Sign in to follow this  
Guest daveg4otu

XP performance help?

If you are using XP Home or XP Pro and have performance issues in FS or other games you might want to try this. I have not had any performance issues but see many posted here.It is a update to file, ntdll.dll only. It was already posted in update Rollup 1. The version of Ntdll.dll in this patch is 5.1.2600.1177 posted on 28-Feb-2003 and the version in the update rollup 1 is 5.1.2600.1217 posted on 01-May-2003. It will also be in SP2 which is in beta 1 now. If you install it now and then install SP2 it will not cause problems. The older will not overwrite a newer one. Copy and paste the link. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;815411I did notice that my CPU useage went down about 4-5%. My OS seems much smoother also. Make sure if you install it to make a restore point as always if you want to go back. Get it here. http://home.cwru.edu/~bwm3/Q815411_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exeHope it helps someone. :-)Jay

Guest kilo_sierra17

Been talked about a long time ago, but incase some people missed it.

Hi Jay,I have XP Home (SP1) and after running a search I find I have 2 versions of this file in the following destinations.Version: 5.1.2600.1106C:Windows$NtUninstallKB....etcC:WindowsLastGoodSystem32C:WindowsServicePackFilesi386Version: 5.1.2600.1217C:WindowsSystem32I guess somehow my system was updated during one of my occasional trips to the Windows XP Update site, if the file in the System32 folder is the one we are interested in having installed.Mike

Kurt, I did a quick search but saw nothing directly related here.Mike, you got it.Jay

Guest daveg4otu

I d/l and installed this and must say it is worth doing - it seems to have helped both with reduced CPU usage and ,perhaps most important ,a smoother FS9DaveAMD Athlon 2000XP (@133/133)ECS K7S5A Mobo 3.1 :04/29/02 Rev BiosSiS 735 Chipset Rev 12 x 256mb DDR RAMGeforce4 Ti-4200-8x 128mb DDR AGPAGP 1.17 WHQL . 5216 Detonator XP Drivers2 x Maxtor 40GB HDD (7200rpm)LG 8x4x32 CDRWLG 52x CDRDirect X 9.0 Windows ME( FS2002)/ Windows XP( FS2004) dual bootBIOS Settings- DRAM Timing Ultra. CAS Latency 3T,RAS ACtive 6T,RAS Precharge 3TL1 Cache Enabled.L2 Cache Enabled.Sys BIOS Cache Disabled.DRAM Drive Slew Rating - Fast