Sign in to follow this  
Guest tumezz

"Flight sims are only for those who don't have the guts to fly"

And if every other argument fails,tell him that there are many who do want to fly,but can't because they will never be accepted as pilot.i'm simming,because i love aircraft,and wish i could be one of the guysup front in a DC8.however,i'll never be granted a license,because of who i am,and the medication i need to take.i'm even going to loose my drivers license,or so they told me.in that respect,i find that man a sorry excuse for a man.as humans,we do not always have a choice,remember?thus i'm really happy that MS does flightsim,at least i can sometimes taste a tip of the rainbow.then again,that same dude would probably handle me as if i were a retard.oh well.tataJP.

Guest Peter Sidoli

JPI Totally agree with you! I have a friend who broke his neck in a quad bike accident and is now confined to a wheelchair.His computer is his life and he is one of the bravest people I know.I am lucky in the fact that I can and do fly some wonderful machinery but I very much see myself as privalaged in doing so.Real world flying has always had a flying for the disabled sector and it has always crossed my mind how many in these forums do have a disability of one sort or another.As a real world commercial pilot I have always felt it was important to have a close connection between sim flying and real world flying.Now there are so many real world pilots in the forums compared to years ago that it can only be good for flightsimming and bringing ever closer reality to people who cannot fly for whatever reason.That guy who prompted the letter for this thread is right up his A**Etae carePeter

Guest bobsk8

I bet he doesn't have an ATP, because if he did, he would have received his type rating in a simulator.

>JP>>I Totally agree with you! I have a friend who broke his neck>in a quad bike accident and is now confined to a wheelchair.>>His computer is his life and he is one of the bravest people I>know.>Well,he has my respect as well,i'm lucky,with me it's in the brain,not so much in the body,but still,it does prevent me from doing what i love.like your friend,my computer is my life as well,and i am very happy that i can also fly on Vatsim.>I am lucky in the fact that I can and do fly some wonderful>machinery but I very much see myself as privalaged in doing>so.sure,that is my definition of luck as well ;)yet i do think you have worked hard enough to get where you are today no?>Real world flying has always had a flying for the disabled>sector and it has always crossed my mind how many in these>forums do have a disability of one sort or another.i do know of one person having what i have that also frequents this forum.it made me feel a bit more comfortable knowing their are more people like me here.>As a real world commercial pilot I have always felt it was>important to have a close connection between sim flying and>real world flying.if i were a pilot,i would use the sim(like may do)to visit an unfamiliar airfield beforehand,practice holds,and whatnot,they can be very useful.>Now there are so many real world pilots in the forums compared>to years ago that it can only be good for flightsimming and>bringing ever closer reality to people who cannot fly for>whatever reason.that in itself is a testimony that a sim is only for people without guts.if real pilots do find it useful,then his remark holds no ground at all,afaic.>That guy who prompted the letter for this thread is right up>his A**E>>tae care>>Peterexactly :)cheersJP.

Guest B52Drivr

Hello All, I want to interject a point here about the 'guts' comment. Your friend at work is obviously a moron with a superiority complex, and most likely thinks he is a much better pilot than he really is -- it usually works that way.Guts has absolutely NOTHING to do with it. There are many on these forums who have ppl's, and atp ratings. There are many who are former combat pilots with tons of experience and who do have the 'guts and the right stuff', however that has nothing to do with if you are a simmer or not.Sure, there are tons of wanaa-be's, but that's not a bad thing. NOT EVERYONE IN THIS WORLD CAN BE A PILOT, due to health, restrictions, finances and time. Personally, I always wanted to be a Rodeo star, (yep, thats right folks, tame that wild bronco, and I'm now in the horse business for profit and fun, but I DON'T BREAK THE YOUNG ONES MYSELF, CAUSE I'M TOO DARNED OLD! I leave that to the younger crowd and confine myself to training AFTER they have a saddle on them and have tossed a few others on the ground -- rank does have it's privileges, LOL).So, next time you see your 'friend' you tell him you know of a former combat pilot who was pretty much a S!*t Hot driver who is also a simmer -- who can no longer fly legally because of medical reasons. Who, most likely could fly the wings off anything he wanted to put in front of him, and do it without working up a sweat. Who also is very proud of being a 'simmer' and continues his love of aviation with the help of flight simulators. Oh, and as someone else mentioned, he most likely doesn't have an ATP, for if he did, he would have a whole new respect for simulators and how they can train you to keep both your aircraft and self alive.There are many simmers out there with more knowledge of aircraft, systems and flying then alot of real pilots I know . . . and that says alot for our humble group.For the most part, we're a pretty fine group of individuals and I am very proud to be a part of it.Best,Clayhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

Guest MarkM

>>For the most part, we're a pretty fine group of individuals>and I am very proud to be a part of it.>Totally agree!Let's feel sorry for this guy, there are so many great things in the world he loses!;( :(

No Reason why you should have to tell him anything. The only person on this planet you should ever have to impress is the one you see in the mirror each morning. As long as you're satisfied with what you do in your spare time is all that should matter. IOW, just tell him to go blow it outta his a##. ;)

Bill Alderson

Guest Vilk

hmmm... you could also shrug away both his taunts and your emotional reaction to them and... well... try the real thing one day?:-)

Guest RotorRick

>>>"flight simulators are only for those people that don't have the guts too really fly"Really? This guy needs to scrounge up guts to go flying?I guess he's a #### poor pilot then, I wouldn't want to go flying with him either! LOL!Thanks, I'll go flying with a pilot who's not afraid, even without guts.

Guest Divergent Phugoid

Are you sure he isn't just sending you up? If not anybody with that attitude is a jerk. If so, chill.To display "guts" you have to overcome fear. If he is scared when he takes to the air he shouldn't be flying :D

Guest byoung

I am a rated pilot. But one thing that grounded me:Marriage! Priorities change!I don't know about this one, though, with all the money I have spent on versions of FS, add-ons, new hardware, etc over the years, I could have bought into a partnership on a real airplane :)Still can't fly the good stuff..Barry

You can tell him that there are probably more real world pilots like myself who log more hours on their desktop PC then they do in the real world. And yes, there's no reason why I can't fly in the real world more often.If, by your work, you are referring to an airline, you can tell him that there are probably more sim pilots working there than there are actual line pilots flying the real thing...LOL. In fact there is probably a good deal of actual line pilots who also fly in the sim.Then after you've told him all that, you can tell him you probably wouldn't fly with someone with that kind of careless type attitude anyways. All guts and no brains will get you killed every time.Remember an old saying: There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old and bold pilots.Take care.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Guest MattNW

>"flight simulators are only for those people that don't have the >guts too really fly"?>He got it correct right up to "flight simulators are only for those people that don't have the"Try instead: finances, physical capacity, time, opportunity or even age. Lot of younger simmers who just don't qualify for a license yet who will be the airline captains in the future. The rest: "guts too really fly" is pure drivel. Other than military aviation where some of those guys need guts beyond what this cretin could ever imagine, normal aviation doesn't have anything to do with "guts" and I agree with the people above who say they would never fly with someone who thinks this way. Personally I'd choose RL flying over simming any time but unfortuately for both financial reasons and medical ones I probably won't ever hold a pilot's license again. I'd also like to point out the many times when I could fly, that I would watch a beautiful morning turn into a stormy afternoon that washed out all chances of getting into the air. Doesn't happen in my simulator (unless I want it to :)).

Flight Simming for me is fun, I can learn a lot, and I can do there what I want: fly the aircraft of choice to destinations of choice.And the best is that I can stop simming anytime, and I'm free to decide whether to sim and when.Most things in life I can only enjoy when I do them free-minded. If I were a pilot, I would have to fly because my contract says so.I have no doubt that I would enjoy flying in reality, but the background of increasing pressure to pilots (capitalism, you know) and to be fly what I'm told and to where I'm told wouldn't make me happy.The idea of spending endless hours in a small cabin without the chance to go out to get some fresh air, to know that behind the cockpit dozens of sweating people just eat and use the toilet and spill their garbage around, and to know that I'm gonna land somewhere I'd never like to be outside my business life, and maybe to have an unsympatic person all the time on my side makes me feel unconfortable and a little happy not to be an airline pilot. I'm always proved right when watching those documentation shows on TV about modern airliners and how life on board is.Maybe to be a private pilot would be much different. But at one hand, I don't have the money to make a PPL exam, nor do I feel the urge to do so.Best would be to own my private 737NG (customized, with nice girls on board and a spa for distraction, hehe!) and do whatever I want without needing to care about such profane things like fuel or landing fees.Oh, and it's true: real airmen don't need machines to fly!Andreas