn

Contact Henk Hugo of the Shackleton Project. You might see the only still flying Shack in action from Ysterplaat near Capetown. Capetown, by the way, is beautifully situated. Table Mountain looks bloody gorgeous on totally clear days. And when you see a notice in public transport vehicles "Moenie spunie": it means: "Don't spit". In short: "Jy moenie spunie en nie kakpraat nie!" Although the latter tends to be more directed towards us Dutch...Happily you won't find any notices like in the Post office "Posseels blankes" and "Posseels nie-blankes" anymore. My African traveling days were back in the sixties, and those were totally different times in South Africa. I'll probably go back one of these days, to see the changes.Have fun, mate!Jaap verduijn.

Very interesting. I loved reading what you wrote. Table Mountain sounds spectacular. I plan to Google many sites and learn as much as I can before going. Still hoping to hear more from other South African travelers or residents.

HiSouth Africa is a fantastic place to visit. You must try and visit The Kruger Park game reserve. I would say spent 2-3 nights there you will see all sorts of animals. http://www.krugerpark.co.za/Ofcousre the Sun City is also a place to see. It's about 2 hours drive from Johannesburg. If you are going to Cape Town visit the wine area of Stellenbosch. Try the wonderful wines there.Stelios

Stelios Christofides

Stelios,Sounds beautiful. I will research what you told me. How is the climate in South Africa in October? What foods do you enjoy eating there, and what about safari planning?

Guest Brianw

Hi StanI have been trying to PM you, but it seems to be blocked. I have spoken to Henk Hugo this evening & he's having internet problems so you won't be able to access him at the moment. If you PM me I'll pass on is e-mail address to you.There is a flightsim club which operates from the Ysterplaat Airforce base in Cape Town & I'm sure they'd be more than happy to have you visit there - & show you the museum too.Unfortunately the Shackleton that Jaap spoke about has just recently been grounded - permanently I think, so you won't see it fly. Pity - it really was a great sight.Let me know if you're coming to Johannesburg. If you do, I will arrange a flight in the Mirage F1 simulator that was recently featured here at AvsimBrian

Guest jaapverduijn

"(...) Unfortunately the Shackleton that Jaap spoke about has just recently been grounded - permanently I think (...)"Brian Withers, you just ruined my day (sad, SAD grimace)! So she has finally lived her life of officially approved airworthiness to the unavoidable end, I guess? What's the main reason, probably nothing less than the requirement of a complete (and hence totally unaffordable) overhaul and re(out)fitting? Or is there any chance (I'm simply musing, in some vain hope) that "just" a new mainspar, or "just" one or two Griffons, or something like that would satsify the powers that be? I fear not... in order to make the burocrats happy you'll probably finish up with so much stuff replaced that you've got a new aeroplane, and not good old Pelican 22 anymore.Not to mention the incredible amount or rands involved.Will she become a static museum display? At least people can see her then, and walk (or rather stumble (grin!) around in her. Bloody ####, is nothing sacred anymore? Only 185 made, and the last surviving flyable one grounded forever. Sad.Be, nevertheless, well!Jaap Verduijn.

Guest jaapverduijn

Some sort of off-topic remark. I'll never understand the logic behind the so-called "obscenity filter" in this forums software. It filters out the socially acceptable and utterly decent anglosaxon word for "inferno", but leaves "bloody" in all its full and swearing glory to be seen by all. A flabbergasted Jaap.

Guest Brianw

Yip - spoiled my day too, when Henk told me. Probably more so since I saw it fly last time I was in Cape Town.Not sure if it is permanent or not, but if so - well....There is already one (not sure of the number - Henk will know) on display at the entrance to Ysterplaat so I don't know where they'll put 22. I guess we'll just have to wait for more news.There is also one on static display at Swartkops airforce base in Pretoria - right outside our local flightsim clubhouse!Anyway Jaap, when I get more news I'll pass it on - or more likely Henk will when his internet is fixedBrian

Thank you so much...all of you for the responses. South Africa may be the trip of my life! I will look forward to EVERYTHIMG you've written here. I am making sure that I research it all. That Mirage simulator sounds fantastic. I hope I have the time to do all that you recommend in South Africa. The farthest I've ever flown was to Hong Kong in 1989. I actually landed on the Sunday that China was using tanks in the Square. My trip to Canton was cancelled. However, I had a great week in Hong Kong. That was my longest flight. We used a BRAND NEW 747 (its 2nd flight...according to the pilot) and flew the Polar Route from KJFK over the Polar Ice Cap down past the Aleutian Islands into Tokyo (Narita...relatively new then). We left there after many Kurin (misspelled?) beers and flew another 4 1/2 hours into Kai Tek doing, I'm sure, the Checkerboard approach. I'm glad I didn't know then how difficult that airport was to fly into.I've flown into Italy and London several times since then, but the trip to South Africa seems like a b_ _ _ buster. Oh well, I'd love to hear from someone who's flown from N.Y. to Africa. Tell me about the trip.

Hi StanFirstly where are you going in S.A.? Johannesburg weather is mild. In October it's spring there and the temp. should be around 22C. At night it is a bit coolish. Food is great there. Try the steaks but sea food is excellent too. Ofcourse you must try Biltong (dry beef meat)you can find it everywhere. You can arrange for Safaris before hand but if you visit Kruger Park you can arrange it there otherwise you can get in contact with Nick at Limpopo Safaris and he will arrange one for you: http://www.limpopowild.co.za/By the way I lived in South Africa for 26 years.Stelios

Stelios Christofides