Sign in to follow this  
jfri

How many X can we expect in P3D2.X ?

From what I have understood P3D1 got to 1.4. Does this mean we can expect P3D2.3 and another update but nothing more ? How much more will this mean in P3D2 development. How long time is normal between each 'X' ?  I'm a little concerned that P3D2 is going obsolete to early meaning we will not see many add on taking advantage of its potential.

I'm a little concerned that P3D2 is going obsolete to early meaning we will not see many add on taking advantage of its potential.

As opposed to FSX that is obsolete?  You lost me?  

P3D V1.0 (2010), V1.1, V1.2, V1.3, V1.4, V2.0, V2.1, V2.2 (2014)

There will be a 2.3 (very soon) and a 2.4 later this year, and possibly a 64bit version in the future.  4 years of development ... LM's defense contracts are good til 2037 ... so what is the "concern"? 

Cheers, Rob.

There are tons of empty and unused numbers available, so I'm not too concerned...

I've seen three digit revisions numbers in some software.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I like the sound of 2.3 very soon. Hopefully that release will be all about SLI and much needed performance improvements.

Everything else about P3D V2.2 is superb. LM just need to get those performance issues sorted out. With my current setting I get 30 plus FPS.

It would be a dream come true to get near 60FPS on the same setting:-)

From what I have understood P3D1 got to 1.4. Does this mean we can expect P3D2.3 and another update but nothing more ? How much more will this mean in P3D2 development. How long time is normal between each 'X' ?  I'm a little concerned that P3D2 is going obsolete to early meaning we will not see many add on taking advantage of its potential.

Wow.....I really don't get some people on here. Its either armchair lawyers trying to screw P3D or its something as asinine as this.

LOL Glenn - I read the op 3 times figuring I missed something. I still don't understand his point. Maybe he thinks they'll come up with a completely NEW sim every few years and nothing will be back compatible.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I think his concern is about how often he will have to RE PURCHASE the full package. When the updates cease to be free. Which on the face of it will be approx. every three+ years or so. Very reasonable, in my opinion.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

As opposed to FSX that is obsolete?  You lost me?  

P3D V1.0 (2010), V1.1, V1.2, V1.3, V1.4, V2.0, V2.1, V2.2 (2014)

There will be a 2.3 (very soon) and a 2.4 later this year, and possibly a 64bit version in the future.  4 years of development ... LM's defense contracts are good til 2037 ... so what is the "concern"? 

Cheers, Rob.

That a P3D V3 will come and V2 will be forgotten so we will end up with few P3D2 add ons

LOL Glenn - I read the op 3 times figuring I missed something. I still don't understand his point. Maybe he thinks they'll come up with a completely NEW sim every few years and nothing will be back compatible.

Vic

Rather a question than a point. And not so much about backward compatibility but new P3D2 specific add ons being developed. And the question about how long time.

I think his concern is valid. It took several years before FSX add-ons really started to ramp up, and if a version 3 of P3D comes out fairly quickly we won't get to that point.

But of course that is the way things used to be for the FS series when new versions came out every two years. It didn't stop us from buying the new one on launch day!

We owe all of these wonderful add-ons to the fact that MS killed off FS. A positive unintended consequence.

- Bill Magann

The OP Q is valid.

Currently addon vendors have to provide for compatibility and installation for FSX, P3D V1. P3D V2 and, next what? P3D V3?

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

the Oldar makes a very salient point. FSX is what it is thanks to the platform being static for years. This is why backwards compatibility is so crucial. If P3DV2 was not backwards compatible dispite all the improvement it would take many more years than the product is going to last before it caught up to FSX. I figure backwards compatibility cant last forever but I am guessing there is a strategy afoot between LM and the 3PD's that are on board. Maybe they will find a way for 32bit addons to work in a 64 bit P3D after all 32 bit programs run in 64 bit windows:-)

I doubt LM are particularly concerned about backward compatibility for scenery packages. The fact that it may or may not be is coincidental to their long term strategy, I am sure. Even developers, I suspect, are fairly unperturbed by the prospect...more sales. 

We, the Simmers on the other hand, may find ourselves having to fork out if we wish to keep up with development. Thus the hobby becoming something of a money pit....or another one; If you are into Photography.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I doubt LM are particularly concerned about backward compatibility for scenery packages. The fact that it may or may not be is coincidental to their long term strategy, I am sure. Even developers, I suspect, are fairly unperturbed by the prospect...more sales. 

We, the Simmers on the other hand, may find ourselves having to fork out if we wish to keep up with development. Thus the hobby becoming something of a money pit....or another one; If you are into Photography.

Or astronomy! 

But seriously, I wish I knew what LM's business strategy is going to be. They may not be 100% sure themselves yet. I really do suspect that right now we are very important to them. Lot's of us paid $200 for the program, so that had to be a help in defraying the development costs. They might well have relatively few people working on this, so our dollars would be a big deal. It is clear that they care about us because they have kept up the dialog and addressed many of our concerns. That might change if they start selling a zillion dollars worth of P3D to the military.

Right now I am content with how it seems to be playing out.  If 2.3 addresses the things it is rumored to address, I will be very happy. And if P3D v3 comes out 18 months from now, well it will just feel like old times!

- Bill Magann

This hobby costs money. Plain and simple. While I agree to a point with the OP, I still look at it as simple math. They are still working on it and improving on it.

It is no different in my eyes at the BattleField games. They come out with new code, new tech, new eye candy, and don't offer free DLC, they release a new one. They do that to recoup losses that they take on development.

I love the fact of backwards compatibility, but in the end, that same compatibility will hold us back close to the FSX structure. While it works for a while, all the stuff we want added, hardware we want to use in the future just does not make sense keeping with old code and tech. While they have improved on it x10, it is foolish to think that we can continue making these demanding, high fidelity addons using the same foundation all around. There will come a time, then a P3DvX will come out, and we will have to make a choice. 

If it is a choice of leaving my addons behind, to come over to a God Forbid 64bit version, or new engine then so be it. Addons will be made for that also. Nothing in life is free for long, and this hobby is the poster child for it. Sure we have great freeware that other Sims/Games only wish they had, but plain and simple, we are in a pretty expensive hobby, and I don't know about some of the rest of you, but between upgrading my hardware, buy new addons, new modules like TrackIR, Joysticks, Rudder Pedals, I am just about at the cost over the years that it actually took me to get my PPL. Kinda crazy if you think about it, but no hobby ever has had a "worth" or "price" put on it to keep enjoying.

Again, just my opinion.

Lockheed Martin will decide how many v2x's in its own commercial interests when it's ready to release v3.0. It's not going to add x's ad infinitum - that will cost Lockhedd Martin money which existing users aren't paying for.