Sign in to follow this  
Guest av84fun

FSM Moving map info and diagrams.

Hello, everyone.I want to thank Rana and everyone involved with this project. This is one of the missing links in this simulator and it's a great addition.What I find in the sims is that it's a lot more difficult to taxi then in real life. I use a Zoom factor of about .5-.7 but the visual perspective and the angle of view, from inside of cockpit makes it very difficult to taxi / navigate on the ground. Using this tool and the Airport diagrams available on the net you can easily create a very accurate moving airport diagram.I've put together all the information, and 2 airport diagrams, of the KLGB and KSNA to get an idea of what can be done. I also outlined in what I hope are some simple steps that anyone can take to create their own accurate plates for Airports, Approaches etc.To create a moving Airport diagram you will need the image of the area, most of the Plates are available in ".pdf" format. What I do to create the image, I am sure there are better ways of doing it, but this works also.Get the file displayed, I use Acrobat reader, 1280x1024 screen, Fit it vertically there is Icon with UpDown arrow in it that will do it for you, and Save the screen to Clip board, I use the PrtScr key to do this. You can use a Paint program to Paste this image, I use IfranView. Cut the portion you want to save and save as a new ".jpg" or ".bmp" image. This will create an image that you can Geo Reference and use in FSMMM.To get the actual coordinates is a bit more difficult, but I found the best way, for best accuracy and use in the sim, is to find a location in one of the corners of your image, if you have a runway running diagonally, and most are, use the Slew mode and go to the end of the runway. Note: Using Map mode does not yield a good result, at least not in my case.Write down the Reference coordinates, you can view them using "Ctrl Z" in FS.The coordinates in the MSFS are in a format that need some conversion, there is a way to modify the ".cfg" file to give you the DDMMSS, at least there used to be in FS8, but the conversion is fairly simple, when you know it.The formula to convert is the D.DD*60/100=SS.ssExample: KSNA the19R end (N) has the MSFS coordinates of N 33 40.89, W 117 51.91, the (S)outh, 01L end is N 33 40.07, W 117 52.42. The numbers you need to convert for FSMMM are the .XX, using the formula, in the N 33 40.89, is 89*60/100=53.4 and W 117 51.91, is 91*60/100=54.6 The coordinates you need to use in FSMMM are now N 33 40 53.4 and117 51 54.6.Note: I found that I needed to restart the sim, and go into kneeboard, in order to get a good reference / reindexing, after I entered / changed coordinate values.Using this method you can now pinpoint your exact home and or insert any location / image that you want. I hope this is not too convoluted and difficult to understand, post here and or write me a private Email from AVSIM if you have any questions. TVAdd KSNA and KLGB to the "FSMMovingMap.ini" file.I've created a couple of airports, KSNA and KLGB and I will try to explain how to include them in your FSMMM "FSMMovingMap.ini" file, there is another / better way to do this but I was not able to find a definition for it yet.In your "FSMMovingMap.ini" you will have a number of entries that look like this:**[Map.#] Replace the # with the next available number in your .ini file, i.e. if last was [Map.3] it should be [Map.4]MapEnable=1MapFriendlyName=lgbarptMapPathRelative=0**MapFileName=Path to your location Drive letter:Program FilesRanaInsideFSMMovingMaplgbarpdia.jpgMapIgnoreAngle=1MapContinent=North AmericaMapDefaultZoom=1HighAltitudeCondition=NAMapBoundary=<592,875,85,226,592,748>MapWeightOffset=0HighAltitudeTrigger=0AltitudeWeightOffset=0CalPoint_1=Where I have the ** are the locations that you have to modify to point to the Directory / Folder where you will place the image(s), i. e. "lgbarpdia.jpg". After you modify these entries you can Copy and Paste the text into your "FSMMovingMap.ini" file.There is a way to directly import the ".ini" type but I do not have that information available yet. If anyone wants to upload these files to AVSIM, you may do so.TVFiles reqd. lgbarpdia.jpg, lgbarpdia.ini, snaairp.jpg, lgbarpdia.ini.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/108477.jpg

The airport charts do work great in FSMMM. Couple things.For those of you with Adobe Photoshop, you can easily load the PDFs and save them as a JPG. Not sure if there is any other easy way of doing that.A lot of the Airport charts have lat/lon lines right on them, so just find the intersection of the lat/lon lines and you have known coordinates.You can use FSMM directly do enter the coordinates of the different locations to calibrate the map. Just right click on the list of maps and select "Add New Map". It will open up the calibration screens.Once you have it calibrated in FSMMM, you can Right click on the Map listed on the Maps Defined tab and select the "Create FSM Moving map Calibration File" option to generate the file needed to share the map with others so it will automatically be calibrated for them.Watch out if you're using addon scenery. I've seen at least one addon scenery that does not line up with real world.Matt

Hi, Matt.>"Create FSM Moving map Calibration File" option to generate the file needed to share the map with others so it will automatically be calibrated for them.A lot of the Airport charts have lat/lon lines right on them, so just find the intersection of the lat/lon lines and you have known coordinates.

>>A lot of the Airport charts have lat/lon lines right on them,>so just find the intersection of the lat/lon lines and you>have known coordinates.<>>I found that this method did not work well all the time. It's>likely because of the Scenery alignment, that's why I wanted>to find another way, since the Slew. I sent you part of L3>chart. TVYa, I'd say about 1/2 of the ones I did, were off when using the lan/lon lines printed on maps. I'll try your method.Matt

An easier way to get co-ordinates ( I think ) is to use FSnavigator . By switching to FSnav and pointing the cursor to an intersection of say 2 runways plus some other easily identifiable point(s) , you can easily get the lat/long points you need for a map.Barry

Hi, Matt.After you enter the coordinates Restart the sim and go in the Kneepad mode to test. In the FSMMM I noticed some inconsistencies right after calibration. I was not able to completely understand, and duplicate, the problem and I did not write about it to Rana.I also noticed, in the L3 chart, if I go to KIFP / Laughlin NV, upper NE side of the chart, the Locator / small Airplane does not show up. I am not sur how much is just my system, or is it real yet?Hi, Barry.I do not use FSNav, but if it works for you may want to post a How2 for the rest of the guys.TV

Guest av84fun

Hi,You may already be set but for others, taxiing in FS couldn't be easier. Just hit Ctrl+S and you jump to an overhead view of the airport and can zoom in/out to several thousand feet agl or down so close all you can see is the top of the aircraft.Just zoom to capture the airport boundaries on the monitor and there you go. No need for any airport diagrams...you see the whole airport and can taxi from the overhead view.If you want, once you've figured out where to taxi, you just Ctrl+S back to the cockpit and toggle back and forth like that if you need to.Regards,Jim

Hi, Jim.That works to some extent, you Have to switch and you have no taxiway labels. TV