Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

"Microsoft Sells License to FS Franchise" Part 2

mad dog, on 10 Jun 2014 - 8:45 PM, said:mad dog, on 10 Jun 2014 - 8:45 PM, said:

What scalability does P3D lack ?

The entry market end. The schoolboy can't buy it in the supermarket. He even can't buy it without a CC online. Plus (please no discussion in this thread) it has a subtle EULA. There are no German/French... language versions (Yes, there are non-English speaking schoolboys outside the US.), and so on 

To make sure, I love Prepar3d. But I grew up with MSFS since FS4

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Whatever happens, the various sites will be scrambling for an interview!!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Wow!! $10 million for nothing more than coffee cup coasters!! I can't imagine how much they sacked for FSX!!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Wow!! $10 million for nothing more than coffee cup coasters!! I can't imagine how much they sacked for FSX!!

Flight never came on disks. It was online only.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

...FLIGHT and its DLC model did less than $10 million in the months that it was available. Is that enough encouragement to purchase that single product? I guess we'll find out sooner or later.

Considering that every dime of that "less than $10 million" came solely from DLC sales, that's pretty darned impressive! :Thinking:

Even more impressive when one remembers that there really wasn't a whole lot of DLC made available to begin with!!! :shok:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Considering that every dime of that "less than $10 million" came solely from DLC sales, that's pretty darned impressive! :Thinking:

Even more impressive when one remembers that there really wasn't a whole lot of DLC made available to begin with!!! :shok:

That was my point above!! Course it sounds prettier the way you put it!!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/

Even more impressive when one remembers that there really wasn't a whole lot of DLC made available to begin with!!!

True. Now, consider the likelihood of a Flight1, Aerosoft, Just Flight, PMDG, etc., developing for the FLIGHT platform and DLC controlled by whoever the franchisee is? As everyone should remember, one of the reasons that FLIGHT hit such a logger head, was the deliberate decision of MS to "force" 3PD's through their DLC system, high fees, ad nauseam. Not a pretty picture and unless the new licensee has a boat load of developers hiding somewhere, where is the new content going to come from? That's just one reason why I do NOT believe this is a FLIGHT only franchise.

I never was cut out to be a business Man. Takes all I can do to buy my beer, Flight sim stuff, house payment and then if there is any money left over I try to get some milk and food for the kids. Spending a large chunk of money for a product that by most accounts including from Microsoft was a complete flop even though they some how brought in 10 Million makes me think that somebodies kids are not going to get food at the the end of the month like mine will.

Sam

10 million in 5 months all DLC..nothing to sneeze at considering how many critics it had .

10 million isn't that much, considering. That would be just 200,000 users spending 50 on DLC over that 5 months. Those are not "the" numbers, they just nice even ones that I plucked from the air.

For those keeping score at home... it's worth considering that the details keep changing not because the reports are inaccurate, but because there's a negotiation in progress and the terms are changing.  Deal terms often change considerably in the last few days, hours or even minutes, and there's an odd but common and predictable stage when the parties wind up negotiating the final terms by revising and arguing over the press release.  Very strange when you're involved in it but I've seen it happen multiple times.  I have no idea what's going on in this particular case, but wanted to raise the possibility that we don't know because they don't know, at least not yet.  

It's a lot easier to be an outsider at times like this.

I never was cut out to be a business Man. Takes all I can do to buy my beer, Flight sim stuff, house payment and then if there is any money left over I try to get some milk and food for the kids. Spending a large chunk of money for a product that by most accounts including from Microsoft was a complete flop even though they some how brought in 10 Million makes me think that somebodies kids are not going to get food at the the end of the month like mine will.

You're a funny one shivers. Those poor kids. :biggrin:

For those keeping score at home... it's worth considering that the details keep changing not because the reports are inaccurate, but because there's a negotiation in progress and the terms are changing.

Sorry to contradict you here Alan, but the deal was done over a week ago... (Thus the conclusion that it was timed for E3)..

That's just one reason why I do NOT believe this is a FLIGHT only franchise.

I tend to agree, simply because it makes more business sense to maintain ultimate control of both platforms.

I envisage a scenario where, one one hand, FS continues to be enhanced and further developed by LM under the P3D brand. On the other hand Flight is further developed and opened up with controlled downloadable content in conjunction with various developers for the entertainment market. Something tells me to keep an eye on Aerosoft.

Sorry to contradict you here Alan, but the deal was done over a week ago... (Thus the conclusion that it was timed for E3)..

Tom -

No problem, of course - am happy to be contradicted, especially with facts as opposed to my speculation.  Good information drives out bad information - or at least it should.   B)