Sign in to follow this  
JohnSmith

SP1 Beta Testers: Performance Differences?

Have you tried no frame rate lock Stephen? No internal limiter and no external limiter, no limiter of any kind.

Huge frame rate increase for me and others. No stutters.

Seems some set-ups can handle it and some can't.

I get very high frame rate, but that's because I keep sliders at a sensible level and run with only GEX, UTX and ASN.

That works perfect at my modest PC, but the trade off is ground textures blur I cannot fix without FPS lock, but I can live with that. 

From day 1 I have found the 777 to be better on fps than the NGX, it's VAS that's the problem.

Any news on VAS and SP1?

My question exactly. That's my main concern. VAS is  problem for me on approach to bug airports like KLAX and KDFW. when I cycle the outside view. It normally happens whenever the scenery starts loading on approach. Hope SP1 solves that issue.

That works perfect at my modest PC, but the trade off is ground textures blur I cannot fix without FPS lock, but I can live with that.

Guess I'm lucky, no blurries here.

I faintly remember an announcement of a sound caching option. If caching is turned off, VAS is supposed to improve.

Looking forward to some more VAS-tweaking options like that.

The other side of the story may be that additional functions (like wx radar) might eat up additional VAS?!?

I'm affraid that nobody will tell us actual picture with VAS consumption before release of SP.1 - otherwise another Holy War could be expected)

Always check other site to get better info AVSIM alone should not be used as before purchase info, cause info on AVSIm can be very unrealistic at times.

For example all the noise about p3dv2 on avsim, I bought it only to find you need an update for flight plans to work, and yet to figure out how to load user graphic settings.

In same way, the first question everybody should be asking about pmdg 777 is the VAS issue that has folks turning down scenery to insane levels just so they don't hit vas limit. Now pmdg announced new features like camera and weather radar but no info vas, so far am gona leave the 777 alone till addon devs come down from cloud9 lala land.

PMDG New features are totally useless if I have to turn my scenery slider to zero for your addon to work.

Don't make decisions based on info you read here go to other sites also to get a more realistic view.

And as such the only thing we need from pmdg right now is not new features, but solution to the VAS issue. Cause am currently flying  777 in fsx using fs1994 scenery standard to avoid vas limit.

On avsim sometimes too much factual information gets omitted in marketing threads, only for you to buy another unstable addon on an already unstable fsx platform to waste your time.

Always check other site to get better info AVSIM alone should not be used as before purchase info, cause info on AVSIm can be very unrealistic at times.

For example all the noise about p3dv2 on avsim, I bought it only to find you need an update for flight plans to work, and yet to figure out how to load user graphic settings.

In same way, the first question everybody should be asking about pmdg 777 is the VAS issue that has folks turning down scenery to insane levels just so they don't hit vas limit. Now pmdg announced new features like camera and weather radar but no info vas, so far am gona leave the 777 alone till addon devs come down from cloud9 lala land.

PMDG New features are totally useless if I have to turn my scenery slider to zero for your addon to work.

Don't make decisions based on info you read here go to other sites also to get a more realistic view.

And as such the only thing we need from pmdg right now is not new features, but solution to the VAS issue. Cause am currently flying  777 in fsx using fs1994 scenery standard to avoid vas limit.

On avsim sometimes too much factual information gets omitted in marketing threads, only for you to buy another unstable addon on an already unstable fsx platform to waste your time.

Fascinating considering I am running PMDG 777 and 737NGX with sliders on full, ORBX Vector and Global, addon airports, and a plethora of other addons like ASN, REX etc and have NEVER had a VAS issue. Are you running a 32-bit OS by any chance? 

Hello ZoomAir!

What are Your system specs?

Please consider adding them to Your profile, as adding system specs may be helpful in any flightsim forum to find proper solutions.

And as also already asked above by 77west in #22:

Do You use a 32bit OS?

Furthermore:

Do You use the fsx "sceneryconfigeditor" tool?:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/files/

or ...

Have You considerd to "switch" to DX10 via Steve's great DX10 fixer?

I am just asking this as both things listed here help a lot to stay clear of OOM's in FSX for a long, long time - even if detailed sceneries, weather and dedailed 3rd party A/C addons and all that stuff are being used altogether!

Now please do not get me wrong:

It will always be a compromise, but:

A compromise certainly worth it, when keeping in mind what a great add on the PMDG 777 is!

And PMDG's 777 certainly is not(!) useless and i am sure that its new features will also not be useless, nor will they make the 777 useless at all!

This great PMDG add on will only become even better i think!

By the way:

SP1 is a cost-free upgrade!

So saying that it is all just "marketing" to make people "... buy another unstable addon ...", as You did here in #21 just isn't true.

There is no(!) money required for SP1 at all!

Sure:

The 300er upgrade may be another point, but if You don't want to, You don't have to buy it ...

It is an optional package, but as it differs from the 200lr/f version, there is nothing wrong with adding some sort of upgrade price for this particular 777 i think!

But then again:

No one is forced to buy the 300er upgrade package and the SP1 is for free!

And back to "future features" again, well...

The outside-cameras for instance will be available via a 2D window only and are not turned on all the times anyways - so why worry that much?

And in regards to the weatherradar - well:

I know we only have the reports of some beta testers available by now, who have kindly provided some infos to us here - but - so far their reports seem very positive in regards to performance - and even more important - they also do remain positive in regards to VAS!

So why not wait and see ...

The alternative however, to simply "leave it out" and do not at least seriously try to implement it into the sim due to "FSX's limitations" is no option in my opinion, because:

Those developers who try hard to get as much realism into the sim as possible and also find a good balance in regards to "performance" certainly are the best in my opinion - and PMDG sure are a part of thes "best of the best" here! 

So to sum it up quickly - and  only my two cents here all the way ...:

Every new feature has its cost in a virtual simming environment.

But judging from all the great times that i and so many other flightsimmers had with PMDG's 777 so far, these costs were easily worth it all the time!

And i remain most confident, that this will contnue to be the case in the future as well, once SP1 and the 300er model are available!

:smile2:

I'm affraid that nobody will tell us actual picture with VAS consumption before release of SP.1 - otherwise another Holy War could be expected)

VAS is a lot bigger of an issue than the plane alone...

As far as I know, there is no utility that shows the breakdown of VAS by product.  For me, publishing my VAS would be pointless since I use a lot of heavy-handed scenery (Orbx, FlightBeam, and so on).

Kyle Rodgers

Before moving to the X-platform, I was forever trying to avoid VAS issues and maximize my available ram within the 32-bit FSX/P3D sim world.  I had good results with IOBit's RAZER Game Booster, which is free.  It's not a panacea- but it definitely helps, and I'm still using it over in X-world.  The idea is it can be configured to kill unneeded software that loads up at boot time.  Try as you might, over time, things creep into your system that are nibbling away at your resources including clock cycles.  The more of these you can eliminate, the better your desired software (in this case FSX/P3D) will run. Of course some stuff -has- to be there for your system to run properly, so if you're unsure, you can simply run GameBooster with its default settings and see if things improve.

For the benefit of those who are new to the VAS issue- there are some definite advantages to a 64-bit program, principal of which is the fact that ALL your system ram is available to that program, not the approximately 4GB maximum that is part of a 32-bit program.  Running Windows 64-bit is a step in the right direction, but if you are flying P3D or FSX, those remain 32-bit programs and thus you're captive to the 4GB VAS limit.

Laminar has announced a potential long-range view ("distance fix") for X-Plane that will take full advantage of those pilots with 16 or even 32-GB of system ram.  Also, the X-sim takes full advantage of today's modern video cards and uses the V-RAM that is on the GPU as well, thus 4GB of ram on your video card (or 6 in the case of the Titan) also gives max benefits.  Ultimately, the 64-bitness of the X-world convinced me that there was more to life than trying to 'live with' frames in the teens.  Tip to those wanting to experiment with 64-bit sim:  BUY the product, the free trial is so time-limited you get frustrated trying to get airborne before the timed demo expires.  There is a small learning curve, but the freedom of this 'alternate universe' will pay back big dividends to those who have 'spent all the money' on a muscular system and are still scratching their head wondering why performance is so poor.

I know that the investment in all the hang-ons for FSX/P3D is kind of an anchor that holds many of us captive in the 32-bit world.  That said, there is a wealth of -free- scenery and airports available for your use that can go a long way toward offsetting the migration expense.  Once you are unchained, I submit the frames rate improvement (a BIG thing) and butter-smooth graphics will impress. There is a very nice free tubeliner (EADT's x737 project) that  gives some of that PMDG-like experience for those who have been sitting on the fence.  The x737 was recently upgraded and now offers a great solution and a nice FMC.

The ultimate draw of the x-platform is that all the hang-ons can pile on and it still runs well, and no VAS issues, period.  And no, it's NOT for 'everyone', it's simply an alternative for those who are fed up with struggling and tweaking with their current set up.  A final plus?  This alternative runs out of just ONE folder on your PC (suggestion:  create this folder in your ROOT directory, example C:\XP10.  That way it's easy to find, and to copy or backup.  This is a HUGE difference with P3D and FSX, which are scattered all over your machine, thus resulting in a real PITA to securely back up or restore in the event that you hose your setup.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

Precisely... I also have "never" has any VAS issues whatsoever.

It does make me smile when I see all these posts complaining about VAS issues, and then the complainant admits to having high slider settings and hyper detailed scenery plus super detailed aircraft add-ons.

Being sensible is the key. If FSX has a VAS limit then obviously we have to avoid exceeding it.

Fascinating considering I am running PMDG 777 and 737NGX with sliders on full, ORBX Vector and Global, addon airports, and a plethora of other addons like ASN, REX etc and have NEVER had a VAS issue. Are you running a 32-bit OS by any chance? 

Same here, I've never had an OOM in FSX.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Yusuf Keyre

I've never had any VAS issues. But, I have an realistic expectations what my PC can and cannot do.

This

Mauricio Brentano

My system is

I7990 @4.6Ghz 12Gig Ram win7 64bit GTX Titan.

3 x SSD (OS, FSX, Scenery)

The system is rock solid stable and smooth, I build my PC's myself and configure professionally.

Using IO Bit game booster and ProcessLaso  (both are must have for fps ) 

The only time FSX crashes for me this days is PMDG 777 hitting VAS limit hours into long haul flight.

I am not looking forward to new features just VAS fix or improvement, the plane needs to leave some VAS  for the platform its running on . Its as simple as that and you cant argue with that.

The fact that googling FSX OOM PMDG 777 brings up tons of results is enough to nullify the comments of those saying they have never had OOM with PMDG 777. Cause you are in the extreme minority according to Google statistics.

Increasingly starting to look like FSX is not powerful enough for  PMDG 777.

I have used all PMDG products over the years and 777 is the first time since using fsx from 2006 that I see this OOM error message.

Never had OOM with NGX, and MD11 was super fps friendly, even J41 never gave issues.

A product designed for a platform needs to leave memory for the platform to run, in same way a truck too big for a bridge will cause collapse.

Fact that PMDG 777 VAS is not a big topic, but instead new features are, says a lot about how much you can trust the message on avsim.

even Word Not Allowed and froogle are no longer here.

If PMDG 777 was not a great product I won't be using it, but it unreasonably overpowers the platform its designed for (FSX) and that is a HUGE design  flaw. If I don't get OOM with default a/c then in principle I should not with PMDG. I can understand lower FPS with default a/c but not OOM.

P3Dv2 also has huge flaws, the most unbelievable is the flight planner that crashes, makes you wonder what was tested before release.

You have to take it slow with this hobby otherwise you ll be very broke and very pis+sed off very quickly. 99%  Flight sim products is crap software , cause its a small community. But brushing these flaws under carpet is killing the community, people loosing money and interest and leaving.

Maybe its time for PMDG to move to XPlane, so we can close down the FSX forum once and for all.