Sign in to follow this  
FSX-Fan2013

Few questions about the weather radar

Hello,

I have some questions about the weather radar. So, for now it will only work with ASN. I have OPUS and I don't know if I should buy ASN to get the weather radar. Will the radar also work with other programs like OPUS in the future or will it stay like this that it's just with ASN prossible? And are there any plans to integrate the weather radar in the 737NGX or any other older products?

I would say they will work in the future,

However, my opinion is that ASN is by a country mile (possible english term = a lot) is the superior product. Not only in accuracy but in depiction and why would you want to be with anyone else? HIFI were the ones who made the weather radar happen, no one else has.

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

I'm not so optimistic. There isn't any indication that the PMDG WXR will work with other weather engines in future. It needs ASN's additional rain information. Still one should never say never. It might happen. Other weather engines might be updated to work in a similar way to ASN and therefore work with PMDG's radar.

Interestingly, at Aerosoft the situation is the exact opposite. They have developed a way to find rain in FSX. Their new realistic WXR will work with any weather engine except ASN.

As for retrofits I think it's quite likely to be integrated with the NGX in future. Possibly also the J41 as it is included retrospectively in the Operations Center so may. But I don't expect to see any updates on the MD11.

ki9cAAb.jpg

From what I can see, I don't see any barriers to other developers to implement some type of weather radar feature.  Their hurdle isn't getting the data into PMDG products; their hurdle is getting their weather radar to co-incide with precip.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but sure, Aerosoft found precip data in the sim itself, but isn't it so incredibly basic that it's just giant grid squares?  I'd consider that a pretty dead end there.  Finding the precip data was promising, but if it's on such a macro scale, it's difficult - if not impossible - to break macro down into micro.  I'm honestly not sure where they can go from there, unless people are okay with large grid squares of rain on their radar.

Kyle Rodgers

I would say they will work in the future,

However, my opinion is that ASN is by a country mile (possible english term = a lot) is the superior product. Not only in accuracy but in depiction and why would you want to be with anyone else? HIFI were the ones who made the weather radar happen, no one else has.

Alex

I have to disagree with you on that. In my eyes FSGRW is the superior product when in comes to stable performance and accurate weather, turbulence and fog depiction. I'm not going to get into detail here, just check it out on the internet...

From what I can see, I don't see any barriers to other developers to implement some type of weather radar feature. Their hurdle isn't getting the data into PMDG products; their hurdle is getting their weather radar to co-incide with precip.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but sure, Aerosoft found precip data in the sim itself, but isn't it so incredibly basic that it's just giant grid squares? I'd consider that a pretty dead end there. Finding the precip data was promising, but if it's on such a macro scale, it's difficult - if not impossible - to break macro down into micro. I'm honestly not sure where they can go from there, unless people are okay with large grid squares of rain on their radar.

I don't know what Aerosoft have done but if it was just about the grid it would be very obvious in the screenshots. I don't think it should be dismissed yet simply because of the different methodology or NIH.

As I understand it ASN doesn't have any better info about where rain really is. It positions clouds according to the weather it generates. I assume it decides which clouds have rain, where and how much. The interface to the PMDG WXR would have to be published before another weather engine producer could do the same.

ki9cAAb.jpg

And correct me if I'm wrong, but sure, Aerosoft found precip data in the sim itself, but isn't it so incredibly basic that it's just giant grid squares?  I'd consider that a pretty dead end there.  Finding the precip data was promising, but if it's on such a macro scale, it's difficult - if not impossible - to break macro down into micro.  I'm honestly not sure where they can go from there, unless people are okay with large grid squares of rain on their radar.

From what I understand over from the Aerosoft forums, the giant squares are just conceptual at the moment. It was to "prove" the data was there. They're working on the cosmetics of it at the moment and will be more realistic in the future.

I don't know what Aerosoft have done but if it was just about the grid it would be very obvious in the screenshots. I don't think it should be dismissed yet simply because of the different methodology or NIH.

Looks pretty obvious to me:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/78605-weather-radar-work-in-progress/#entry560956

I honestly couldn't care less what their methodology is.  It's the fact that the display has blocks on it that bothers me.  Rain cells don't look like that.  I think it's great that they were able to (seemingly) prove that you can pull precip data out of the sim, but it doesn't achieve the intended effect (at least given the information that's currently out there), so it really doesn't do much good (again, at the level we know it to be developed).  Will they be able to take that any further?  Who knows... 

If so, then great.

If not, I'm not surprised.

From what I understand over from the Aerosoft forums, the giant squares are just conceptual at the moment. It was to "prove" the data was there. They're working on the cosmetics of it at the moment and will be more realistic in the future.

The way I read it, it didn't seem that they understood exactly what they'd need to do to get it to look better.  I agree that it looks like they released the info to prove the data is there, but I'm not convinced they know what to do from there.

Kyle Rodgers

Well... you could argue that if the rain in the real world would work like the rain in FSX, you'd see squares in a real airplane too. 

Aerosoft's weather radar sounds like a CPU killer, though.

Cristi Neagu

The way I read it, it didn't seem that they understood exactly what they'd need to do to get it to look better.  I agree that it looks like they released the info to prove the data is there, but I'm not convinced they know what to do from there.

The way I see it is they've managed to do what most thought impossible, pull the precip data out of the sim, (that's the hard part right there) so I wouldn't bet against them being able to clean it up and improve it's performance.

Will it be as feature rich and as accurate as PMDG's? I doubt that very much.

I have to disagree with you on that. In my eyes FSGRW is the superior product when in comes to stable performance and accurate weather, turbulence and fog depiction. I'm not going to get into detail here, just check it out on the internet...

And I have to disagree with you on that  :P . In my eyes, OPUS is the most superior product. Stephen's innovative approach was it, which lay the foundation of current weather programs and I think he will still be one step ahead of them all  B) . 

Just hope, he soon focuses on finding a way of making the triple seven's weather radar and his program work together.

Dominik

Looks pretty obvious to me:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/78605-weather-radar-work-in-progress/#entry560956

I honestly couldn't care less what their methodology is. It's the fact that the display has blocks on it that bothers me. Rain cells don't look like that. I think it's great that they were able to (seemingly) prove that you can pull precip data out of the sim, but it doesn't achieve the intended effect (at least given the information that's currently out there), so it really doesn't do much good (again, at the level we know it to be developed). Will they be able to take that any further? Who knows...

If so, then great.

If not, I'm not surprised.

You picked what is clearly a work in progress shot. More recent images are more realistic. It's been announced for their forthcoming Airbus update so there's no doubt about whether it's going any further. I wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise.

ki9cAAb.jpg

And I have to disagree with you on that . In my eyes, OPUS is the most superior product. Stephen's innovative approach was it, which lay the foundation of current weather programs and I think he will still be one step ahead of them all .

Have to disagree with you all on this one, we all know  that fsx default weather is far better  and gives better depiction of  weather :rolleyes:

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

The way I see it is they've managed to do what most thought impossible, pull the precip data out of the sim, (that's the hard part right there) so I wouldn't bet against them being able to clean it up and improve it's performance.

I could always try and break a world record by trying to fold paper more than seven times.  If I did it, it would sure be worth about nothing unless there was a practical use for it.  Doing something "impossible" is one thing.  Doing something useful with it is quite another.  I haven't seen any new pictures since the ones in the thread I posted.  If it's still so basic that you can clearly see grid squares, then I question the practical use of that data.

Will it be as feature rich and as accurate as PMDG's? I doubt that very much.

It's not PMDG's - it's HiFi's...

You picked what is clearly a work in progress shot. More recent images are more realistic. It's been announced for their forthcoming Airbus update so there's no doubt about whether it's going any further. I wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise.

That's the only one I knew of.  I saw it, wasn't impressed, and moved on.  If you have more recent, I'd love to see it.

Kyle Rodgers

It's not PMDG's - it's HiFi's...

"The other is a very advanced weather radar implementation that was created in partnership with HiFi Technologies and we think represents one of the best radar simulations yet created in the FS market." - RSR

Stop splitting hairs  :P