Sign in to follow this  
jfri

How many X can we expect in P3D2.X ?

*IF* you sat down in from of a properly set up system and flew around without EVER accessing the FPS counter you would not be able to tell the difference between 20 - 30 - 60 FPS.

I used to work on a 18 million dollar printing press (maybe 30m today, cerruti gravure), I forget how many fps (feet per second) we would run at maximum, something like 30 mph.  You used to have to be able to see things pretty fast.  As an old gamer (old grey beard, until I shaved so as not to rub off baby's face), as any gamer would tell you, 30fps vs 60fps is not a fair fight, smooth as butter for both.   There is a noticeable difference.  There is a reason why 120hz and 240hz sells for more, is considered more valuable, "pretty realistic" than 60hz.  30hz for eyes is what they used to think ... before the sound barrier was broken, and they stuck the moon with a flagpole.  (yeah I know, i'm sorry.  I just kinda get off on metaphors)

Nobody said anything about not enjoying the sim. I enjoy it a few hour every week and my system is a painstakingly setup system with i74770k at 4.8Ghz and GTX 780 etc. It is setup exactly as per NickN's recent guides on Simforums. Granted that is for FSX but that guide is for Setting up windows for optimal performance. so there are not setup issues here. This thread is about what is hope for or expect form V2.3 V2.4 etc and how many .X's there are going to be. My preference is that LM should work on performance specifically Multi-GPU performance and from what I have read performance appear to be their main objective in V2.3 so apparently they agree:-)

I realize it's a purely subjective thing but reading some of the posts in this thread makes me smile. I still maintain that *IF* you sat down in from of a properly set up system and flew around without EVER accessing the FPS counter you would not be able to tell the difference between 20 - 30 - 60 FPS.

If the system is not properly tuned, you may see a difference. I'm not saying that your eyes are lying, I'm just saying that what the eye sees and the brain interprets are often very different.

Try turning OFF the fps counter for a month and enjoy the sim.

Vic

If you cannot tell the difference between 20 FPS and 60 FPS then you need to have your eyes checked! The latter is three times the amount of frames per second, the difference in the fluidity of the motion is extremely noticeable.

Are you flying an extremely slow aircraft and not panning around at all? Because this is the only case where you cannot discern the difference; when the motion is really slow.

No joke.  Totally off the rails now.

Lets just all agree to disagree on the fps differences.

So much of that, and to what degree it gets noticed or not, is dependent upon how the sim is used and the hardware setup, etc

Truly no point in even arguing about it.  Let's just all enjoy what we enjoy and call it good.

Wow, how did we go from P3D development to a debate on FPS?

Full bladders need emptying, so what better to have then a contest?

All I know is what ever # = x, I have gotten my $59.95 from P3D2.x!