Sign in to follow this  
megatransat

What are your favorite long hauls/routes to fly with the PMDG 777 and why

What are your favorite long haul routes to fly with the PMDG 777-200 and the upcoming 777-300ER and why? 

My favorite route is from Dubai to Rio De Janeiro Galileo. I love this flight mostly because the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going on right now in Brazil and it is one of the most busiest airports in the world right now. 

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "PMDG General Forum" to "PMDG 777". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I generally do flights on which I have been, or am soon to be, a passenger. The aircraft type on the actual trip doesn't matter, it just needs to be "long-haul". For me that usually means US to/from Europe (mostly UK), with an occasional visit to Hawaii or Tahiti. We haven't been anywhere in Asia yet, but my other half is starting to weaken on that point. When selecting the departure city and route, I look for "interesting" weather (low ceiling, thunderstorms, thick fog, etc.).

The flights that I have 'flown' the most on a PMDG 777 (all of them round trip)...

• KORD - EGLL (I've flown this on a number of aircraft types and on a number of different airlines)
  • KDFW - EGLL (The last two trips to the UK, one on a BA 744 and the other an AA 773)
  • KJFK - EGPK (I flew this a few times on BOAC/BA Super VC-10's to visit my grandparents in Scotland. The VC-10 was an amazing aircraft that is often unknown to other pilots.)
  • KORD - EGPF (a now-dormant AA route that was flown with B767s)
  • KJFK - LIRF (a trip last spring, without the EGLL connection)
  • KJFK - LIMC (a trip coming up this fall -- I may have fallen in love with Italy)
  • KSTL - EGKK (an old favorite from TWA days. AA is fine, especially since we often upgrade, but I miss TWA.)
  • KSTL - PHNL (another TWA favorite; KSTL is so handy to my home KIND, but sadly not a hub any longer)
  • KLAX - NTAA (from a trip years ago that was flown on a chartered Hawaiian Air DC-10 before and after a very memorable 10-day Renaissance cruise)

My Corpus Christi home base leads me to either KIAH Houston or KDFW Dallas to start my long hauls. Some of my recent are:

KDFW-VHHH Hong Kong

KDFW-LEMD Madrid

KIAH-PANC Anchorage - used often for testing

KIAH-SBGL Rio De Janeiro - surprised me first trip at how Southerly this trip was from Houston

KLAS-PHNL Vegas (baby) to Honolulu

KIAH-YSSY Sydney - very long trip requiring ETOPS240. Routine in the 200LR but stretching the limit of the 300ER

KMEM-VTBS Memphis to Bankok - following the great circle takes you above 78N so grid navigation takes over

KIAH - EHAM Amsterdam

KIAH-SKBO Bokota Columbia - about the highest runway you can operate a 777 from at 8350 ft msl

EHAM-VTBS Amsterdam to Bankok - an actual KLM flight in the 772 or 77W. I got a kick out of looking up in Wikipedia all the places along the way I had never heard of

Dan Downs KCRP

At the moment it is OMDB - KIAD, I've managed to fit two of those flights in this week - thats 28 hours alone on that route. My more 'normal' route would be EGCC/EGBB - OMDB.

SCEL-KMIA Classic LAN cargo route.

KATL-OMDB ON DAL8

KORD-EDDF Aerologic

PANC-EDDF Aerologic or Lufthansa cargo

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Lately I log on to Dubai airport and watch one Emirates flight is leaving within the next 45 Min to an hour and fly it.

Please do not write airport ICAO codes, write the airport name or city name that refers to airport.

We are free to write ICAO codes if we want, AVSIM rules don't say ICAO codes aren't allowed....

We are free to write ICAO codes if we want, AVSIM rules don't say ICAO codes aren't allowed....

Yes indeed you are, but it would be nice if you could write city names since it will save me some time.

Always the last one I've flown. With 64 add-on airports, I've made a matrix of possible pairs (usually five hours flight time or longer) and so far I've flown 72 flights without flying the same one twice and I still have a lot of city-pairs to go. Variety is the spice of life.