Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

"Microsoft Sells License to FS Franchise" Part 2

I think you're jumping the gun a little by immediately declaring FS dead.

Perhaps we should wait and see what this new team brings to the table instead of making fairly extreme assumptions. Of course, you may be correct, however, it is equally likely you may be incorrect.  

Agreed.  The new rumor is FLIGHT is the franchise that's been bought not 'Flight Simulator'.  That may actually be a good thing as I don't believe a development house with less resources than a Microsoft or LM could do justice to the full on FS franchise.

http://www.simflight.com/2014/06/10/news-microsoft-flight-simulator/

Hey Tom get the story straight will you...  :lol:

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I just sure hope that a very extensive history lesson is learned before this new company starts making a total mess of things like the release of FSX (Until Phil Taylor came along) and MS Flight.

My advice is to listen to simmers and keep them happy ( within reason of course ) or it will not succeed.

If its not 64 bit then I intend to totally ignore the product.

I dunno. To make it 'succeed' in a big way they probably wouldn't want to listen to hardcore sim gimps too much. My speculation is that it will be the train simulator people, who will basically pick up ms flight where it was left off and start expanding it via add ons rather than updating the underlying code. Personally I wouldn't see this as a bad thing, it will just be a slightly different space in the market than fsx/ p3d, and potentially much bigger in terms of cash generation.

Having said that, I really have no idea how much money train simulator makes through steam.

Agreed.  The new rumor is FLIGHT is the franchise that's been bought not 'Flight Simulator'.  That may actually be a good thing as I don't believe a development house with less resources than a Microsoft or LM could do justice to the franchise.

Eh, nothing is concrete until we have a press release, which I hope will come soon. I'm starting to not know what to think! :P

Aamir Thacker

People also seem to have counted out Orbx, but if they could pony up the cash I think FLIGHT would be great for them too.

Sell their sceneries themselves through the in-game store, automatic updates, copy protection.......

An entire world waiting to be filled.......

No more reliance on the vagaries of MS (well MS was out of the picture anyway) or even LM......

Secure base to build on without having to wonder if the rug might be pulled out from under them at any time......

I always wondered if their apparent hostility to the sim might be blinding them to an opportunity. 

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Exactly this. I like Train Sim but the DLC model is absolutely horrible. Total cost for all the DLC is over $2,000.

What's the cost of all the FSX "DLC"?

Donald Sterling has some cash now.

John Callum   Nothing is impossible if you don't have to do it yourself.

Win 10, X-Plane 11.50, FS2020, Honeycomb Alpha, Saitek panels, HP Reverb G2

Orbx has counted out Orbx. JV said himself they did not buy it.

What's the cost of all the FSX "DLC"?

Exactly!

Re orbx etc, I doubt any of the fsx players, even the big ones, have anywhere near enough money to be able to buy something like this.

Has there been any updates recently on xplane's greenlight process by the way, since they were accepted? Could be a nice little competition on steam between this new one and xplane which would be healthy

Donald Sterling has some cash now.

I'd funny this one if I could...

FS2020 

Ten to one UNILOC bought the License, and is preparing to start Court proceedings against anyone who created 3rd party add ons for MSFS.

Hey... they're going after X Plane, so why not?

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

I'd funny this one if I could...

Use a Smiley, same thing.

Use a Smiley, same thing.

I like the other way, right in his post.  Less messy looking by requiring an extra post to get the point across...

FS2020 

It will be very interesting to hear from the new owners on how they intend to develop Flight and whether there will be a SDK for developers.

I'm hoping that if/when the new owners announce anything this week, that they aren't simply going to say, 'Yeah, we bought it', but expand more vividly on what their goals are with the platform and the timelines to achieve those goals.  I also hope they come prepped to address key themes that get slung about these forms on a daily basis:

64 bit

backward compatibility

3rd party development

open architecure

They should address and dispell from their business model absolute failed ideas in the flightsim world, like DLC.  Just because they have bought the MSFlight licence doesn't necessarily mean they intend to follow the same business model as MS had proposed with Flight.  If they do intend to follow the DLC route, and skim the cream from developer's profits, then they may as well have tipped a truckload of cash down the biggest toilet imaginable.  If the new owner is Aerosoft, I doubt they would do something that foolish.

I always wondered if their apparent hostility to the sim might be blinding them to an opportunity

A bit like their apparent hostility to making their FTX airfields 100% compatible with photographic scenery. I never did understand why that was the case.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png