Sign in to follow this  
Wanaka

PFC Hardware and Linda

Hi,

Is it possible to use LINDA with PFC hardware such as the PFC C2 Pro to configure physical switches on the console so that they work properly in add-on aircraft e.g. the A2A cherokee 180?

If not possible, does anybody know how I can go about doing this?

If the buttons etc can been seen in the Windows joystick calibration/configuration interface then yes Linda can be used to configure the buttons. If not then no sorry it cannot.

Cheers, Andy.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, none of the switches seem to do anything in the windows joystick calibration interface so I can't use LINDA...

I guess I will have to try doing macros in FSUIPC, even though those don't always work in add-on aircraft such as from A2A (That's why I took interest in LINDA in the first place)

Well, hopefully there is a solution, and i'll be sure to report back  for other users who might be in a similar situation.

Wanaka

If the PFC hardware is visible to FSUIPC then there is a good possibility that you may be able to use LINDA.  You need to establish the FSUIPC offsets for a sample PFC switch/button.  Then use the LINDA Tracer function to monitor this offset.  If you can then you can write Lua functions to react to each button and write to FSX and vice versa. That is the long and slow process but must be easier that creating FSUIPC macros.

Others on this forum have used LINDA to interface with their own bespoke hardware panels. What you won't be able to do is easily associate these functions through the LINDA GUI.  

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

It would be good if there was a hardware compatibility pinned topic...those things that are confirmed working.  There's a Saitek radio panel I've been eying....

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Wanaka

If the PFC hardware is visible to FSUIPC then there is a good possibility that you may be able to use LINDA.  You need to establish the FSUIPC offsets for a sample PFC switch/button.  Then use the LINDA Tracer function to monitor this offset.  If you can then you can write Lua functions to react to each button and write to FSX and vice versa. That is the long and slow process but must be easier that creating FSUIPC macros.

Others on this forum have used LINDA to interface with their own bespoke hardware panels. What you won't be able to do is easily associate these functions through the LINDA GUI.  

Now just to clarify, when you mean visible, what does that mean? The C2 Pro console's switches only talk to PFCHID dll created by Pete Dowson which I believe requires FSUIPC.

The only thing I use FSUIPC with regards to the console is calibrating the axes on the throttle quadrant and the rudder pedals. The yoke is calibrated in PFC's own calibration software.

Obviously I need to do some re-searching about 'offsets' and 'Lua functions' because those words sound Chinese to me.

Regards

Obviously I need to do some re-searching about 'offsets' and 'Lua functions' because those words sound Chinese to me.

FSUIPC has a documentation folder that has a file with the offsets and another that has the LUA language.  There is also a zip file in that directory that contains examples.  I use FSUIPC for the axis and LINDA for the buttons and knobs.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Now just to clarify, when you mean visible, what does that mean? The C2 Pro console's switches only talk to PFCHID dll created by Pete Dowson which I believe requires FSUIPC.

The only thing I use FSUIPC with regards to the console is calibrating the axes on the throttle quadrant and the rudder pedals. The yoke is calibrated in PFC's own calibration software.

Hi Wanaka

By 'visible' I mean that FSUIPC is used to interface between your hardware and FSX (and your aircraft). It sounds like this is the case for your PFC equipment.  As Gregg says, FSUIPC is best for managing/calibrating the axes such as roll and pitch.  FSUIPC can manage buttons as well but this is where LINDA comes into its own provided that suitable software is written in LUA to take the button press and add some processing.  For many well-used aircraft and a wide selection of joysticks/throttle quadrants and some panels, this software code is freely available and can be adapted.  However, this requires some programming knowledge and skill.  LUA is the simple, easy to learn programming language that is at the core of LINDA.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Hi Scot,

Do you happen to have a step-by-step guide on how to do this? That would be amazingly useful.

I know some VB, so the potential programming side of how to do all this doesn't sound too daunting.

FSUIPC can manage buttons as well but this is where LINDA comes into its own provided that suitable software is written in LUA to take the button press and add some processing.  For many well-used aircraft and a wide selection of joysticks/throttle quadrants and some panels, this software code is freely available and can be adapted.  However, this requires some programming knowledge and skill.  LUA is the simple, easy to learn programming language that is at the core of LINDA.

Hi Wanaka

I would love to help but having spent the past month on upgrading LINDA to version 2.0 (full compatibility with Airbus MCP combo) I must get back to my main job which I have been neglecting. Sorry. Check out Gregg's suggestions above.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK