Sign in to follow this  
Chris Willis

FS9 will not load Level D 767 for Win98/ME in case you did not know

Guest danowat

Joe,So are so combative in your replies without first getting the full facts my friend."I guess the same analogy and questions could be asked about people using 12 hours to download a product because they still use a dial up connection instead of paying more for something different like broadband, cable, dsl, etc...."In our little country with have a company called BT, the most useless telecommunications company in the world, if I could get ADSL I would upgrade without a moments thought, but because of the fact that the said company in question operate purely on profit, it is not profitable for them to unable our local telephone exchange to take ADSL, and as such is physically IMPOSSIBLE for me to get a broadband connect, not for want of trying I tell you.The fact I asked is because many people seem afraid of change, fair enough I guess, but I believe that XP was such a huge jump for MS that everyone should be reaping the benefits of such a leap in this OS.I wasnt at all gunning for an agruement, something which you do seem to enjoy insighting, it was a genuine question as to why someone would want to miss out on the benefits of upgrading.As too the original question, it is clearly stated that XP is the only supported OS, if there is any doubt in anyones mind as to weather 98/ME would work, then the individual should follow this up before making a purchase.Dan.

Hi dan,Well, there are other options such as Sattelite which you can do to get higher speed access than dialup. You just choose to keep what you have just like those with Win98 or WinME choose to keep their setup.I see no difference in the decisions.As to your comments about being combative,"So are so combative in your replies without first getting the full facts my friend."Thanks for the personal attack. How about sticking to the topic instead, like I did.?Try Here:http://www.ispreview.co.uk/broadband/sat.shtmlYou see, there are other options available to you, just try thinking outside the box a bit.And next time, don't ask for an explanation which I thought I was giving you. Just make your comment instead. Go back and read what you asked.You Said:"Maybe someone could explain to me why people would hang on to a 7 year old OS?, I couldnt wait to drop 98/ME."Asked and Answered, IMHO.As for other reasons some won't change from ME or from Win98SE, I think program compatibility may be another reason. I still have a few programs that are 5-8 years old that I run. Maybe the adavantage is minimized if one has to go out and buy 5-10 new versions of software once they upgrade. The True cost is not only the OS, IMHO, but everything else you end up upgrading to reap those benefits. When I had a fully paid for version of MSWord 2000 on my WinME system, and I upgrade to XP, why should I have to go out and buy a new office suite or program when the differences in functionality between Word 2000 and Word XP is minimal at best IMHO, for what many people use it for.Sonar5****************Grab My FREEWARE Voice recognition Profiles here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a][a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=60740]FSD Avanti Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest danowat

As to your comments about being combative,"So are so combative in your replies without first getting the full facts my friend."Thanks for the personal attack. How about sticking to the topic instead, like I did.?, can't see how that is a personal attack , but hey.I infact used Silvermead sattelite "broadband" for a few months, was extremely unimpressed by it, and considering the fact it was costing me upwards of

OK, I made the change to the page so it is without doubts..."It will not work on Windows 98/Me."

Thanks,

Steve Halpern

Flight One Software

My question is simple. Why?Why won't your plane work on my 4yr old computer that was shipped with ME? ME OS is only four years old not seven.FS9 works fine with my ME.

Windows XP has certain features that are not on Windows 98/Me.And one thing to note is that it would maybe have considerably delayed the title because everything needs to be dual tested, dual coded in some instances, and even a simple update may need multiple tests and extra coding.In some cases, the update may work straight away!!! In other cases, it can open a can of worms... You need dual setups possibly, and special notes for each operating system.XP was released on October 25, 2001. That is a very long time ago!So we know there are a few with Windows 98/Me, but the time of having a large group of developers work to support an old operating system is better spent on new features, etc... And it also simplifies support GREATLY. You only have to deal with 1 operating system.

Thanks,

Steve Halpern

Flight One Software

>My question is simple. Why?Why not simply trying downloading gdiplus.dll from Microsoft ? Usually, it's the main reason modern airplanes wouldn't work, they all use GDI+ and Gdiplus.dll is supplied as standard on XP, but it has to be separately downloaded to be used in Windows 98/ME.regards,

Hi Chris,Not necessarily true.I updated my Win98SE in January, and it updated through windows update. Now I'm not sure if those files were older or something, but most were security updates.I suspect, and am probably wrong, but I guess if an update applies to multiple OS, they may be allowing updates.I'll plug it in, and check again right now.Ok, I'm back, I ran it under IE, Tools, Windows Update, and it said no critical updates, nine Windows98SE Updates, and one Driver Update, all of which I didn't want installed anyway.SO, I still feel they are allowing updates, I just don't know the specific criteria they are using.I did get Critical updates the last time I ran it though.Regards,Joe****************Grab My FREEWARE Voice recognition Profiles here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a][a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=60740]FSD Avanti Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

>Windows XP has certain features that are not on Windows>98/Me.>>So we know there are a few with Windows 98/Me, but the time of>having a large group of developers work to support an old>operating system is better spent on new features, etc... And>it also simplifies support GREATLY. You only have to deal with>1 operating system.>Steve,Thanks for that post. I'm running a cutting edge machine, but chose to install Win2000, as I really dislike the bloat and fisher-price sort of dumbing down with XP. PMDG works fine on the system, I have GDI+ installed.I've seen two reports that LvD works fine with Win2000, do you have any comments on this, official or otherwise?Does anyone else?I'm getting ready to buy it.* Orest-~~~~~~~~~Orest Skrypuchvirtual.united.comUAL1445 Staff ORDFO

Orest Skrypuch
President & CEO, UVA

www.united-virtual.com

Guest garymccl

Why Change? Well, you have answered that question yourself. Everything you currently use may well work in an older operating system, but it prevents you from buying newer stuff - like the topic of this thread - the 767LDS.At work, we upgraded from Groupwise to Outlook as our email system. Why? Email works in Groupwise, so why change? Well, mainly because very little integrates with it - so we upgraded (that word is used very carefully) to Outlook.In the future, very little will work on ME/98/98SE/2000. The operating system will go on and work as it is supposed to, but nothing will work for it.So - many of the repliers in this thread contradict themselves! Upgrading becuase something doesn't work right is NOT the only reason to update.

I would also be interested to know if anyone has tried it with Win2000. Sometime in the next couple of weeks I'm going to setup an XP/2000 dualboot and try the 767 on the 2000 partition.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

> I would also be interested to know if anyone has tried>it with Win2000. Sometime in the next couple of weeks I'm>going to setup an XP/2000 dualboot and try the 767 on the 2000>partition.>DougI'd love to hear what you find! Please post here, if no one else does.* Orest-~~~~~~~~~Orest Skrypuchvirtual.united.comUAL1445 Staff ORDFO

Orest Skrypuch
President & CEO, UVA

www.united-virtual.com

As soon as I get the time do set it all up I'll post what I find.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.