Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

"Microsoft Sells License to FS Franchise" Part 2

Whoever it is for whatever it is and if and when there is further development, I just hope its taken seriously with a real hardcore flight simulation mindset rather than just some cool looking flying game with missions to go through a square. This will only work if there is 3PDs as it makes the product very robust in choices and competition, and we use real world simulation by products as they are now, like navdata updating, (world scenery and FMC updating) RW weather engine properly rendered, and a very accurate and realistic FDE *within the confines of desktop simulation) , full traffic in use, ATC, etc all the while having excellent performance or else this wont work and we might as well just stick with what we have and hope for their best improvements. Anything feeling like a console type game, it will hit some wicked windshear, crash and burn. 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hardcore need no apply as it needs mass appeal or it not gonna work out. Xplane and P3d is for hardcore simmer. The new program not targeted at us longtime simmers anyways.

Hardcore need no apply as it needs mass appeal or it not gonna work out. Xplane and P3d is for hardcore simmer. The new program not targeted at us longtime simmers anyways.

Wasn't the success of the Flight Simulator Franchise just based on its scalability? A schoolboy could buy FS whatever in a supermarket to take off in Chicago Meigs for a circuit, and if he kept interested, he was able to handle a 777 using the same base System a couple of years later.

Flight lacked this scalability on the one end as does Prepar3d (purposely) on the other one.

Kind regards, Michael

Flight lacked this scalability on the one end as does Prepar3d

What scalability does P3D lack ?

Okay, I am going to post a bit more at the risk of everyone here feeling they are being subjected to water torture...

Regarding reports from other sites that it is only the FLIGHT title... As of December 2013, the composition of the major teams in pursuit of this would not have been interested in a FLIGHT specific license (only). When we reported this on Sunday evening, we specifically stated:

AVSIM is being told by multiple sources that Microsoft, after years of dickering and sometimes murky intentions, has sold the license to the FS franchise.

The "FS Franchise" could consist of all products in the lineup or just one. My belief (not fact, but supposition on my part) is that it consists of the FS product line (that is FSX & FLIGHT). If not, some group paid a whopping amount of money for a single product that did not show much success (in MS' view) in the short time it was on the market. As I have stated earlier, FLIGHT and its DLC model did less than $10 million in the months that it was available. Is that enough encouragement to purchase that single product? I guess we'll find out sooner or later.

mad dog, on 10 Jun 2014 - 8:45 PM, said:mad dog, on 10 Jun 2014 - 8:45 PM, said:

What scalability does P3D lack ?

The entry market end. The schoolboy can't buy it in the supermarket. He even can't buy it without a CC online. Plus (please no discussion in this thread) it has a subtle EULA. There are no German/French... language versions (Yes, there are non-English speaking schoolboys outside the US.), and so on 

To make sure, I love Prepar3d. But I grew up with MSFS since FS4

Kind regards, Michael

Whatever happens, the various sites will be scrambling for an interview!!

Wow!! $10 million for nothing more than coffee cup coasters!! I can't imagine how much they sacked for FSX!!

Wow!! $10 million for nothing more than coffee cup coasters!! I can't imagine how much they sacked for FSX!!

Flight never came on disks. It was online only.

...FLIGHT and its DLC model did less than $10 million in the months that it was available. Is that enough encouragement to purchase that single product? I guess we'll find out sooner or later.

Considering that every dime of that "less than $10 million" came solely from DLC sales, that's pretty darned impressive! :Thinking:

Even more impressive when one remembers that there really wasn't a whole lot of DLC made available to begin with!!! :shok:

Considering that every dime of that "less than $10 million" came solely from DLC sales, that's pretty darned impressive! :Thinking:

Even more impressive when one remembers that there really wasn't a whole lot of DLC made available to begin with!!! :shok:

That was my point above!! Course it sounds prettier the way you put it!!

Even more impressive when one remembers that there really wasn't a whole lot of DLC made available to begin with!!!

True. Now, consider the likelihood of a Flight1, Aerosoft, Just Flight, PMDG, etc., developing for the FLIGHT platform and DLC controlled by whoever the franchisee is? As everyone should remember, one of the reasons that FLIGHT hit such a logger head, was the deliberate decision of MS to "force" 3PD's through their DLC system, high fees, ad nauseam. Not a pretty picture and unless the new licensee has a boat load of developers hiding somewhere, where is the new content going to come from? That's just one reason why I do NOT believe this is a FLIGHT only franchise.

I never was cut out to be a business Man. Takes all I can do to buy my beer, Flight sim stuff, house payment and then if there is any money left over I try to get some milk and food for the kids. Spending a large chunk of money for a product that by most accounts including from Microsoft was a complete flop even though they some how brought in 10 Million makes me think that somebodies kids are not going to get food at the the end of the month like mine will.

10 million in 5 months all DLC..nothing to sneeze at considering how many critics it had .

10 million isn't that much, considering. That would be just 200,000 users spending 50 on DLC over that 5 months. Those are not "the" numbers, they just nice even ones that I plucked from the air.

For those keeping score at home... it's worth considering that the details keep changing not because the reports are inaccurate, but because there's a negotiation in progress and the terms are changing.  Deal terms often change considerably in the last few days, hours or even minutes, and there's an odd but common and predictable stage when the parties wind up negotiating the final terms by revising and arguing over the press release.  Very strange when you're involved in it but I've seen it happen multiple times.  I have no idea what's going on in this particular case, but wanted to raise the possibility that we don't know because they don't know, at least not yet.  

It's a lot easier to be an outsider at times like this.

I never was cut out to be a business Man. Takes all I can do to buy my beer, Flight sim stuff, house payment and then if there is any money left over I try to get some milk and food for the kids. Spending a large chunk of money for a product that by most accounts including from Microsoft was a complete flop even though they some how brought in 10 Million makes me think that somebodies kids are not going to get food at the the end of the month like mine will.

You're a funny one shivers. Those poor kids. :biggrin:

For those keeping score at home... it's worth considering that the details keep changing not because the reports are inaccurate, but because there's a negotiation in progress and the terms are changing.

Sorry to contradict you here Alan, but the deal was done over a week ago... (Thus the conclusion that it was timed for E3)..

That's just one reason why I do NOT believe this is a FLIGHT only franchise.

I tend to agree, simply because it makes more business sense to maintain ultimate control of both platforms.

I envisage a scenario where, one one hand, FS continues to be enhanced and further developed by LM under the P3D brand. On the other hand Flight is further developed and opened up with controlled downloadable content in conjunction with various developers for the entertainment market. Something tells me to keep an eye on Aerosoft.

Sorry to contradict you here Alan, but the deal was done over a week ago... (Thus the conclusion that it was timed for E3)..

Tom -

No problem, of course - am happy to be contradicted, especially with facts as opposed to my speculation.  Good information drives out bad information - or at least it should.   B)

Well, hmph, it appears that simflight.com is saying that the licensee is one who is no stranger to the simulation market. 

Strengthens my belief that it's either Dovetail or Aerosoft. Either way, a new sim with the "Flight" engine with the scale of FSX would be immense. 

We have one its called p3d V2 its alot better than flight

I tend to agree, simply because it makes more business sense to maintain ultimate control of both platforms.

I will just come out and state a fact that was true as of the closure of negotiations with all but the ultimate licensee... The easiest way to say this is to say what the license did not include. It did not include ESP. It did include everything else; FLIGHT, FSX, and Train Sim 2. Could that have changed in the final negotiations? Sure it could have, but for at least one reason already stated, I doubt it.

EDIT: and you can buy a license from MS for ESP too, but you will pay the same as LMOC and Northrup Grumman did. :lol:

I'm hoping that if/when the new owners announce anything this week, that they aren't simply going to say, 'Yeah, we bought it', but expand more vividly on what their goals are with the platform and the timelines to achieve those goals.  I also hope they come prepped to address key themes that get slung about these forms on a daily basis:

64 bit

backward compatibility

3rd party development

open architecure

They should address and dispell from their business model absolute failed ideas in the flightsim world, like DLC.  Just because they have bought the MSFlight licence doesn't necessarily mean they intend to follow the same business model as MS had proposed with Flight.  If they do intend to follow the DLC route, and skim the cream from developer's profits, then they may as well have tipped a truckload of cash down the biggest toilet imaginable.  If the new owner is Aerosoft, I doubt they would do something that foolish.

Sadly if it was a 64 bit application none of the current addons would work.

This rumor is now making a lot more sense. I would think that some company who knows consoles bought the rights to MS Flight with the intent of putting it on the XBox.

This rumor is now making a lot more sense. I would think that some company who knows consoles bought the rights to MS Flight with the intent of putting it on the XBox.

Remember I said it first...  :Cuppa: