Sign in to follow this  
gus1

Problems installing FSX

Hi.

When I try to install FSX the installshield wizard starts, says Preparing to install... etc, then just disappears. Nothing else happens. I think the installer is running in the background but it doesn't open, IDriver.exe (InstallDriver Module), msiexec.exe (Windows installer) and ISBEW64.exe (InstallShield 64-bit Setup Engine) are running and shows in task manager/processes. When I stop IDriver.exe a message from the Installshield comes up and says "1628: Failed to complete installation."

I also had problems with uninstalling fsx because the uninstaller wouldn't start. I deleted the folders manually (FSX installation folder, appdata/roaming/microsoft/fsx, appdata/local/microsoft/fsx, documents/fsx files).

I have used CCleaner to remove temp files and registry files without any luck. 

Windows 7 64-bit if thats to any help.

(sorry if this is in the wrong section, and sorry if I have missed to mention anything.)

Thankful for any help.

Looks like there are bits of your old install left behind. Sometimes these can be hard to find. There are utilities that can help and the worst case is a re-format of the hd.

Could you mention some of the utilities? I have tried using CCleaner.

Also, if the system believes that fsx is still installed, shouldn't the installer start and ask if I wanted to remove/repair fsx?

I see, now the problem is that FSX is not in the list in the Install cleanup program.

I have been trying different things for a while now but nothing seems to work. I don't think theres anything left of FSX (cleaned it with different programs like CCleaner, Windows Install clean up)

First time I tried to use windows install clean up fsx didn't show there, later I tried a system restore. Now this time windows Install clean up noticed it and I could remove it (also removed in appdata etc. again). Still doesn't work.

I tried "clean startup", no luck. Stopping both avast and windows defender, nope. Making a new account in windows, still nope. 

It actually seems to me that something is blocking the installshield wizard to show, because it's actually running, and not until I manually close IDriver.exe I get the "1628: Failed to complete installation.".

I'm really desperate to fly again.. Unless I find some other way of fixing this I guess I have to format the disk, but that's something I would really like to avoid.

Thanks for your help so far JSkorna.

Hi,

The only thing that now comes to mind is that your Windows Installer is corrupt. You can get the latest version of that over at Microsoft.

The latest windows installer is already included in windows 7 (I think). I tried unregistrating and registrating it agani (msiexec /unreg, msiexec /regserver) but that didn't help either.

I tried everything I could find but nothing worked, so I reinstalled windows and now it's working. Thanks for your help