Sign in to follow this  
loftboy

Adding a fourth screen in FSX issues

Hi guys, happy to have found this forum. With the help of this forum I have built a 4-screen setup for FSX, overcome many issues but the current one really stumps me.

I'm using an nVidia GTX770 video card. Have setup three 21" screens no problem. Adding a fourth to the display port causes FSX to display four blank screens, but it has loaded as I have sound.

I've setup the fourth screen correctly in the nVidia control panel, and all looks well until I load FSX, then the above happens. 

I was able to use the fourth screen using the vga socket on the motherboard without any problems, moving panels etc in windowed mode to create a great setup. But after a while for some reason Windows decided to not want to load any more this way, so I've reverted back to the display port on the graphics card which I initially gave up on but now really want to find an answer.

I am using an Intel Core i5 4670K Quad Core (3.4GHz, 6MB Cache, overclockable 4.4GHz+) Socket 1150 with 8mb ram.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

sim_zps0cbaac0e.jpg

Think our experts in the video card, monitor forum might be able to help you so I'm moving your post there.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "Crash To Desktop (CTD) Forum" to "Monitors, Video Cards and Drivers". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Hi guys, happy to have found this forum. With the help of this forum I have built a 4-screen setup for FSX, overcome many issues but the current one really stumps me.

I'm using an nVidia GTX770 video card. Have setup three 21" screens no problem. Adding a fourth to the display port causes FSX to display four blank screens, but it has loaded as I have sound.

Are you using an adaptor to connect the forth monitor to the GPU DisplayPort?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Yes, vga to display port via adapter

Is that an active or passive adaptor?

You might need the active type?

From memory there is an upper limit on the resolution a passive adaptor can handle.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Thanks. How do I know if it is active or passive?

Often it is written somewhere on the device.

If not might have to look up model specs on web.

Meanwhile you could try deleting all four monitor device entries in your fsx.cfg

and deleting your fsx shader cache, then restart fsx.

You could also try making the DisplayPort monitor one of the first three monitors,

then plug say a DVI connected monitor in as the forth and see what happens.

gb.

Thanks for all your help, will have a play around with it later and let you know how I get on.

OK, tried deleting the device entries in csg file - no change.

Tried a different monitor using the display port - no change.

Cannot work out if the adapter is active or passive. Ebay Seller hasn't replied.

Tried using the display port for one of the 3 main monitors - just went all wrong, screens were swapped over etc, changing over the cables didn't work, so back to original setup.

I was using the 4th monitor nicely for a while using the vga port on the motherboard, and this still works but only when you connect it after Windows has loaded. Otherwise when all 4 monitors are connected at boot, I just get 4 blank screens - why would this be? Thanks.

Cannot work out if the adapter is active or passive. Ebay Seller hasn't replied.

Could you post a link to that ebay site?

gb.

Tried using the display port for one of the 3 main monitors - just went all wrong, screens were swapped over etc, changing over the cables didn't work, so back to original setup.

But did the DisplayPort monitor go black like before when you did this?

gb.

This is the link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261348687859&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

The DisplayPort monitor did work, the two either side of it decided to play up instead.

It would almost definitely be a passive adaptor for that price.

Also if it was active they would definitely advertise it as such.

I should of checked before but I see passive adaptors should be able to handle resolutions up to 1920x1200.

I guess your 21's are running less than that so it really should work.

Perhaps there is just something unstable about your adaptor when FSX puts it under stress.

I could only suggest trying a different adaptor,  maybe to DVI rather than VGA.

eg   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DisplayPort-Display-Port-to-DVI-Female-Cable-Lead-Adapter-Digital-with-Mac-PC-/281017489833?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item416df299a9

Last question: are you running the top three monitors as separate monitors or as one Surround group?

gb.

Last question: are you running the top three monitors as separate monitors or as one Surround group?

gb.

The 3 monitors are one-surround, configured in nVidias control panel.

My 4th monitor does not have a DVI connection, so I can't do DVI to displayPort, so I'm gonna try to connect it to the motherboard's DVi connection via another apapter, ie vga to motherboard DVI, and see if that works. Thanks.

Tried using a VGA to DVI adapter to connect the fourth monitor to the motherboard - nothing happens, just a blank screen. So I quit this route and went back to the display port on the graphics card using a 15" HDMI TV with a direct HDMI to displayport lead - and that works a treat. it's a bit bulkier than the other monitor, but having tried everything I just want to practice some flying now!