Sign in to follow this  
Guest enave

and the aviation threat continues...

Infuriating isn't it? "Until then, vulnerability will be the price for general aviations freedom." This is not journalism. It's fear mongering. The least of my concerns is my enthusiasm for GA. What really bothers me is this relentless onslaught of news bites that suggest we need to be afraid. I feel manipulated. I sorry but, It stinks of propaganda.DannyCYVR

Guest ba747heavy

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! More and more and more! We are so bad because we like FS, and planes.....AHHHHHHHHH!Lets all be afraid of our shadows! :-8

>There are no fences, no gates, no security systems and no federal requirements to have them. Thats possibly the most untrue statement I have heard...Fences are at most airports... with fences usually come gates, and security systems- they ARE there, but not meant to be seen, but they are there.Besides, a van can do more damage to a building that a small GA craft could, A van can carry tons of C4, a plane... 1/4 ton max?Van... drive into garage, BOOM- down the foundation, goodbye building- plane... hit the building mid level, some structural damage... Absolutely incredible..How many cars get stolen a day? Hundreds? Thousands?How many planes get stolen a day? None that I have heard of.What happen with those cars that are stolen? They are used in dangerous ways, possibly killing hundreds of peopleWhat happens with the plane that is rarely stolen? If they can get it off the ground, they usually run out of fuel or crash in a forest or field.... Most aero theft cases you hear about, the people jump in, figure how to start it up, and crash into another plane. Lives lost? One to none... Damage done? Thousands to low millions...Van? Deaths? One to hundreds. Damage done? Hundreds of thousands to millions and possibly billions.I close my case.Closing statement... "Until then, vulnerability will be the price for general aviations freedom. "Whoever the writer of this story is, DID NOT do their homework...To the writer. Pathetic fool.CBS... SHAME ON YOU. (thats their own little show..)

Guest tgabriel

Well said and very true but in these times of paranoia every little bit of doubt becomes an enormous case of fear. Since most people are completely unaware of general aviation's place in our lives they are completely willing to believe and to fear whatever they hear. I know you are well aware that there are news outlets who let their personal "agendas" dominate their broadcasts and that their faithful listeners believe what they say whether it is right or wrong. With the climate of fear and distrust prevalent today, it is surprising only that there haven't been some real restrictions made on GA, beyond the bothersome "no fly zones" when the shrub travels.We can only hope cool heads continue to prevail. I doubt it though...It's gonna be a long, cold winter...

Guest oyvindhansen

It is absolutely true that a van or a truck is a much more dangerous weapon in the hands of a terrorist than is a GA aircraft. Just compare the Oklahoma bombing with the guy who flew a cessna into a building...Yet in the country where the car is the king noone dares to suggest screenings for van drivers. In contrast most people dislike airlines and knows nothing about GA so those are easy targets. And, btw, the whole fear of terrorism inside the USA is somewhat irrational in itself, americans kill far more americans every year than Al Quaida can dream of.- Oyvind

Guest tgabriel

That is absolutely true. Just a few weeks ago here in Raleigh, NC after a football game, a car was involved in an accident. A number of people stopped to help and 5 were subsequently killed by a drunk driver who did not see them on the shoulder of the road helping the people in the wreck. As far as I can remember, I don't think any drunk airplane drivers have killed people in such a manner. Maybe it has happened, but I don't think so. Such is the attitude here that airplanes are thought of as WMD while cars with drunks in them are seemingly ordinary occurences.

Guest JF737WN

Someone seriously needs to slap the media upside the head.All they are trying to do is inflict fear into everyone of our minds to make sure we do what they want.The student pilot in Florida was 15, how does that make him a terrorist? Because he was under a lot of stress that makes him one? No, a cessna is not going to do much damage to a giant skyscraper. I would much rather fly a plane then go out onto the interstate and drive. If you think about how many accidents happen on America's roads each day compared to how many aviation accidents happen each YEAR. It's not comparable. I have a friend that lives at one of these air parks here in Arizona. Is he afraid? no. There is nothing to be afraid of, its just our wonderful Ameican media inflicting fear into everyone of our un-informed souls.

Whata Crock...You can email them here, and tell them how you feel.Passenger and Luggage checks for GA. What a bunch of Jerks.Tell them how you feel.evening@cbsnews.com Rob Orr authored the story.Don't forget to include the link.http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/01/14/...ain593216.shtmlRegards,Joehttp://aboutpolitics.net/images/bannerav.gif.About Politics.net - FORUMShttp://pub162.ezboard.com/baboutpolitics.Contribute to the Richard Harvey Scholarship Fund.http://www.avsim.com/pages/scholarship.shtml

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest tgabriel

The way some of these people drive these vehicles they are WMD without the explosives!!!!!

I agree 100% that these or any truck pose a greater risk to our security than a GA airplane.When was the last time a terrorist used a small plane with a bomb on it. useful load makes it highly unlikely, wheras a truck they can fill it up, as the parody suggested.It's simple as eveidenced in Tampa and at the white house, small planes don't do much damage, kind of like throwing a soda can against a brick wall.Thanks for that link Jeff. Definately eye opening.Regards,Joehttp://aboutpolitics.net/images/bannerav.gif.About Politics.net - FORUMShttp://pub162.ezboard.com/baboutpolitics.Contribute to the Richard Harvey Scholarship Fund.http://www.avsim.com/pages/scholarship.shtml

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

The interesting thing in this discussion is that noone has even commented on this statement:>And, btw, the whole fear of terrorism inside the USA is somewhat >irrational in itself, americans kill far more americans every year >than Al Quaida can dream of.11.000 people and counting. So what's your fear, really?Maybe Michael Moore was right...Cheers,

Guest svurg

Personally, I think the worst thing to happen to tv news in the last 20 years was when it stopped being about informing the public as part of the requirements for having an FCC license, and became about ratings and money. Reasoned, informed reports are boring -- scaring people or appealing to their base emotions are far more likely to get them to watch, thus bringing in more money. That's the attitude of the corporations running news today. Sadly, most people are willing to be spoon fed, and won't take the effort to seek the truth on their own. Thus does the race to the lowest common denominator by the media contribute to the dumbing down of American society.Warren J. Madden