Sign in to follow this  
jfri

How many X can we expect in P3D2.X ?

LM already stated that 'point' releases are free.

Only when a major version shift happens (v3) will users be charged.

I think that is in the FAQ (or similar) on the P3D page.

I like the sound of 2.3 very soon. Hopefully that release will be all about SLI and much needed performance improvements.

Everything else about P3D V2.2 is superb. LM just need to get those performance issues sorted out. With my current setting I get 30 plus FPS.

It would be a dream come true to get near 60FPS on the same setting:-)

If you are getting 30 fps + , why do you need the performance 'issues' sorted out?  Doesn't sound like you have any.  I can't understand the obsession with FPS.  There can be no noticeable difference in perception between 30fps and 60fps.  As i understand it, TV broadcasts at 25 fps.

If you are getting 30 fps + , why do you need the performance 'issues' sorted out?  Doesn't sound like you have any.  I can't understand the obsession with FPS.  There can be no noticeable difference in perception between 30fps and 60fps.  As i understand it, TV broadcasts at 25 fps.

There is a HUGE difference between 30 and 60 fps!  Any fluidity ceases to exist sub 60 fps.  At the moment, I only stick to GA aircraft and bush flying for this very reason.  If I load up any of the more advanced addon aircraft, my framerates tank and my computer is relatively high end.

i7-2600k @ 4.4 ghz

8 gb ram

(2) GTX 780ti classified sli  only using one at the moment till 2.3 hopefully...

SSD

try this out  http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

or this http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

Totally disagree about the fluidity loss sub 60fps

When tuned well and with a solid 30fps lock my p3d is smooth as silk

And mine with 20fps - the key, as stated above is "tuned well". Other than the FPS counter, I can see NO difference between 20 - 60fps. SMOOTH is smooth. If it's smooth at 20 and smooth at 60 - you will NOT be able to tell the difference. If your sim gets choppy below 60 - you do not have it configured properly - simple as that.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

This is so false. 30 FPS and 60 FPS are worlds apart.

Guess we'll just have to disagree re: 60 vs 30

The issue is "is it smooth or not" basically irrespective of actual FPS (for me anyhow)

Well yes 30fps is fine until you pan around. Then you can see the transition from frame to frame. Especially on large screens. For example if you use a 60inch wide screen and pick an item; say the latch of the window vent on the A2A C172. Using TrackIR position that clip on the edge of the screen and pan your view so that the clip ends up on the opposite side of the screen in 1 seconds. In that 1 seconds 30 frames have been

rendered. That means the clip has moved position by 2 inches for each frame. That is a very discernible compared to a change of position 1 inch per frame which is what you get at 60fps on a 60 inch wide screen. Both instances resemble motion blur to some degree. An exaggerated motion blur mixed with double vision is what I would call it. Its not stutters and it has nothing to do with the smoothness of the SIM looking near too or straight ahead. The smaller the screen the less noticeable the effect. If you are Flying a Sim and you intend to jump in a real airplane some day you better plan to brake that habit of looking more or less straight ahead because real pilots (the safe ones) have their head on a swivel.

On AVSIM I cant understand the obsession with rubbishing other peoples preferences.

I thought my sim was smooth as silk until I see it with vsync at 60fps. Smooth my .ss, it was actually choppy but I somehow was ignoring it.  I agree with ChaoticBeauty,  60fps vs 30fps,  it's a completely different world .

I thought my sim was smooth as silk until I see it with vsync at 60fps. Smooth my .ss, it was actually choppy but I somehow was ignoring it.  I agree with ChaoticBeauty,  60fps vs 30fps,  it's a completely different world .

30 FPS feels fine until you experience 60 FPS. To me, anything below 60 FPS in games is unacceptable (movies or videos are fine). If you're getting constant 30 FPS without any stutters or frame skipping then you can call it smooth, and it's perfectly acceptable that some are fine with that, but saying you can't perceive the difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS is really wrong.

NO difference between 20 - 60fps. SMOOTH is smooth. If it's smooth at 20 and smooth at 60 - you will NOT be able to tell the difference.
   Simply not true.  That's old science.  They used to think that the eye worked at no more than 30fps.  They now know that there is more happening at the unconscious level that needs to have over 60 fps in order to appear "real".  This is even reflected in modern lcd standards, with the marketing concepts like "real motion" and 120+hz refresh rates.

This is so false. 30 FPS and 60 FPS are worlds apart.

Perhaps by numbers.  But nobody ever achieved 60fps with FSX with acceptable levels of detail.  Yet when people eventually settled on a sweet-spot of a constant 30 fps, it was the bees knees.  Now 30fps is suddenly a major fluidity issue and very noticeable.  Come on people...

But having said that, I've never experienced 60fps in a flightsim.  So I may eat my hat when I do.

Perhaps by numbers.  But nobody ever achieved 60fps with FSX with acceptable levels of detail.  Yet when people eventually settled on a sweet-spot of a constant 30 fps, it was the bees knees.  Now 30fps is suddenly a major fluidity issue and very noticeable.  Come on people...

But having said that, I've never experienced 60fps in a flightsim.  So I may eat my hat when I do.

I'm not talking about numbers, I'm talking about the feel. 60 FPS looks much better and much more fluid than 30 FPS, and it's definitely possible to perceive the difference, unlike you said. As I said, no problem when someone wants to settle with 30 FPS, but that doesn't make it identical to 60 FPS.

Regardless of the the panning issue with 30fps there is also a feel difference between 30fps and 60fps. Despite 30fps looking smooth it feels sluggish compared to 60FPS. I can achieve 60fps in VC with my system and there is a whole level of feel and responsiveness to the sim that just isn't there at 30fps. Not saying that 30 fps doesn't look smooth; it does, but 60FPS is far superior in terms of the being there factor. Especially with aggressive flying. I am hoping that SLI or crossfire support in V2.3 will get us there:-) Even 40fps is a marked improvement over 30 but 60 seems to be holly grail in action games. I see in a lot of games 60FPS is the locked maximum despite the hardware. You get 60FPs even on low detail setting and I think the idea is that you keep easing those setting up until your average FPS drops below 60 and then you know you are at the limit of your hardware. You could do this with P3D V2 and I figure the details quality would be acceptable at least on my machine but I doubt the level you would have to drop the setting in FSX too achieve 60FPS would be at all acceptable. My point is that what I hope for in version 2.3 is nothing more than close to double the FPS with the current setting I have to achieve 30FPS i.e. SLI support. in fact if the only thing that changed in V2.3 was the introduction of SLI support that would be good enough for me and if they only achieve Crossfire support. I would drop the Nvidia GTX780 like a hot potato and install the two or 3 Top shelf AMD cards the day after release. Everything else about v2.2 is just about perfect IMO. Its great that Lockheed are interested in maintaining backwards compatibility but compatibility is really a 3PD issue.

I realize it's a purely subjective thing but reading some of the posts in this thread makes me smile. I still maintain that *IF* you sat down in from of a properly set up system and flew around without EVER accessing the FPS counter you would not be able to tell the difference between 20 - 30 - 60 FPS.

If the system is not properly tuned, you may see a difference. I'm not saying that your eyes are lying, I'm just saying that what the eye sees and the brain interprets are often very different.

Try turning OFF the fps counter for a month and enjoy the sim.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors