Sign in to follow this  

Hi Guys,

Not posted here for a long time!  Recently treated myself to a Microsoft Surface Pro 2, and despite many friends and colleagues calling me insane, I rather like it!

I'm quite tempted to try installing FSX on it and see how it works. I'm obviously not expecting miracles as it is basically a laptop spec but I'm sure it'll at least run albeit maybe not the best graphics.

For anyone unfamiliar with the Surface Pro this one is the 8GB RAM model, with an Intel Core i5 4300U processor running on integrated graphics - obviously I know they're not great for gaming but apparently the Haswell integrated graphics is a lot better than most?

What do you think?

Thanks

Tom

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I dunno about running FSX on it... but the first thing I would do is return it and pre-order a Surface Pro 3. Those are coming out very soon and look pretty nice.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Forget it.  I have something similar and I can tell you it won't work.  What I do love though is having the EFB, TOPCAT and utilities running on it while in flight!

sig01.png

Can you install programs on these devices then?

Pardon my ignorance...

Phil

Yup it runs full Windows 8.1 Pro.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Really been considering getting a surface pro.. Not to run FSX of course as I have a dedicated sim computer but would like to use it to interface with the sim along with other current network computers. Seems most networked devices are for iPad or Android OS?

FSX does work on the Surface Pro

I uses it on my Pro 1, high settings, cool thing is switches and buttons can be manipulated with the touchscreen. Still need the keyboard, recommend the power board if you intend to sim away from a power source.

No one should have an issue on the Pro 2 (especially with 8GB RAM.)