Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

how to get IFR clearance from smaller airports ?

I'm testing VoxATC  for the granted seven days (read I'm totally newbie with it).  I do not understand how to file and open an IFR flight and get a clearance from a non towered airport  (for instance PAVD).  I do not see a way in the menu to call the FSS or ARTCC (Anchorage in my example on 119.3) on the ground or to file a plan in flight after having taken off. V-ATC recognizes the flight as IFR all right but doesn't give a squawk code either and there's no way to close the flightplan at the end.  Googling the issue I saw it being raised several times but I've still to find an answer... Any clue would be appreciated.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

The process is automated once you've loaded your plan into FSX (note that in 6.34 this can be done without restarting a new flight, but older versions must use 'end flight' and "load flight plan" options in FSX before starting Voxatc to get Voxatc to recognize the flight plan - otherwise it will say something about local flying and you won't get to fly IFR airport to airport.

Loaded correctly Voxatc should automatically direct to you a different radio frequency for opening and closing flight plans at smaller airports.

John

Thanks ! I downloaded it yesterday so I guess I've the last version. It seems to me that I followed the procedure but will double check. In Valdez I get the message "no ATC unit found".

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Yes...I get that message when my flight plan isn't loaded properly - but I use version 6.2 because 6.34 currently has too many bugs for me.  You must load your flight plan as previously described to get ATC service.

Thanks John but it does not work for me . I tried today from a small strip (S45) in Or, I load the FP before enabling V/ATC (in and out the sim window) and on ground I only get the unicom not Seattle Center as with the FSX ATC... I get Seattle center frequency in flight and it recognizes me as an IFR then but doesn't give a squawk.

Dominique

I'll have to try the smaller airports again with Voxatc.  I forget the responses.  From the user manual it looks like much of that only works for VFR flying in Vox.  But my plans are usually IFR so I will have to experiment with some of my old flight plans.

The developper was kind enough to answer me  :

"If you're flying from a Non-Towered airport, VoxATC assumes you have got your clearance (as planned) over the phone before starting your flight."

So you cannot call the FSS to get the clearance and consequently you don't get a squawk code. This is weird as it flawlessly works for a VFR clearance.

Thanks again to those above who answered my post.

Dominique