Sign in to follow this  
Guest garymccl

Level D 767 - how difficult is it?

Hi,impossible to ignore the hype about the Level D 767. Everybody keeps on saying how sophisticated it is. This however makes me wonder how DIFFICULT it is to learn to fly the thing. Do I need to read through thousands of pages of manuals?I am quite comfortable with the PMDG 737NG and its FMC, as well as with the PSS Airbusses and Dash8 and the FMC(U) there, and also the Eurowings Commuter add-on. So, in comparison to that? Is it that much trickier?Also, is there a tutorial "767 for dummies" which allows me to follow everything step by step, from setting the FMC to starting the engines to taking off to cruising to descending to landing/autolanding? I am not much into system failures and the likes, just want to do a normal airline flight from A to B (where the cruise is the boring part).Thanks for any hints. I am very tempted to fly the beast, just a bit afraid of over-complexity.Chris

I owned 767PIC in my FS2002 days, but went cold turkey when FS2004 came out as PMDG 737NG was the most viable alternative in the new sim. I bought the Level D 767 the day it came out and was able to successfully get the beast started from cold and dark, program the FMC, a quick lap around the block then back on terra firma, all without a single reference to the manual. Admittedly my co-pilot (14yr old son) had to jog my memory about some of the specific nuances of the PIC, and now Level D, implementation of this aircraft into FS (eg. where the click spot is to get the V speed bugs to auto manouver into position), but I reckon that if you've driven a few complex payware heavy irons in your days that it's not that hard to work out what needs to be done to get the beast up and running. Quite simply, I work my way through weight/fuel loads, 'likely' panel default switch positions, power (DC then AC), FMC programming (start at ident and work through until everything looks 'right'),set MCP values and Vspeed bugs, bleed air for engine start, start engines, bleed back to normal, flaps, trim, do whatever it takes to clear any remaining cautions, then away you go ... This pretty well works for any modern glass cockpit airliner, although I must admit it takes some practice to know what is 'likely' and what looks 'right' for some of the steps I mention.Having said this, I like to fly these things properly so now its off to the manual to find out what I really should have done :-hah GaryPS. IMO, it is a very solid product for a new release. Certainly better than my PMDG experience which started out pretty shaky with feelings of being a beta tester, but it has now matured into a very fine product also. There are a very few experiencing trim and AP issues, but the Level D support team seems to be very responsive in trying to reproduce and fix the issue.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest monsoon

I own just about every payware the sun that has an fms and even since the day of 767PIC I have still found to the day that the 767 fms is the most user frindly FMS out there. most fo the time i haven't even touched the manual and learned by hit and miss. BUY IT!

>I am quite comfortable with the PMDG 737NG and its FMC, as>well as with the PSS Airbusses and Dash8 and the FMC(U) there,>and also the Eurowings Commuter add-on. So, in comparison to>that? Is it that much trickier?Simple answer: No.If you are already experienced with the 737NG you will find your way into this one quickly. It has some additional

Guest oyvindhansen

Some things are even easier: The overhead panel on the 767 is much nicer and tidier than the 737's. And the FMC and autoflight is also slightly easier to handle with the autotuning capabilities.-

OK, I think I'll get it tonight...ONly question left: is there a tutorial flight?

Download the manual ahead of time. They offer it on their site.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest garymccl

...but it's not the same as having a tutorial flight. It took me a while to get into the 737ng, and I was helped along with a tutorial, and the same with the PSS's Airbuses...I've looked at the manual and it seems pretty good, well detailed - but it's not a step-by-step guide. I have bought it, and it's sitting doing nothing until someone creates a tutorial.Incidentally, I have seen loads of people post similar questions in this and other forums, and the normal reply is "I found it easy enough to work out, but then I had PIC". It's a really annoying reply! Sorry - but it is! There are a few of us that didn't have PIC, and we have no experience to draw on. I would be really interested in a reply (to the original post in this thread) by someone that didn't have PIC.

Guest diajohn2

Gary, I have the 767 and love it. If you are competent in the 737NG, you will feel comfortable with the LDS product. There is a bit of a learning curve to get used to the FMC differences and the panel. Overall, it is not a heavy curve to learn. I must say that this bird flies like a heavy so watch your decents and speed. I overshot Manchester last night by coming in too high and fast and missed the Glideslope. It follows the same logic as the PMDG product even though, I have not yet gotten the overhead panel down very well.You will be able to fly if you can fly the PMDG right out of the box.

Guest av84fun

<>Don't feel bad.A while back I read an article in one of my flying mags about a 500 hour RW CFII (no multi time) who was assigned to go to hand fly a full motion sim at Flight Safety and with zero instruction, pretend that the pilots both had heart attacks and he was the only pilot passenger.If memory serves the ship was a DC10 or a 747. With all that real flight time, the pilot went 0 for 3 on "survivable landings."(:Jim

Guest garymccl

Thanks mate, I can't wait to get started with it. I remember when I first bought the 737NG and couldn't fly it! It was just oo difficult for me at the time. The problem was getting the FMC to work. Then someone came out with a tutorial, and I got it working right away. But before that I was getting very frustrated to the point where I really was getting p!ssed off! Anyway, I don't want to get to that point with the 767. Programming the FMC is the bit that's going to be difficult thing I think.

>Incidentally, I have seen loads of people post similar questions in this and other forums, and the normal reply is "I found it easy enough to work out, but then I had PIC". It's a really annoying reply! Sorry - but it is! There are a few of us that didn't have PIC, and we have no experience to draw on.Don't worry. You won't need the experience of PIC. I didn't have it either and get along very good (apart for some minor technical issues that are related to the product and not to my pilot skills).

Guest garymccl

Thanks mate. Has anyone tried importing a flight plan from FSNav? I don't have FSBuilder. FSNav can export FPs to FS2002 format - can they be imported into the 767s FMC?

As an old 767PIC user, I found it made the transition to PMDG fairly straght forward. PMDG added things that 767PIC did not have...particularly on the FMC such as weather forecast, etc. Now going back to the LDS767, again it was quite simple, a few added systems but not that much more added complexity. Hand flying, I would say both are very similar...in other words just great to hand fly. Both of these are must haves in my book.Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Yes, the FSNav flightplans work fine with the LevelD. Just convert them into the old 767PIC FMC format first (you can download the FSNav export .dll for the 767PIC from the FSNav site). I've done several of them. You'll have to manually move the exported file into the LevelD flightplan folder (no big deal). There are several threads in the LevelD forums with the particulars. Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.