Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

Kudos to Rana Hossain and Matt Fox!

My thanks to Rana Hossain for creating the great FS Moving Map program and to Matt Fox for providing us with all the sectionals! I appreciate the effort both of you have made in contributing to our hobby.KP

Matt and Rana, A Big thanx from me too !! Spent a good part of the day yesterday downloading ( AVSim was a tad sloooow ) converting to GIF, didn't work. Then converting to 8 bit BMP. YEAH !!! Cleanup time to find room for the 3 Gig! of bitmaps. I'm running it on a PIII 450 w/ 288m of RAM, WideFS, SB, AVC and now FSMMM.... Absolutely BRILLIANT :-)Matt... Just wondering... Are you planning to do High and/or Low Enroute charts also ??? May need make some more room in the dusty old box to make fit if so. Regards,Roman(KGRB)

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

>Matt... Just wondering... Are you planning to do High and/or>Low Enroute charts also ??? May need make some more room in>the dusty old box to make fit if so.>> >Regards,>Roman>(KGRB)>I found some enroute charts online for much of the world, but not the US. Once I finishe the Alaska Sectionals, I'll try working on the Europen enroute charts. Still hoping somehow to get ahold of digital enroute charts of the US. I have paper copies, but would need an oversided scanner to scan them. Anyone have access to an oversize scanner??Matt

Guest joeven

Thanks for those sectionals. They are great.Now, what would be really nice would be to have all of the landmarks that are noted on the sectionals (race tracks, golf courses, towers, buildings, etc.) as scenery objects in FS9. Then we could navigate by referring to the charts and spotting the noted landmarks below. That would be cool. I would think that those kind of important objects would be of more use than a lot of meaningless autogen objects.

>Thanks for those sectionals. They are great.>Now, what would be really nice would be to have all of the>landmarks that are noted on the sectionals (race tracks, golf>courses, towers, buildings, etc.) as scenery objects in FS9.>Then we could navigate by referring to the charts and spotting>the noted landmarks below. That would be cool. I would think>that those kind of important objects would be of more use than>a lot of meaningless autogen objects.That would be cool....I bet if you made a database with the lat/lon of every object and what the object is someone could add them pretty easily :)Matt

Hi thereThere is all ready two programs to do this EZ Vfr and EZ landmarks from abacus

Hi, Matt and everyone.Many thanks for your and Rana's work. I am trying to understand the definition of the ".ini" files, to alow import into the FSMM? I have some older, Low level scans of some charts, not very good quality, but I am not sure if they can be geo referenced, I will try it and let you know. I can post a pic. of one to give you an idea of the quality if you want. I only have some states, not a complete US.I will try to leave a message for Rana with a suggestion to change / add some things in the next version, like add the ability to accept a GPS input, from a Serial / Com port or USB, in addition to the FS.I tried to change the color from black to red of the Locator airplane, in Kneepad>Setup.. and I get a system lock up, with an error

In order for a map to be georeferenced for FSMMM it has to meet three criteria.1) Must be in Geographic Projection. This means lat/lon lines must be straight lines and not curved.2) Must be to scale. (SID/STAR charts are not to scale)3) Must have 2-4 locations on the map with known lat/lon values/If it meets these criteria, should be able to import into FSMMM. Then you can use FSMMM to generate the ini file so others can use it.If you want to email me a sample of what you have and I can tell you if it can be imported. (mattfox@starstream.net)Other questions, you might check the support forum at http://www.ranainside.com/software_flightsim_movingmap.htmlMatt

Guest joeven

>That would be cool....I bet if you made a database with the>lat/lon of every object and what the object is someone could>add them pretty easily :)>>MattThis may be too big of a project for an individual & perhaps MS might take notice of the idea. The data already exists. The company that made the sectional charts has it. Getting them to share it, that is the issue.Joe

Guest joeven

>Hi there>There is all ready two programs to do this EZ Vfr and EZ>landmarks from abacusI believe that those two programs just put labels on the items that are already in MS9 and don't add any of the many missing points of reference that are on the sectional charts. Please correct me if I am wrong since I don't have the Abacus programs.If you look closely at a real sectional chart or one of the nice images that Matt has uploaded you will see a number of small dots and squares scattered throughout the chart. They have labels such as "oil well", "water tank", "golf course", etc. Most of these are not represented in MS9. If they were, an MS pilot could lay out his course line on the sectional chart and note which of the points of reference are near to his course line. As he flies along, he can verify his course by observing the items on the ground below. Joe

>I tried to change the color from black to red of the Locator>airplane, in Kneepad>Setup.. and I get a system lock up, with>an error