Sign in to follow this  
FSX-Fan2013

Few questions about the weather radar

Stop splitting hairs 

I wasn't.  HiFi did all of the base work.  PMDG implemented features from it (and Alex helped with a lot of work, too, but still...).  You don't need to look very far to see where they emphasize the work that HiFi did, and how, in most cases, they defer to HiFi for any feature that is, or isn't currently implemented.  The is obvious in how much the HiFi guys have been answering questions about the product/implementation:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/441015-weather-radar-video-previews-by-kyle-rodgers-and-frooglepete/page-4#entry3012219

Kyle Rodgers

It's not PMDG's - it's HiFi's...

I wasn't.  HiFi did all of the base work.  PMDG implemented features from it

Is it PMDG's weather radar or is it HiFi's? Or both? I think RSR's quote is quite clear.

Ok, maybe it was less a case of hair splitting and more a case of being inaccurate and misleading, because as you admit, PMDG have a certain amount of input in the weather radar, however much that may be. So to say 'it's not PMDG's it's HiFi's' is inaccurate at best.

Is it PMDG's weather radar or is it HiFi's? Or both? I think RSR's quote is quite clear.

Ok, maybe it was less a case of hair splitting and more a case of being inaccurate and misleading, because as you admit, PMDG have a certain amount of input in the weather radar, however much that may be. So to say 'it's not PMDG's it's HiFi's' is inaccurate at best.

From my understanding, most of the work was HiFi (the actual weather data finding, gathering, etc), and the integration (to include default setting) was PMDG.  You'll note - again - that any time functionality is discussed, they usually defer to HiFi to answer it.  When ground clutter was brought up - again - HiFi provided more detail.  Ryan has also noted on several occasions that further development is pretty much up to HiFi.

So, sure, the way I put it was potentially misleading, but it was more accurate than calling the radar PMDG's, that's for sure.

Kyle Rodgers

So, sure, the way I put it was potentially misleading, but it was more accurate than calling the radar PMDG's, that's for sure.

More accurate, less accurate, you were still inaccurate, so was I.

However, in my original post in this thread I was merely pointing out that in my opinion the weather radar implemented in PMDG's 777 will be more feature rich and accurate than what we may (or may not) see in the other vendor's work. I wasn't trying to point out who'd done the most work on it and therefore who should claim it as their own.

Whereas you were pointing out who'd done the most work on the radar and who therefore it belongs to, but you did so inaccurately.  ^_^

From my understanding, most of the work was HiFi (the actual weather data finding, gathering, etc),

It has to be because the same solution is being used by iFly and, apparently, FSL. The PMDG part is simulating the WXR in the aircraft.

I don't think there's any more data gathering going on. Unless you know of a way to identify cloud bearing clouds from published weather data. There's a lot of weather modelling going on, but whether it's "real world" precipitation or not is a moot point. It's integrated with the weather ASN presents and that's really all that counts.

ki9cAAb.jpg

It has to be because the same solution is being used by iFly and, apparently, FSL. The PMDG part is simulating the WXR in the aircraft.

I don't think there's any more data gathering going on. Unless you know of a way to identify cloud bearing clouds from published weather data. There's a lot of weather modelling going on, but whether it's "real world" precipitation or not is a moot point. It's integrated with the weather ASN presents and that's really all that counts.

Not sure how my opinion/stance has come across, but if it's anything other than what I'm about to describe, I'll take the fall for that...

I wasn't intending to put across the view that the weather radar would match up real world rain cells precisely.  If anything, I've been a big opponent of that, mainly because NexRad radar is a composite of multiple elevation scans of the weather.  In doing so, they lose the altitude dimension and the depiction becomes flat (at least on the publicly available data that I know of).  In doing so, it kinda ruins the concept of aviation weather radar, which is being able to tactically decide how the weather will affect you at various altitudes.

I'm 100% in agreement with you that the only thing that truly matters is the radar matches the weather that ASN presents.  That's all I ask.  By "data gathering" I meant that ASN gathers real world data, assembles it, models it, and throws it into the sim - on a high level.

Kyle Rodgers

Have to disagree with you all on this one, we all know that fsx default weather is far better and gives better depiction of weather :rolleyes:

+1 Any possibility to get FSX weather working with PMDG?

Harry Sung

+1 Any possibility to get FSX weather working with PMDG?

You actually thought he was serious?

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

You actually thought he was serious?

I knew he was half serious, but I have been and still use FSX weather which I reckon is quite good especially after recently upgrading my computer.

So, is it possible to get it to work with PMDG's weather in SP1?  Wishing hard here ;)

Harry Sung

which I reckon is quite good especially after recently upgrading my computer.

It's actually rather terrible.

So, is it possible to get it to work with PMDG's weather in SP1?  Wishing hard here ;)

You referring to the weather radar?  If so, then no.

Kyle Rodgers

I would say they will work in the future,

However, my opinion is that ASN is by a country mile (possible english term = a lot) is the superior product. Not only in accuracy but in depiction and why would you want to be with anyone else? HIFI were the ones who made the weather radar happen, no one else has.

Alex

If I remember correctly, you LAUGHED at me when I said wx radars were now POSSIBLE with ASN and all that was needed was for someone to find time to code one. Looks like the joke is on you sir, HAHA

Flying Tigers Group

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

If I remember correctly, you LAUGHED at me when I said wx radars were now POSSIBLE with ASN and all that was needed was for someone to find time to code one. Looks like the joke is on you sir, HAHA

I really don't recall I did that, could you please find the post and quote it?

If that is the case I can only apologies.

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

I really don't recall I did that, could you please find the post and quote it?

If that is the case I can only apologies.

In all seriousness, I think he may have been thinking of me.

...though I didn't laugh as much as explain away the technical hurdles and say "I'll believe it when I see it."

Kyle Rodgers

In all seriousness, I think he may have been thinking of me.

...though I didn't laugh as much as explain away the technical hurdles and say "I'll believe it when I see it."

Well, lets wait for him to quote, one or both of us ;).

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK