Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

"Microsoft Sells License to FS Franchise" Part 2

A forum is pointless if it isn't being used.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Someone said there would be a big announcement at E3.

After E3 no such announcement was made.

So people are discussing about what should have been announced and whether it might have not been announced because E3 is Entertainment and as a "serious" simmer thy should not feel entertained to begin with.

And so on, and on and on .......

Ok cool, so in other words I missed nothing. Thanks.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Actually, 19 pages of codswallop. WE don't know. I will only care when we have real info, if any!

Thank you for introducing me to the term "codswallop." I promise to work it in to a conversation today.  :lol:

Speculation is fun, and it's entertaining to see how creative we can be when predicting the future of this fascinating hobby. But I am confident that this "news" will not affect my sim experience at all. If it does, it will be years from now.

I've followed this story on several forums for the past 24 hours, but I am officially OUT in 3... 2..1...

One thing that nobody has considered! It may be that the deal did go through as AVSIM has reported, but the licensee for whatever reason has chosen not to make it public until they are further along with what they got planned. That could mean, we may not hear anything official for quite some time, as the parties may be under a NDA!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Prepar3d isn't a consumer sim unfortunately. At any moment they could begin enforcing their licenses more strictly. They could be forced to do so by whoever the new rights holder is to the FS brand. Prepar3d is nice but I think the legal grey area makes it iffy as a platform to invest in and rely on for the future. X-Plane on the other hand does not have that issue and will be a stable platform for the future.

So if you already own it they aren't going to try to take it away.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

P3D is sold only to their intended costumers - and you can only buy it for non-gaming uses, now, what not being used as a game constitutes,  that has never been defined.

we have also to remember who owns the license for P3D, not exactly a company many would like to become enemies with.

The reason for the delay can be attributed to nothing more than lawyers making sure that every detail is right.

Microsoft's Phil Spencer, who heads up gaming for the company, has explained why Windows efforts didn't factor into Microsoft's press conference earlier this week at E3.

"E3's a retail show," Spencer told Polygon. "It's a retail show, it's a console show, so it didn't really feel like the right place for us to talk about Windows. But Windows and gaming on Windows is critical to Microsoft's success."

Now they tell us!

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-microsoft-didn-t-talk-about-pc-gaming-at-e3/1100-6420478/

The funniest thing in this (part 1) thread so far is people really expecting Microsoft to use precious E3 time to announce the liquidation of a brand that they haven't cared about for a decade (yes, despite Flight) and that no one of the current generation of gamerz even knows.

Something I can speak authoritatively on is E3. Having covered it and presented at it at various times over the past 15 years or so. E3 is one of the worst possibe places for a small or niche player to make any sort of announcement. It's like a mouse trying to scream in a fully spun up wind tunnel. if it's not for consoles or the next major PC based mass appeal franchise and you aren't looking for multi-million dollar purchase orders from major game retailers (by the way, this is E3s real purpse, it's a retail trade show for purchasing agents), then the last place on earth you want to try and make any 'noise' in the industry is E3.

Some companies make a point of going dark during this week and the week following so they can get outside the sound blast and make their announcement in the 'clear'.  I would have been more surprised to hear anything this week than I would to have been by not hearing anything.

Also, one would think if these conversations have been taking place at various poitns and with various parties since some time in 2012, then whomever is ready to write the check already has a solid plan and strategy in place. Very likely a timeline as well. So a delay due to not having a strategy or plan in place would be extremely unlikey (and very worrisome).

Flightsim.com's forums seem almost dead, not dead in the since that Simflight's forums are but lackluster just the same no matter what you post. You can post something over there and get 1 or two replies in six days no matter the importance. It's sad because along with Avsim I want that site to stay prominent as well. I post over there at times to help keep the traffic up but it's night and day compared to Avsim. There's a flood of conversation/information here that's not found anywhere else in our community.

Seams about right to me.

I stopped going over there about 4 or 5 years ago because I found them to be lock happy and don't care attitude. I used to use their store exclusively from when I first started using FSX until about 2010 but now avoid them like the plague. Poor treatment of the community I felt.

AVSIM feels at home and by far the better forum. Mods have a tough job but diplomatically speaking, AVSIM is the best forum for all things Flight Sim

Matthew Kane

For consumers there's the Gamescom in Cologne in August. Probably we'll get to know more then.

I finally learned something from this thread. Now I know what codswallop means.

Elvis Presley.

That cannot be true because he is dead,

That cannot be true because he is dead,

Not according to Men In Black which specifically stated he got bored and went back to his home planet.......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5