Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gdavis101

LOMAC

I have been thinking of getting this sim. I havent played a combat sim way back with Janes experimental aircraft. I have seen this game only in one store. I imagine that it is pretty popular. I just thought I would ask some simmers from MSFS what they think of it. ThanksAndrewPS why in the world is there no flyable F-16? The greatest multi-role aircraft in the world.;)

Guest Martin

Hi Andrew!I got LOMAC for my birthday about a week ago, and while I haven't had very much time to play with it, I can say that it's by far the best looking flight sim I've ever seen. The graphics are stunning (but I guess you know that already). Screenshots don't do it justice, not to mention the sounds (really cool sonic boom effects).It also runs pretty well on my P4 1.7 GHz, Radeon 9700 system.Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealingPS. The Saab 39 Gripen, and to a lesser extent the 37 Viggen, are the greatest multi-role aircraft in the world. :-)

Thank you for your reply Martin. I think I may get this in the future. Like I said here in the Philadelphia area it is hard to find. I still think the F-16 is the greatest. ;) Wish they had modeled it.Andrew

Guest orenda635

To me, LOMAC is just a modern aircraft version of CFS3, complete with the same problems. I tried the demo and it ran quite slowly even on low graphics settings. I'm running a Duron 950, 512mb PC-133 Ram, and a Geforce FX5200 128DDR. You need a beefy system to run it. At least 1.5ghz CPU should do it. Going to try it again once I get my hands on the Athlon XP2000 I plan to buy.Try the LOMAC demo first and see how it runs. You can get it here in the "Demo Files From Commercial Vendors" section of the file library.

Guest AndrewMcGregor

It's very good, IMHO. It is indeed somewhat heavy on the system, but it runs OK on my brother's Athlon 1300MHz system with a GeForce 4 MX 440 (and just great on my system, which is much better than that). I guess the poster with the Duron was pushing a bit hard.It's a very good systems simulation of the aircraft. I think the flight model may be a little simplified in some areas, mostly in that there is little or no turbulence or wind, but that doesn't detract at all from it. The AI is amazingly intelligent, so the missions are a real challenge.Note there is an issue with the tutorials, in that when you take control the autopilot may be left on, which makes the handling very difficult. Just turn it off with the standard key combo and all will be well.

Guest orenda635

>It's very good, IMHO. It is indeed somewhat heavy on the>system, but it runs OK on my brother's Athlon 1300MHz system>with a GeForce 4 MX 440 (and just great on my system, which is>much better than that). I guess the poster with the Duron was>pushing a bit hard.>>It's a very good systems simulation of the aircraft. I think>the flight model may be a little simplified in some areas,>mostly in that there is little or no turbulence or wind, but>that doesn't detract at all from it. The AI is amazingly>intelligent, so the missions are a real challenge.>>Note there is an issue with the tutorials, in that when you>take control the autopilot may be left on, which makes the>handling very difficult. Just turn it off with the standard>key combo and all will be well.I know my Duron can't cut it anymore. I did see a good deal for an Athlon XP2000 for only $90 Canadian. They usually sell for about $120. It ran ok at about 12fps on low on free flight mode.

Guest tanglefoot

These days for a great jet sim I'd probably upgrade....a little. I have a pretty beefy system and had very high hopes for LOMAC. When I heard "no dynamic campaign", I all but shut down. Maybe that's dumb.I'm sure I'll give it a look some time in the future. I guess we're pretty spoiled out here in Cali; I saw it on the shelves today for $20. I'm waiting for $10 ;)

Guest Gdavis101

Lomac is a nice product, but if you don't have the system to run it you will be in for a lot of aggrevation. I have a good machine, extra ram and an excellant video card and it only runs okay. Definately don't pay any attention too the minimum requirements on the box.