Sign in to follow this  
Magpie22

RNAV Approach query

I have the Navigraph RNAV (RNP) rwy 02 chart for MHTG and I am having difficulty with this approach.

The plane ends up well right of the runway, I have manually intervened with success (rough though). The aircraft bank angle is set at 30 deg. and the plane is configured for landing. The chart indicates mins for cat C&D aircraft, NA for cat A&B. I am unsure if this one(737-800wl) is cat B or cat C, maybe thats the problem.

Thanks,

Kevin

The last part of the approach is a visual part. At this airport its impossible to do throgh autpilot and fmc. You need to hand fly. The are some visual aiming points but you need the addon scenery for this to be accurate. On youtube there a very good tutorial for this airport. Search for it.

Thanks Lasse,

That seems right though the chart mentions to "RE-ENGAGE LNAV BY WP TG011" which is very close to the runway threshold. 

Kevin

As far as I remember the line that shows the flight path gettes dotted or broken after tg011. This means you are flying visual. You can fly visual with autopilot but not at this airport. Often I'm doung a little more than 30 dgs on the final turn. Btw bank limiter does not affect LNAV only HDG Select.

The chart I have (16 APR 14) doesn't indicate dotted or broken lines after TG011, however it does state "Special ACFT and Aircrew Authorization Required" so maybe(?) the visual part is included with their training. I'm not worried about hand flying, I do that on other approaches, just getting the RNAV procedure correct for this approach.

I am curious why you "RE-ENGAGE LNAV BY WP TG011", defies visual procedure.

My charts are older than that. So it might have changes from what I've known. It's been half a year since last time I landed there. With the scenery addon you can use a cloverleaf riad intersection to aim for the final. Very satisfying when it works:-)

I dunno about that video... Especially since we're talking about an RNAV approach, you need to fly by the numbers. You should keep AP engaged to ensure the RNP right up until MDA. Also, if it says 7000ft, then fly 7000 +/-100ft, not 7200ft. As you saw in the video, he was really high when he lined up with the runway. Also, landing by what he calls "taxiway 2" is NOT OK. I would actually say "taxiway 1" is the farthest point on the runway that you want to touch down by. And on a final note... He has 6000lbs of fuel in the center tank and less than 2000lbs in each wing tank. Wing tanks are supposed to be full whenever there's more than 1000lbs of fuel in the center tank. But i did like the way he explained the visual cues for the final approach part.

As for the "RE-ENGAGE LNAV BY WP TG011" part, that's for the missed approach. It's there to remind you that you have an RNP to obey even for the missed approach part of the procedure.

Cristi Neagu

As for the "RE-ENGAGE LNAV BY WP TG011" part, that's for the missed approach. It's there to remind you that you have an RNP to obey even for the missed approach part of the procedure.

Was about to post the same thing.  Exactly!

Kyle Rodgers

As for the "RE-ENGAGE LNAV BY WP TG011" part, that's for the missed approach. It's there to remind you that you have an RNP to obey even for the missed approach part of the procedure.

Yeh, I did see that on the chart's descent angle profile but wasn't sure how to continue the approach.

Especially since we're talking about an RNAV approach, you need to fly by the numbers. You should keep AP engaged to ensure the RNP right up until MDA.

Thats the info I was looking for, thanks.

Lasse, great video I watched last night. Thanks.