Sign in to follow this  
Guest jaapverduijn

Hard Time Finding Scenery? Search No More.

Guest abent

:-beerchug Great work Heather! Just popped over and had a look. Your site makes it very easy to find sceneries. Nice to see our Manitoba sceneries there. And...we'll have a few more ontario ones for you within a week or so, then, in the not too distant future, a few Maritime sceneries. :DSounds like you've had a very interesting life - lots of great experiences! And feel free to mail me a big chunk of gruyere any time. Love my cheese fondue... :9 lolAdamCanUk

Guest Heather 636

Hi guys!Been out of it the past few days with a faulty water heater. No hot water and a new baby grandson in the house. It's been interesting to say the least.Everything's back to normal now, a mild state of chaos, so as soon as I finish this post I'll be getting on with updating my website for the day.Again, I really want to thank all of you for your kind words and comments. It's very much appreciated.I appreciate the suggestions too. I don't recall if I had said so or not but the site is not entirely finished yet; such as all of the 'clickable' maps, and a few other things. I posted however because the site was becoming known at other locations and I felt funny with this as my web space is hosted by Avsim and yet few here knew about it. As far as changing the map orientation, I never thought about doing it as it is set up in MSFS, but too late now. I wouldn't have the heart to ask Bill to change it all around again. As it is now, I have things geographically organized as you will find them in the C.I.A. World Fact book. So, as I mention on my homepage, if something is wrong with that layout, blame them, not me. They're used to being the scapegoat anyway. ;)The mention of Bill brings up one more thing that I wish to bring to light. I have been receiving a great deal of remarks of appreciation for what I have done here but I just want to let everyone know that Bill "Hawkeyez" Mansell (who maintains the Bush Flying Unlimited web page) spent untold hours helping me with this setup. He really deserves a note of appreciation for I would have been months longer ever putting this together to the quality that it has come to.Bill does this for a living so, if you ever need help with a website, give him some consideration. Click on his link (FalconWeb) on my website to see his homepage and view some of his other works. I'm not saying that I couldn't have done this without him for I am pretty stubborn when I set my mind to something, but there is no doubt that without his help, it would have been far, far longer before I could have presented this to the flightsim community.One of the things I have noticed that these online forums have in common with the real thing is the camaraderie. When I flew for a living, one of the great things I enjoyed was that you didn't have to be in the air for things to be pleasant. No matter what the people were there for, we all had a common interest and it was rare to find anyone in a bad mood. We all loved our environment. These forums are much the same way.Oh yes, once in a while somebody will get a little heated but that will happen anywhere. Been known to get irritated myself a few times. After while, it's usually over, the appropriate apologies have been said and we're back to what we love doing, whatever it may be, as long as airplanes are involved.Tom, if you're reading this, I am wondering if you could pin it to the front page just for a few days so that everyone who visits this forum will become aware of what I have to offer. Just a few days ought to suffice.Again, thank you all. I appreciate it.Best wishes!Heather

Guest tooohip

Thanks for puting this together Heather. Where are the scenery links though? I see some on the right side, but don't see any clickable map?Am I missing something, LOL? ;)

Guest cw1011

Wow - what a terrific resource. Thank you so much!

A good piece of work - well done!I live in Australia and checked to see what is available. I found a long list of files of various kinds. However, it was a little frustrating to narrow down scenery as to use the 'Find' function (IE toolbar) I had to know a word or phrase in the listing to get some hits. May I suggst that when one selects the country, particularly for countries with lots of files, that a secondary map is displayed with 'active' city names that link to a dedicated list. If this were done you could still have a 'miscellaneous' link for those that are more generic e.g. SRTM mesh.RegardsAndy b

Hi Heather, thanks for the hard work (and thanks to Bill too)! One small note, the "Devil's Tower" scenery should be in the Wyoming section, not Montana. The author's description (re: location) is not right, take it from a Montanan... Thanks again for this!!!!!

Guest Heather 636

You make a very good point there Andy as Australia generally does have quite a few more files than other locales. I have considered this before and now with your bringing it back to mind, I do plan to do something about it.I'll probably break it out of the "Oceania" section and break it down much like the U.S.A., South America, Africa, etc.Oz does indeed have a LOT of files and I think doing this will help considerably for those trying to find something specific.By the way, hopefully not sounding stupid, but are the various sections of Australia referred to as states, provinces, or . . . ?Regards,Heather

Guest jaapverduijn

Hi Heather!Mainly states. Around Canberra is the Australian Capital Territory, and up North you've got the Northern Territories (which, unlike the plural name suggests, is only one). This I remember from a looooong time ago when Australia was my home, but I believe it's still the same as when I was young, rich, carefree and incredidibly handsome (grin)!Be well!Jaap Verduijn.

Guest Heather 636

LOL! Thank you Jaap for that enlightenment.Oh yeah, and for that state information too! ;)Cheers!Heather

Guest jaapverduijn

Wide grin!Jaap.

HeatherWhat a wonderful resource. And thanks to your site I've just learnt that the UK is 'slightly smaller than Oregon'.Well, that puts things into perspective...!!Brilliant stuff, for which many thanks.Ian

Smaller than Oregon? Everyone knows THAT! What most folks don't know is that is also smaller than Houston. :)

Guest Heather 636

G'Day!It gives me great pleasure to announce new features to the web site.Not all of your pleas go unanswered. Thanks to the help of Bill Mansell who does the graphical editing and page construction for my web site:As requested, "Gallery" has been renamed to something more straight forward, "Downloads."I now have a Guest Book of which I hope you'll take a few moments to visit and leave comment.There is now an "in site" search engine to make your search for that special file even easier than before.My friends down under will be pleased to see that Australia now has its own map section rather than all of the files being listed on a single page. I will have to sort all of these now which will probably take me a few days, so please be patient. Until then, you can find everything as it was hiding on the Australia "Miscellaneous" page until I get this stuff sorted.A "Miscellaneous Stuff" has been added as well for the occasional thing that just doesn't fit anywhere else; for example my new hobby of collecting coffee cups/mugs. But I'll discuss that later. Right now I have some file sorting to do.So with that, I am very pleased by the responses I have been seeing and hope that you will keep visiting.Thank you for "Flying Heather" ;)Cheers!