Sign in to follow this  
ahinterl

Freeze when displaying map or GPS

When I call up the GPS or the map view, FS freezes at certain areas.I have all FS Freeware mesh/water/roads/landclass installed, and some areas with different LODs overlap.Can this be the result of the max_terrain_vertex_level setting used?BTW, I consider mesh, vector objects (streams, roads,...) and landclass to be almost impossible to handle properly.Landclass needs to be at a very low layer, vector objects don't respect others at different levels, with mesh I'm unsure if FS handles different LODs at different layers for the same region properly.And, installing vector object files such as roads can be adventurous since in many cases, original BGLs need to be deleted.So, with the time I completely lost control what files come from which developer, and what depends on what (e.g. if you have this waters, you need to delete these BGLs, but how do I remember what files I deleted and need to restore if I installed other packages before which eventually overwrote exactly these original files?).I'm not surprised I get freezes and lockups, and sometimes CTDs. The inability to handle scenery objects properly IMHO is one of the worst things FS has, and I can only hope that new FS versions will take care of this...Andreas

Guest Mach42

I'm getting the same lockups. Anyone know as to the reason why?

>When I call up the GPS or the map view, FS freezes at certain>areas.>>I have all FS Freeware mesh/water/roads/landclass installed,>and some areas with different LODs overlap.>>Can this be the result of the max_terrain_vertex_level setting>used?>>BTW, I consider mesh, vector objects (streams, roads,...) and>landclass to be almost impossible to handle properly.>>Landclass needs to be at a very low layer, vector objects>don't respect others at different levels, with mesh I'm unsure>if FS handles different LODs at different layers for the same>region properly.>>And, installing vector object files such as roads can be>adventurous since in many cases, original BGLs need to be>deleted.>>So, with the time I completely lost control what files come>from which developer, and what depends on what (e.g. if you>have this waters, you need to delete these BGLs, but how do I>remember what files I deleted and need to restore if I>installed other packages before which eventually overwrote>exactly these original files?).>>I'm not surprised I get freezes and lockups, and sometimes>CTDs. The inability to handle scenery objects properly IMHO is>one of the worst things FS has, and I can only hope that new>FS versions will take care of this...>>AndreasWhen you install new scenery you should not delete the old bgl's. They should be moved to a separate folder which you create. You can call this anything you want but it's obviously better if you use a name that will make it easy to identify later.

This is usually an AFCAD problem and has been discussed previously. However, can be difficult to pin down which AFCAD.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."