Hello pilots,I was wondering if you can help me. I bought a Crucial M500 2.5" SSD 480GB and I want to setup FSX. I'm currently running FSX on my Win 7 Pc with 2 x 1TB Hard Drives RAID 0. 

I'm planning to run FSX and ADDONS on SSD and leave the OS on the HDD.

1.What are the steps and procedures, is there a step by step tutorial on how to config and setup?

2.Is it just a matter of plug and play since I don't intend to move OS or I need to go through BIOS Config in order for me to transfer FSX from HDD to SSD.

3.What would work best OS+FSX on SSD or separate them.

Thanks in advance..

Best Regards

LdeeFSx247

Hi Ldee

I was in the same situation half a year ago and I decided to install W7 and FSX with all addons on my SSD (500GB). The result is totally convincing. In spite of my modest system (see "my PC") I have a perfectly running FSX installation with very acceptable frame rates and no stuttering any more. In fact, the switch from a HD to an SSD and installing everything on the same disk was the best decision/investment in my flight simulator during the last three years.

Regarding your questions:

1. I would not transfer the existing installation to the SSD, although it is possible (the SSD manufacturers usually give some recommendations). Take the chance the have a clean installation.

2. and 3. see above

Enjoy your SDD!

Felix

Felix

Did you install FSX on its own partition? If you did, you can just change the letter of that partition, then make a partition on your new SSD with the letter you used to have for the FSX partition. Once that is done, just copy paste and you are good to go. I disagree with a reinstall because there is no reason for it. 

If you installed FSX in the program files folder it is a bit of a more complex process, as you need to change some stuff in the reg. I think there is a good guide around somewhere here for doing this. 

Put both the OS and FSX on the SSD. Having either of them on a HDD and the other on a SSD is still a cause for stutters. FSX is still accessing files from your windows drive during flight even when FSX is installed somewhere else.

OS always needs SSD more than FSX.

My OC was better with OS on SSD and FSX on HDD, than everything on SSD.

the more programs you put on same drive. the more bottle neck you create.

Better to get couple of old HDD's out to put addons on rather than everything on one SSD.

better off getting a few smaller ssd's to spread stuff out than a single huge SSD

Must say My OS and FSX drives have been SSD for a while now, but there was better FSX perf all around once I put scenery on SSD as well, previously had FsGlobal on HDD. 

As was said above, you can copy your entire FSX folder to the SSD, and then change drive letters..

Flight1 has a free Registry fixer for download if you cannot match the FSX folder name.

While the OS may also enjoy being on the SSD, FSX will be quite happy being on the SSD all by itself.

Bert

My OC was better with OS on SSD and FSX on HDD, than everything on SSD.

That's unheard of, really weird such a thing could affect your overclock

the more programs you put on same drive. the more bottle neck you create.

Better to get couple of old HDD's out to put addons on rather than everything on one SSD.

shouldn't be the case. Modern SSD's can access data concurrently.

Back to the OP

Hello pilots,I was wondering if you can help me. I bought a Crucial M500 2.5" SSD 480GB and I want to setup FSX. I'm currently running FSX on my Win 7 Pc with 2 x 1TB Hard Drives RAID 0. 
I'm planning to run FSX and ADDONS on SSD and leave the OS on the HDD.
1.What are the steps and procedures, is there a step by step tutorial on how to config and setup?
2.Is it just a matter of plug and play since I don't intend to move OS or I need to go through BIOS Config in order for me to transfer FSX from HDD to SSD.
3.What would work best OS+FSX on SSD or separate them.

Do you have both Win 7 and FSX installed in the same partition?

Did you install FSX on its own partition? If you did, you can just change the letter of that partition, then make a partition on your new SSD with the letter you used to have for the FSX partition. Once that is done, just copy paste and you are good to go. I disagree with a reinstall because there is no reason for it. 

If you installed FSX in the program files folder it is a bit of a more complex process, as you need to change some stuff in the reg. I think there is a good guide around somewhere here for doing this.

Hi,I have Fsx installed on C Drive C:/FSX, I did not install it in the default C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

There is a guide I came across here on Avsim talking about cutting Fsx from HHD straight onto SSD on this forum link:

http://forum.avsim.net/tutorials/article/8-moving-fsx-over-to-an-ssd/

I did ask the topic starter on that forum and he mentioned that it works perfectly no problem considering you follow the steps to the dot.

I thought I should ask more people and see their views and suggestions before I proceed.

That's unheard of, really weird such a thing could affect your overclock

shouldn't be the case. Modern SSD's can access data concurrently.

Back to the OP

Do you have both Win 7 and FSX installed in the same partition?

My system setup is 2 x 1TB Hard Drives RAID 0 Win 7 64 bit. I have FSX on C Drive C:/FSX. and not default C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X.....

As was said above, you can copy your entire FSX folder to the SSD, and then change drive letters..

Flight1 has a free Registry fixer for download if you cannot match the FSX folder name.

While the OS may also enjoy being on the SSD, FSX will be quite happy being on the SSD all by itself.

Hi Bert thanks for the response, I can see a lot people have different views regarding OS & FSX SSD Setup. I think what you said is true I read a forum on the internet and on Avsim through this link: http://forum.avsim.net/tutorials/article/8-moving-fsx-over-to-an-ssd/

They all look similar, and as well looking at views from this current post I think IMOP I'll go with just copying FSX straight onto SSD without reinstalling fsx.

My system setup is 2 x 1TB Hard Drives RAID 0 Win 7 64 bit. I have FSX on C Drive C:/FSX. and not default C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X.....

How much of that 2TB resulting partition is in use?

personally I would just move all the data to an external drive, then migrate OS + programs, including FSX, to the SSD. There's no reason why the OS should take up more than 30-40GB

As for Ben's method using junction points, you could always try it I guess, but backup your current drive in case you want to do the above at some point without needing to copy FSX back to it's original location and delete the junctions

Can this work for P3D? I installed it on my HDD meaning to try it and I'm actually starting to like it. I'd like to put it on my SSD with bf4, FSX, xp10

Does the F1 work with p3d?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Can this work for P3D? I installed it on my HDD meaning to try it and I'm actually starting to like it. I'd like to put it on my SSD with bf4, FSX, xp10

Does the F1 work with p3d?

Even if it worked for P3D too, the F1 registry tool fixes the sim, but moving it to another drive may render your addons unusable

Oh? Isn't this what the OP wants to do? Move his entire install without affecting addons?

I've only got a few airplanes but Orbx would take a while

Bah - I'll just leave it as is.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

There are several ways to enjoy the speed of SSD.
We have to remember qua beyond the speed of loading programs on SSD there is a very important fact, the pagefile that Windows automatically creates the drive where you installed.
Ideally, Windows installed on the SSD, that way he had used automatically and set aside a portion of the SSD for pagefile.
If SSD is large and contain Windows and simulators, great, simulators charge very quickly.
If simulators are in conventional HD and Windows installed on SSD, simulators will take longer to load, but they will get the benefit in performance.
There is yet another way, suppose Windows and simulators are installed in HD, and you do not want to reinstall Windows, you can install a SSD, an interesting detail is that in this case a small SSD, 20 GB or 40 will cause a great improvement, just install and click on the properties of SSD Windows will offer the option to use wholly or partly as a ReadyBoost, there will be a great improvement in performance of simulators, and other programs.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

There is yet another way, suppose Windows and simulators are installed in HD, and you do not want to reinstall Windows, you can install a SSD, an interesting detail is that in this case a small SSD, 20 GB or 40 will cause a great improvement, just install and click on the properties of SSD Windows will offer the option to use wholly or partly as a ReadyBoost, there will be a great improvement in performance of simulators, and other programs.

João Alfredo

As far as I know, Intel SRT only works with a Z77, 87 or 97 board, so keep that in mind. If you have one of those boards though, the acceleration option is indeed very nice and cheap!