I currently have an Intel ( R ) Core ( TM ) i5-3330 cpu @ 3.00 GHz        64 bit x base processor.  I feel it is the biggest bottleneck that I have at this time. Can you suggest a good one for my computer? How difficult would it be to install one ? Thanks

I currently have an Intel ( R ) Core ( TM ) i5-3330 cpu @ 3.00 GHz        64 bit x base processor.  I feel it is the biggest bottleneck that I have at this time. Can you suggest a good one for my computer? How difficult would it be to install one ? Thanks

Honestly looking at what you have for PC on your profile. I suggest some standalone graphics. The Sandybridge intergrated graphics are pretty extremely weak.

See this link where the Intel Intergrated HD 2500 Graphics ends up:

http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu

You'll see plenty of AMD and Nvidia's cards from 3-4 generations ago in that ranking range, especially the lower tier cards of those generations.

As for your CPU, are you looking at just a CPU upgrade or motherboard as well?

In case one, without information on your motherboard and power supply we couldn't really make any reasonable suggestions.

In both cases, what kind of budget are you looking at? I'd hate to recommend something outside what you could reasonable afford.

P.S. (Also confused by what you mean by "(NO SECONDARY)" under harddrives., however its not important, just my curiousity. :ph34r: )

As above, you need to determine what your motherboard can take or.plan to.upgrade motherboard as well.  I agree that you absolutely need a discrete video card.  If you want a budget upgrade, that would be the first.

A video card would also be an easy upgrade, much easier than the cpu especially if you don't have a lot of experience.

Randall

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

For socket 1155, which is what you have, the 3770K would be the best available for your computer. especially if you buy a nice cooled with it and over clock.

As per the previous comment, you also need a dedicated video card, which is most likely your actual bottleneck atm, unless you pc specs are out of date.

Hi there Jetsmell.  There is (or was - just now I can't find it) an Avsim guide to hardware for FSX. It's very helpful indeed for questions such as yours.  I go along generally with the other comments, and bear in mind that while the fastest CPU you can get for your board is a good starting point, your i5 should not be useless. Can you try a decent graphics card to see how you go?  But in any case, if you can get and read the Hardware Guide, you'll surely get a good idea of where your system needs improvement. Don't worry, it's better than my old Core-2 Duo, anyway!

Cheers. Ian / Imac