Sign in to follow this  
Heimi

MS Flight continues... new rumours

I never uninstalled it and have it on two machines. Works great on my i5 laptop also.

I fly it every day.

Steve

I cant even re-install flight     :(

I can install it right now with Games for Windows Marketplace.  Just tested. Make sure you uncheck 'remember password' and type it again. Should log in, then you can re/install the game and add-ons.

Also. If you bought the game on Steam. You can still re-install the game even though it is no longer sold on Steam.

The game just vanished from my hard drive (I did not delete it). I just straight up copied the files from my laptop onto a flash drive then onto my computer, and it works now :)

I wish I had the hawaii expansion pack. I have all the dlc except the Hawaii pack, but is there a way to buy it. the market place wont let me buy it, and if the gfwl servers are going down, I need to get it. 

Since the Flight marketplace will not allow you to but the expansion pack, there is no other way of obtaining the pack.

Since the Flight marketplace will not allow you to but the expansion pack, there is no other way of obtaining the pack.

By the way, thanks for the Nostalgia!  ^_^

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Can it be true?

According to Gamespot, and "contrary to rumors, Microsoft insists that it is not shutting down Games For Windows Live on July 1, 2014."

This news means that Flight will stay alive for a while now, but it does not bring anything new. Even though the platform may continue, we will not see any new content for the game! The multiplayer will still function and us Flight players can carry on playing the content we have purchased. Now it gets even more unlikely that Microsoft will release an SDK for the community.

However, the message given by Microsoft is very vague and it is very hard to predict what they will do next.
Another interesting article here.

For me, GFWL was a bad move in the first place.

"contrary to rumors, Microsoft insists that it is not shutting down Games For Windows Live on July 1, 2014."

MS is full of horse processed and naturally redistributed grass! In political circles, this is known as "Walking back" a statement.

GFW_is_Dead-610x615_zpsc3aacaf0.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

This is good news for multiplayer, but kind of sucks for community addons\aerocaches.  It will be hard, if not impossible to get community aerocaches working in combination with GFWL.  However, if I can get multiplayer working we can all ditch GFWL even if the servers are up and use my version instead.  At least it makes it so I don't need to be in so much of a rush :)

I'm doing some quick testing of a new version of the toolkit right now.  Once that is complete I will send it out so people can save their profile data incase the servers ever do go down in the near future.

Hopefully the servers will go down to make things easier for everyone! I really want to get some more aerocaches into the game (and some Missions!), but that is proving impossible right now! 

Microsoft will possibly "walk back" the current statement once they find out that GFWL was a massive failure! 

Stone, can't you just disconnect your internet and then try out your quick experiment. There is no connection so could'nt this resemble Flight with no Flight server?

They already gave up on GFWL before Flight even shipped.  I think the only reason the servers are not going down is to avoid pissing off gamers any more than they already have.  I think it was only a failure because they didn't have a proper investment for it.  Now that investment is on the Microsoft Store in Win8.

Lots of talk. Put simply....

GFWL has been discontinued, not shut down.

MS can host the web services required to activate the game and supply DLC until a distant future date. With their own cloud scalable resources, the could do this perpetually.  They no longer need dedicated servers to support the occasional network packets for an aging product.

So what ever happened with all this license stuff?  I thought we would know by the end of the week... a couple of weeks ago...

So what ever happened with all this license stuff?  I thought we would know by the end of the week... a couple of weeks ago...

Only Tom knows.... and an evil coven of dark sorcerers...... And maybe my cat. :ph34r:

Devons rig