Sign in to follow this  
Guest bobsk8

Now I understand the appeal....

In my several years of flight simming (first on FS2 for the C-64, then FU3 and FS2002/FS2004), I have primarily flown small GA planes. Trying to fly an airliner or whatever didn't appeal to me. It seemed like guiding a 747 around on autopilot just didn't really capture the spirit of what I was trying to simulate. So, for FS2004 I've got a stable of payware GA and a few payware small airports.Recently, I purchased Eaglesoft's Citation X bizjet on a whim. I thought it might be an interesting change of pace. Little did I know it would convert me over to the dark side of commercial aviation.I've spent the weekend being alternately frustrated and amazed. The frustration has come from my lack of knowledge, but after dedicating myself to the task I've managed to work through the start up procedures and figured out the basics of getting her up to cruise altitude on a flight plan. My amazement has come from the sheer beauty of the Citation X and how immersive the experience is at 40,000+ feet.I've been a bit disappointed lately with VFR flying in FS9 because there's just too many things at low altitude to pull me out of the experience. Looking at the MSFS world from high-altitude seems really pretty realsitic, and quite beautiful. With Activesky and Chris Willis' wonderful clouds it can really be uncanny at times. You can see different cloud formations smoothly merging, and see how the weather develops. Managing systems and fuel efficency and a flight plan is hugely complicated, and I have a newfound respect from those of you who fly some of the complex payware airliners. I am hoping to get comfortable with general IFR procedures and then I'll probably give something like the Level D 767 a try. I'm still going to play around in my RealAir Spitfire now and then, but I feel like I've discovered a whole new sim at 40,000 feet.

Guest bobsk8

You also might try looking at the Misty Fjords scenery and use a plane like an Aerosoft Beaver to VFR explore that scenery. It is unbelievable and really makes you feel like you are flying. After awhile, I kind of maxed out on the 35,000+ scenery.