I recently pressed into service a 2008 model 37 inch HDTV for FSX .  Are then any issues I should be aware of in going down this path?  

One small hassle has been that a mini HDMI to HDMI cable that I had in my collection of electronic bits and pieces doesn't seem to be compatible with the mini HDMI port on my Gigabyte 770 GPU.  I checked at the local electronics store and the mini HDMI plug on this cable looks the same as those in stock.  Are there different mini HDMI standards around or does Gigabyte have a proprietory cable?  Thanks

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I guess I was being a bit ambitious in expecting to get a reply to this one on a forum that receives so little traffic - may have to go elsewhere on the net given AVSIM's restrictive policy on what you can post where.  Thanks anyway.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"I guess I was being a bit ambitious in expecting to get a reply to this one on a forum that receives so little traffic"

Bruce why would you say that - I dont have any experience in doing this but pretty sure you will have a lot of replies shortly

"does Gigabyte have a proprietory cable?"

No they are all the same something is not making sense

Would help if you post the TV model and maker

Rich Sennett

I recently pressed into service a 2008 model 37 inch HDTV for FSX .  Are then any issues I should be aware of in going down this path?  

One small hassle has been that a mini HDMI to HDMI cable that I had in my collection of electronic bits and pieces doesn't seem to be compatible with the mini HDMI port on my Gigabyte 770 GPU.  I checked at the local electronics store and the mini HDMI plug on this cable looks the same as those in stock.  Are there different mini HDMI standards around or does Gigabyte have a proprietory cable?  Thanks

Bruceb

Hi Bruce.

AFAIK the 770 uses a standard full size HDMI cable.

Any standard TV HDMI cable should fit.

Just make sure you are not trying to plug it into the Display Port socket :).

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Hi Bruce.

gb.

Yes that is the case and thank you  - I think I must have been looking at the manual for my old 470 card.

As for the 37 inch HDTV, it works fine for FSX with no issues, but kinda sucks as a normal PC monitor.  May go for a Dell 30 inch 2569x1600 ultrascan. The cheaper 4K monitors also look interesting but seem to have some limitations.  Having used the 37 inch TV I don't think I would want to now go down the multi monitor route that I had been considering eg three 1920x1600 monitors as it makes for a very narrow vertical field of view albeit a nice wide one.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Hi Bruce.

gb.

Yes that is the case and thank you  - I think I must have been looking at the manual for my old 470 card.

As for the 37 inch HDTV, it works fine for FSX with no issues, but kinda sucks as a normal PC monitor.  May go for a Dell 30 inch 2569x1600 ultrascan. The cheaper 4K monitors also look interesting but seem to have some limitations.  Having used the 37 inch TV I don't think I would want to now go down the multi monitor route that I had been considering eg three 1920x1600 monitors as it makes for a very narrow vertical field of view albeit a nice wide one.

Bruce

Sorry for the double post  - Is there a way to delete them?

Bruce Bartlett

Hey Bruce!

I have a Sony Bravia 21" as my full-time PC monitor. It works great. I go full sized HDMI to it from my GTX780

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

The way I understand the question, I suggest:
Detailed images of the video card outputs and inputs of the TV helps a lot.
The manufacturer and model of the TV is also something interesting.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

Bruce

Sorry for the double post  - Is there a way to delete them?

Glad you got it working.

I've just gone from a triple monitor setup to a 48" TV myself.

Certainly enjoying the increase in frame rates .

As for deleting your second post I don't think it is possible.

Best you can do is edit it to an apology but there is a time limit on editing too.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

may have to go elsewhere on the net given AVSIM's restrictive policy on what you can post where.

If you look in this forum where everything about monitors, graphics cards, etc., is being discussed, you would find many topics and posts that should answer your questions. I just read a topic here about someone using the new 4K HDTV's in FSX that are as big as 60" and very cheap. The same company that is releasing those 4K HDTV's for a very low price is going to release 4K monitors above 30 inches in the first quarter of 2014. That's what I'm waiting for but I'm sure they will be a bit more expensive than the HDTV's.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Here is the link to the topic I referred to above - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/442805-experiences-using-a-4k-ultra-hd-monitor/

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

If you look in this forum where everything about monitors, graphics cards, etc., is being discussed, you would find many topics and posts that should answer your questions. I just read a topic here about someone using the new 4K HDTV's in FSX that are as big as 60" and very cheap. The same company that is releasing those 4K HDTV's for a very low price is going to release 4K monitors above 30 inches in the first quarter of 2014. That's what I'm waiting for but I'm sure they will be a bit more expensive than the HDTV's.

Best regards,

Thank you, I must say the Dell Ultrascan monitors are starting to look a bit overpriced alongside the new 4K monitors perhaps like you I should be waiting for a 4K over 30 inch - and I don't think I would go for anything smaller than my 37 inch HDTV.   In fact the sub 30 inch 4K monitors I have seen don't, to my eye, look much better than what I already get on my older Samsung 24 inch at 1920x1200.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Here's that article relating to the 4K monitors that will be released - http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/low-cost-seiki-pro-branded-4k-ultra-hd-displays.html. While I was looking for the article, I ran across another 4K monitor that will be released in Europe (not USA) this summer - http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/iiyama-prolite-b2888uhsu-28-inch-4k2k-gaming-monitor.html. It is only 28 inches screen size but low cost. The only problem I see so far in these new Ultra HD displays is the fact the highest refresh rate is 60Hz and I would like to see 120Hz so I can go 3D with my NVidia 3D glasses. I think the immersion would be spectacular in Ultra HD 3D.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

4k 3dtv is what I hope to see. Already fly 20% of the time in stereo 3d mode with tridef on 42in Vizio 3dtv from 2012.