Sign in to follow this  
White Hawk

Please help me back into FS

Thanks.  I guess since right now neither my cpu or video card are very good (I have a sub-par pre-made HP), I can pretty much build my machine around whichever sim I use.  From what I've read, it seems like a few years down the road PD3 might be the next generation ... esp since apparently Microsoft just sold the rights to the FSX code to another company.  That's what the rumor are.  Until I have some more spending money, I'm stuck with my set up.  It works, just not beautifully.  Oh well.  Happy flying! 

So, can I ask again for peoples help with the best addons available today for FSX, and what not to expensive yoke is good, and if the Saitek/Madcatz Pro Flight Yoke is good and reliable.

Thanks.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHN we're down.

So, can I ask again for peoples help with the best addons available today for FSX, and what not to expensive yoke is good, and if the Saitek/Madcatz Pro Flight Yoke is good and reliable.

Thanks.

The Saitek yoke is both good and reliable but the throttle that comes with it is made with bad potentiometers and eventually starts to get more and more random spiking which eventually means it needs replacing.

I have the Saitek throttle and if you use two or more throttle axes to control your engines they will never be equal and I'm not sure why. They never stay at the same amount. For example on the NGX while taxiing I've had it go Engine 1: 26.4% and then Engine 2: 23.8%, even though they were positioned exactly the same. It causes a pulling factor, making taxiing harder.

Well I've just bit the bullet on my first yoke, the as mentioned Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Yoke, Pro Flight Cessna rudder pedals, Pro Flight Cessna trim wheel, and Pro Flight switch panel.

Now I'm all set for hardware, please keep the addon suggestions coming.

Thanks.

So nothing else can people suggest?  A couple of questions while I wait.  :biggrin:

If I buy FTX Global (is it REALLY worth it?) would there be any point in buying the individual regions like Wales, England Scotland etc, or are they included?

BTW I bought the Lancair Legacy as it's half price, very nice, I'm eyeing that Duke now.  :Batting Eyelashes:  Should have my flight gear on Wednesday, can't wait, my early birthday gift to myself, just about to make a choice on what FS gift my girlfriend can get me, nothing too expensive so the FTX scenery and PMDG stuff is out, maybe that Duke or GSX.  how does GSX work with addon scenery and planes, any conflicts?

And is REX Texture Direct worth it, how about that OpusFSX?

Thanks again.

GSX is cool but better for airliners.

I'd get the Duke but my GA bias is showing lol

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If I buy FTX Global (is it REALLY worth it?) would there be any point in buying the individual regions like Wales, England Scotland etc, or are they included?

Well, that sorta depends.  FTXGlobalBase (FTXGB) is generic textures, and while the specific areas (e.g. those you mentioned) are truthfully "generic" they are very high end generic.  You will see textures based on the specific area where you are flying.  If there are key scenery points of interest they may well be included in the area sets.  The FTXGB covers the entire globe so you will see good, but not particularly accurate textures when you fly outside those high end texture areas you may have purchased.

I have REX4 HD Texture installed and IMHO it really adds to the flight sim experience.  Do note, these are not textures for landforms but things like more detailed clouds, water, runways, lightening, and more.  Very easy to install (at least in my experience).  Do note, again IMHO, the wx engine in REX is junk.  Use either Opus or Active Sky Next (my fave).

Duke and Flight1 King Air for me.  (You need both!  chuckle)

Hey thanks woodhick, I'm afraid I'm still a little confused about FTX, say if I buy one of the uk regions, is it any different in that region of the world to what is included in the global pack or are they just cutting up sections to people who don't want to spend so much?

I've seen a few people using ASN with REX4 so that seems to be the good combo to go with, thanks.

As for the King Air, yeah just saw that on Frooglesim on youtube last night, that's another to add to the list. :-)

For example, FTX-G does NOT include POIs, photoreal areas, upgraded airports, which are included in the FTX regions.

The regions also include vector data (roads, streets, railways and stuff). For vector data to appear with FTX-G, you'd have to purchase separately the ORBX openLC package(s).

Long story short, a region is 'complete', FTX-G is not.

On the other hand, FTX-G is ... 'global'; those textures improve places all over the world, while regions are limited in their coverages.

"For example, FTX-G does NOT include POIs, photoreal areas, upgraded airports, which are included in the FTX regions.

The regions also include vector data (roads, streets, railways and stuff). For vector data to appear with FTX-G, you'd have to purchase separately the ORBX openLC package(s).

Long story short, a region is 'complete', FTX-G is not.

On the other hand, FTX-G is ... 'global'; those textures improve places all over the world, while regions are limited in their coverages."

===========================================

Well said Oliver  :)

Rich Sennett

Thanks Oliver, as stated in my previous post a lot of people like the Active Sky Next weather engine, but I've also heard a lot of good things about the Opus engine, which would people suggest, I'm just about to pull the trigger on one and REX Texture Direct.

Thanks.

I've never talked Opus users into ASN.

Currently ASN seems to be the better choice (even airplane developers have started integrating wx radars in their NDs, interfacing with ASN data, specifically), but maybe this will change with the next Opus update?!?

If I had Opus, I'd stay with it. If I had to buy a wx engine today, it would be ASN again.

OK, just about to buy REX, but there appears to be 2 of them, REX4 and REX HD on the official website, and then one store has REX4 HD what is what?

'REX4 Texture Direct HD' is the latest (HD textures, textures only/NO wx engine included, quick texture "injection" into FSX).

REX Essential bla bla bla ...   are the older textures, slower injection, but a wx engine included.

If you go for a separate wx engine (ASN probably), REX4 Texture Direct HD would be your texture choice.