Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

17JUN14 - Scheduling and General Updates

@PMDG

I wonder about where your going with forum Moderator's.

If some one is rude fine but where are you going to draw that line?

The forum is clearly under moderated at present, hence the bad behaviour. So quite logical to correct that deficiency. This isn't anything radical, it's normal practice to have sufficient moderators.

As far as "where you draw the line" that's for the moderators and PMDG to decide. What you have to understand is that a forum is not a democracy, you cannot run a forum on consensus of opinion.

Therefore a forum is by necessity a dictatorship, and so it should be. So the moderators decide where to draw the line and we do as we are told, simple as that. And if PMDG do the job properly, and pick the right moderators, they will be quiet reasonable in regard to their moderation.

Robert, I wish you well for the surgery and a quick recovery!  I'm sure your amazing team will work really hard in your absence and we'll have the packages in our hands quickly.

Kyle, your knowledge is amazing and you're extremely present on these forums, and it's highly appreciated, whether you become a moderator or not.  As a very sarcastic person, I get that some people dislike your humour [Americans, remove second 'u' in previous word], but that is who you are and doesn't change how helpful your input is.

To the whole team at PMDG, thanks guys for all this hard work!  People on here have been extremely harsh towards you, and it's indeed been a long, long while waiting for the release of the SP1, but I think everyone will appreciate the extent of your efforts.  No one else can claim to have added so much in a free update, and the WXR will be something truly unique - a very nice gift from your part.  Rest assured that some people like me are truly thankful for your work, even though we're all very eager to get our hands on all of it.

Finally, I hope that with the new "small-updates" system you guys plan to implement, criticism will drop and people will behave more appropriately on these forums.  While I don't believe all that much in the broken windows theory, I absolutely look forward to tighter moderation and a better community.

sig01.png

Best wishes from Brazil Robert! Get well soon!

Alexis Mefano

refuah shlema, have a speedy recovery for your sake not ours!

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Dat new profile picture.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Kyle, your knowledge is amazing and you're extremely present on these forums, and it's highly appreciated, whether you become a moderator or not.  As a very sarcastic person, I get that some people dislike your humour [Americans, remove second 'u' in previous word], but that is who you are and doesn't change how helpful your input is.

Thanks Max.  I've been trying to tone it down recently, or at least keep it aimed at those who I know won't be offended by it (usually Luke, Aaron, and a few others).  Knowledgeable might be a good thing, but if people are turned off by the sarcasm, then it should definitely change (at least until they've been around for a while to get used to it - which reminds me of a funny story about me meeting my sister-in-law, but I digress...).

Kyle Rodgers

Get well soon Robert and thanks for the update :wink:

Chris Howard

Thanks Max.  I've been trying to tone it down recently, or at least keep it aimed at those who I know won't be offended by it (usually Luke, Aaron, and a few others).  Knowledgeable might be a good thing, but if people are turned off by the sarcasm, then it should definitely change (at least until they've been around for a while to get used to it - which reminds me of a funny story about me meeting my sister-in-law, but I digress...).

I think most of the complainers tend to be the ones who expect to be spoon-fed the information.  The 777 is an extremely complex plane, and it does require a significant investment of studying time.  I remember as a newbie being startled by you at some point when you told me something that basically equated to "RTFM", but see, I'm glad I did, and you earned my absolute respect in a matter of days.  While toning it down will certainly ease the newbies (and might be the better approach from a moderation standpoint), it doesn't absolutely need to change for you to remain a great contributor to this community.

And sisters-in-law, well, I'm sure we could share a few laughs around a beer about that!

sig01.png

Thanks for the update! I hope that your  medical procedure is successful and that your recovery is quick. Take care of yourself!

Firstly Robert I am very sorry to hear about your medical issue and wish you a speedy recovery

There are two things i am a little concerned about:

I don't believe that this forum is particularly hostile, perhaps it's a sign of entitlement but we (as customers and i dare say fans) have had a direct line to the development group, such as Rob or Ryan, with the appointment of forum members to the post of moderators we may well lose that link, it's also possible (though from my standpoint less concerning) that these new moderators will over-moderate.

My second concern (based on no evidence) is that FSX development will take a 'back-seat' to P3D development simply because P3D will be seen as a premium product and attract a suitably 'premium' price.  I can only speak for me personally, but i draw the line at $100 for a addon aircraft; if people are willing to pay that i would say good luck, it's your money, but personally i could not cross that barrier.  Actually given the exchange rate is pretty good at the moment (to GBP) i might, but it would be based around the exchange rate.

Ian R Tyldesley

Hello Mr Randazzo,

Ok, I am not original and certainly not the first one!! But it is truly meant anyway:  from Holland, all the best with your surgery and a speedy recovery.

You do remind me of Ralph Tofflemire, he was working on a 747 classic for FS9 (in 2002 I if memory serves), got an operation and a week later was already 

preparing a realease. (I hope this is not a trend amongst developers, otherwise this business is not good for the health!  :(

Good luck!!!

Wijnand Lindelauf (EHBK)

Firstly Robert I am very sorry to hear about your medical issue and wish you a speedy recovery

There are two things i am a little concerned about:

I don't believe that this forum is particularly hostile, perhaps it's a sign of entitlement but we (as customers and i dare say fans) have had a direct line to the development group, such as Rob or Ryan, with the appointment of forum members to the post of moderators we may well lose that link, it's also possible (though from my standpoint less concerning) that these new moderators will over-moderate.

My second concern (based on no evidence) is that FSX development will take a 'back-seat' to P3D development simply because P3D will be seen as a premium product and attract a suitably 'premium' price.  I can only speak for me personally, but i draw the line at $100 for a addon aircraft; if people are willing to pay that i would say good luck, it's your money, but personally i could not cross that barrier.  Actually given the exchange rate is pretty good at the moment (to GBP) i might, but it would be based around the exchange rate.

For your first point, I think that the presence of moderators will in no way reduce the involvement of Robert, Ryan and others in these forums, but will let them spend more time developing the products and giving support instead of wasting time "policing" the forum.  I think it is a very positive move.

As for your second point, P3D isn't a "premium product", it's a professional product.  As an "entertainment" customer, you aren't even supposed to use P3D.  Many companies have released products for P3D at little or no additional costs, but those products aren't extremely high-fidelity simulations of a $170M airliner.  I'm sure Boeing won't license a "professional" license of their property for peanuts, and as such, the product will carry a higher price point.  Just for fun, go see how much SimAvionics cost.

sig01.png

Best luck and wishes for surgery and a speedy recovery, Robert. Get well soon.

And thanks to the whole team for your continuous, hard work !

I think most of the complainers tend to be the ones who expect to be spoon-fed the information.  The 777 is an extremely complex plane, and it does require a significant investment of studying time.  I remember as a newbie being startled by you at some point when you told me something that basically equated to "RTFM", but see, I'm glad I did, and you earned my absolute respect in a matter of days.  While toning it down will certainly ease the newbies (and might be the better approach from a moderation standpoint), it doesn't absolutely need to change for you to remain a great contributor to this community.

Thanks.  I think the startling thing, for me, is all the cases similar to yours.  I can't remember what I said, the level of bluntness (or sarcasm), or any of that.  Based on what you've written so far, I'd just assumed I never had you "in my sights," if you will.  The silver lining to that realization is that it's evidence that my posting is rarely ever meant to be personal (if it were, I'd remember the name/username from that earlier, blunt discussion).  The downside is that it's also evidence that it's something I usually do without realizing, which, depending on the severity, could easily be something negative.

And sisters-in-law, well, I'm sure we could share a few laughs around a beer about that!

She's rather amazing.  The Cliff's Notes version is:

I'm sarcastic (surprise!).  She was meeting the family for the first time.  I'd promised (to myself) to keep my sarcasm on a leash to avoid giving her the wrong impression.  I let something pointed slip.  She took it, spun it around, and smacked me right across the face with it.  All I could think of was "she's got my vote - welcome to the family."

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that RSR or Ryan would suddenly disappear.  I can't recall a time when RSR wasn't the one making the various announcements, and I highly doubt he'll stop making the occasional post here or there.  Additionally, if a mod was over-moderating, it's not like they can't step in and remove him or her.  There have been moderators in addition to RSR and Ryan before, and they've both continued posting here.

It's not an issue of replacing.  It's an issue of supplementing.

While I somewhat understand your concern, I have to disagree.  It's not a premium price in the way you're probably thinking.  It's not like high-dollar items that you see like iPhones and iPods, where the premium price is the result of tremendously high mark-up.  It's a high price that's a result of the operating costs.  As an example: most aircraft that you can rent hourly at an FBO don't bring in particularly high margins, but the cost per hour is still pretty high (compared to what I started at, anyway).  In fact, some of the shinier, nicer looking aircraft usually bring in lower margins, despite their higher cost per hour than some of the older ones (higher insurance, they're not paid off yet, so on and so forth).

As far as P3D goes, it's not a premium product.  It's a commercial product.  The cost of doing business in that realm is high.  The prices associated with the products to be used in that realm will also be high because of that.  To think that FSX (or the FS line) will take a back seat to P3D items simply because the cost is higher is a little misguided.  Higher sales price does not mean higher profit, so the assumption that higher price = higher profit = more enticing, doesn't really hold water.  I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Kyle Rodgers