Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

"Microsoft Sells License to FS Franchise" Part 2

That's some seriously old tech, though. It they really spent a supposed mint for the license, they might as well have gone ahead and made something of their own!

Not when you factor in MS Flight's code.  Too many people here have written off Flight as an arcade game, without even seeing the potential of this sim. 

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Not when you factor in MS Flight's code.  Too many people here have written off Flight as an arcade game, without even seeing the potential of this sim. 

True, but now I wonder if Flight was part of the deal. If its just FSX, then its hard to think of a logical point.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

True, but now I wonder if Flight was part of the deal. If its just FSX, then its hard to think of a logical point.

Tom seems to think that it still does:

I will just come out and state a fact that was true as of the closure of negotiations with all but the ultimate licensee... The easiest way to say this is to say what the license did not include. It did not include ESP. It did include everything else; FLIGHT, FSX, and Train Sim 2. Could that have changed in the final negotiations? Sure it could have, but for at least one reason already stated, I doubt it.

EDIT: and you can buy a license from MS for ESP too, but you will pay the same as LMOC and Northrup Grumman did. :lol:

~ Arwen ~

I think we would be all better off if the FS community would stop simulating being a lawyer and spend more time simulating flying a plane.

Well said.

I completely agree, Mike. Let us know how you get on with those FBI chaps :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

My conspiracy theory is:

All the kind donations we've been giving to Avsim over the years was never to support server costs and so forth, but was actually in support of the bid to buy the license from Microsoft. ;D

So really, we're all the new owners of it.

DUN DUN DUN

Right now the FS engine, X-Plane engines and maybe Outerra are really the only proven global graphic engines out there today.

Didn't you forget the FlightGear engine ? It was the first 64-bit engine (long before X-Plane) and it has already many features missing in FSX (local weather, cockpit shadows, etc...). It has also the best license for the community (GNU General Public License) which means freedom, but this may also frighten commercial add-on developers.

The development or "3.2" version (you can compile it using the Git sources) has new interesting features:

http://www.flightgear.org/info/a-preview-of-features-for-flightgear-3-2/

I completely agree, Mike. Let us know how you get on with those FBI chaps :smile:

^_^ It's a bit strange to read more than 20 pages of a topic about a "license" and then read posts claiming people should not care about the EULA of a product.

The term "not to be used for entertainment purposes" is a legal cover for Lockheed Martin. Why is this so difficult for some people to understand?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The term "not to be used for entertainment purposes" is a legal cover for Lockheed Martin. Why is this so difficult for some people to understand?

People don`t have difficulty in understanding, people just have difficulty in not taking themselves too seriously.

People want to keep believing their "sim" is the real thing, when everything you do is just game.

Not when you factor in MS Flight's code. Too many people here have written off Flight as an arcade game, without even seeing the potential of this sim.

Arwen, you hit the nail again IMO because of seeing the real potential of "FLIGHT".

Actually it was MS's attempt (and actually good idea) to make a community sim, online flying + sales, open to add ons, x-box-like, a pro- and gamer/consumer customer sim, air-ground-water (-submerge?) world simulator.

MS started a service called "MSN messenger" on 22th july 1999 that was consolidated with "Skype" in April 2013. "Facebook" was founded on the 4th February 2004 with its known impact. As a parallel to that history I can very easily imagine that Mr. Zuckerberg could be the "Flight"-shopper because he needs a 3D-world for his "Oculus Rift"-plans (here, again, the link): 

https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10101319050523971

And that would also explain buying a "Train"-Simulator. There are also Ship- and Car/Bus/Truck-simulators on the market.

Mr. Zuckerberg's dream of building a whole world of 3D-simulation starting with the universal community-ready MS "Flight"-code would be very "consequential" and effective...

Greetings,

Claus

Whoever has bought this, I think that the big question is why have they bought it? If we knew the answer to that then we might have some idea of what we can look forward to.

In the meantime, it seems to me that FLIGHT currently offers the most potential for an advanced flight simulation experience if someone is prepared to fill in all of the gaps (lots of them) at an acceptable price.

Arwen, you hit the nail again IMO because of seeing the real potential of "FLIGHT".

Actually it was MS's attempt (and actually good idea) to make a community sim, online flying + sales, open to add ons, x-box-like, a pro- and gamer/consumer customer sim, air-ground-water (-submerge?) world simulator.

MS started a service called "MSN messenger" on 22th july 1999 that was consolidated with "Skype" in April 2013. "Facebook" was founded on the 4th February 2004 with its known impact. As a parallel to that history I can very easily imagine that Mr. Zuckerberg could be the "Flight"-shopper because he needs a 3D-world for his "Oculus Rift"-plans (here, again, the link): 

And that would also explain buying a "Train"-Simulator. There are also Ship- and Car/Bus/Truck-simulators on the market.

Mr. Zuckerberg's dream of building a whole world of 3D-simulation starting with the universal community-ready MS "Flight"-code would be very "consequential" and effective...

Greetings,

Claus

^^Welcome back to "Second Life" ;)^^

To throw just another speculation: I have read through the past pages of discussion and besides some really good speculations did anyone ever thought that someone could have bought the complete franchise (FS- and TrainSim...) to just dump it to get rid of a real or potential competitor and to close the whole entertainment thing asap? And as MS has no more business interest in this, LM runs a quite different business and won't be affected from that at all, this could be a win-win situation for all of them? ;)

(as I am no native English speaker I hope it's understandable what I tryed to express)

This is valid point, best post on subject me read is post # 21 from top by the family man in link here.

http://www.simforums.com/Forums/i-got-p3d-v2-but-im-sad_topic47919_page3.html

English expression.... family man nailed it.

Olga Van Kranendonk

Thanks. :) The following is from April's 'Angle of Attack' - Episode 15; interview with Orbx's John Venema (about two-thirds of the way down the page):

John: We can now execute and continue to execute well to create the environments that we want to experience ourselves eight years ago. If there’s any innovation that we want to go from here, it would be around creating an experience inside an airport. If I want to allude to something that’s been going around in my mind and I’ll tease you with it, if you can imagine Tate getting out of the aircraft, having a full on conversation with an animated person, and having a branched conversation that allows you to take the experience from the cockpit into the FPA or the café or talk to a mechanic while he’s cleaning his cylinder head or something like that.

That is something that I want to achieve. There’s technologies out there that we’re going to explore about how to move to that level because my demographic that I believe follow Orbx passionately are people who are explorers who love the atmosphere of the airport, of landing and walking around and soaking it in. What if we can take that to the next level? So you land in the sim. You get out of the aircraft and then you experience a whole different thing. A little [inaudible] [58:04]. Yes, there could even be an opportunity for a storyline-based experience to kick in once you add all that, or a mission that you do which is help the fisherman find his lost boat or have conversations with villagers to say, have you heard about the boat that went missing, you know? They’re out there with a float [inaudible] [58:25] trying to see if the tide’s taken out. These sorts of experiences and I can tell you now there’s going to be customers saying, we want that.

Too many of us seem to be stuck in the 'Flightsim Box.' while there's a LOT more potential (and movement/creativity) happening outside the box. Look at Prepar3D; it also includes bathymetry. Virtual world development is where the future in simulation is going to be.

~ Arwen ~