Sign in to follow this  
bud7h7

need help with Realair Duke v2 - lost all click spots

I had this problem so severly back in 2013 that I got out of the hobby in complete and utter disgust and frustration.

2014 saw a new very powerful PC from Jetline and I haven't seen it.

It was claimed that the 3D lights caused it.

But as of today, I was looking at buying the new Duke Turbine V2 as it would be my first RealAir product but when I read the manual they talk about this.

I have a very elaborate system of global and FSX backups so it wouldn't be a problem to restore but I'd be out $40 if I never reinstalled it.

They even mention this issue in the manual and it appears to that you can't select no 3D lights until after install?  Not sure because I haven't bought it.

I wouldn't touch this plane with a ten foot pole if it even remotely causes this issue becasue if you never had it occur and continue to occur it is enough to drive you crazy.

Jack Sawyer

Turning off the 3D lights in the setup config worked for me - no more problems !! And by the way, an absolutely brilliant aircraft to fly... a must get IMHO.!!!

Turning off the 3D lights in the setup config worked for me - no more problems !!

That's one of the solutions offered by RealAir in their settings pages and FAQ but it did not work for me. I have fsx installed in the default (x86) folder with UAC disabled. I thought I was cool with that setup and it could not be how I installed the product. I decided to uninstall the product (the Turbine Duke too), and reinstall by right clicking the install program and selecting "Run as Administrator". Problem fixed. I also made sure FSX is always started up with Administrative Privileges (although I was doing that previously when I was having the click-spot issues).

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim and others,

We are completely confident that taking the option to revert to default landing lights works. UAC and "permissions" is the bane of Windows 7 and especially Windows 8 and 8.1. The Duke guide emphasises several times, and in detail, that getting ownership of your fsx files and folders is crucial, as is running almost everything as administrator.

The problem with the piston duke v2 was addressed by us and everyone who informs us at support that they have clickspot problems gets a very detailed reply and a 100% fix, which is to remove some of the 3d lights. Shortly we will be updating the Piston Duke v2  so that it has the same options to revert to standard lights as the Turbine Duke v2.

We don't "claim" that 3d landing lights cause the problem for a small number of users. It is an established fact.

The T Duke V2 config panel works flawlessly, provided you over-ride windows' ridiculously over-the-top Account Control default settings. 

They even mention this issue in the manual and it appears to that you can't select no 3D lights until after install?  

How else is an option meant to work? Before you install?

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Um, yeah. Exactly the way A2A does it. They give you an option to disable the 3D lights BEFORE installation, not after. Please do not take this the wrong way, that's the way A2A does it.

I do not want to buy this plane, (and it IS very nice), only to have the click spot issue appear and THEN have to try to eliminate it.

I got out of this hobby which I have been in since the Bruce Artwick days in 2013 because of this very click spot issue. I just couldn't handle the frustration with it and no one at the time had an answer.

As far as UAC and all that goes I have it all turned off, I have never had a problem that way. I run Win 7 64.

Jack Sawyer

So you won't buy it because A2A includes the option to disable 3d landing light during the install vs RA giving you the option in a Config tool?

That makes no sense - it's a horse apiece - they both give you the option to disable the culprit that has caused clickspot issues.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Um, yeah. Exactly the way A2A does it. They give you an option to disable the 3D lights BEFORE installation, not after. Please do not take this the wrong way, that's the way A2A does it.

I do not want to buy this plane, (and it IS very nice), only to have the click spot issue appear and THEN have to try to eliminate it.

I got out of this hobby which I have been in since the Bruce Artwick days in 2013 because of this very click spot issue. I just couldn't handle the frustration with it and no one at the time had an answer.

As far as UAC and all that goes I have it all turned off, I have never had a problem that way. I run Win 7 64.

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding here Jack. I simply do not see the logic of disabling or enabling anything before you install a product. Almost all products with the complexity of the Duke have a configuration app. That app enables a wealth of options. I cannot see how you can provide such options without first installing the product. It's like saying "I won't buy or install windows unless I can set it all up to my liking before I install it". I think maybe you are misinterpreting what you describe as options to disable "before installing". It simply doesn't make sense.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Install the plane.  Go into the config program before you ever start the plane - the config program is a separate program so there's no need to start the plane to do this.  Disable 3D lights.  You will never see the problem.  You need to run the config program first to get everything set up anyway.

Not really sure what your concern is here.  Doesn't matter if A2A does this differently when the net result is exactly the same. 

Scott

Install the plane.  Go into the config program before you ever start the plane - the config program is a separate program so there's no need to start the plane to do this.  Disable 3D lights.  You will never see the problem.  You need to run the config program first to get everything set up anyway.

Not really sure what your concern is here.  Doesn't matter if A2A does this differently when the net result is exactly the same. 

Scott

Thank you Scott. I think you explained it better than I did.

Thank you Scott. I think you explained it better than I did.

You're most welcome.  Sorry to duplicate your and others' responses - I think we were all typing at the same time.

Scott

Ah, I see now. Ok, this was what I was looking for. I'm sorry fellas it's just me and I am REALLY spooked about this clickspot issue. You don't know enraged I was because of the endless frustration. I mean it was beyond frustration, there was no more fun it.

I know A2A does things differently, I bought their 182 & Cherokee and you had the option to disable those stupid 3D lights way before the plane was installed. If as mentioned above it will allow me to configure it beforehand then you have a sale.

The way I see it is this. A2A doesn't even allow the plane to be installed with the 3D lights and hence the clickspot issue before the plane ever gets into FSX. The way the Duke looked to me was you had to install it with the 3D lights (which introduces the potential for that spoblem) THEN deselect the 3D lights.

So Scott you have explained it very well for me. I appreciate that, thank you.

I will be buying it later today AFTER I figure out this mess called EZCA. I have a Saitek yoke and although I have watched many videos while I do it it is still a heck of a learning curve for me. PLUS, from what I understand I have to re-run the EZCA configurator tool AFTER I install the new Duke.

At least I have all the cameras for the NGX from AOA's Flightwork series I bought but I still have to assign things in my Saitek yoke configuration program as I do not use the paid version of FSUIPC. That program looks WAY over my head. I like to fly and not have to learn a million different programs unless I really have to.

I like the Saitek yoke's ability to have three modes, I don't know if FSUIPC will allow the same flexibility.

Man I wish I had someone near me who was knowleageable about this who could come over and help me.

If anyone out there is near KATL and willing to help a poor soul I'd be willing to either pay someone or barter for services. Some things are over my head.

Sorry for the off topic but this was one of the reasons I have been waiting to buy the Duke, EZCA, just got it last night and have been fiddling with it all last night and now as I type.

Jack Sawyer

IMO, it's better to have a config panel than to have to reinstall a product to disable the landing lights...  I mean I'd rather see if I have the issue first (because I enjoy when devs give us those Lotus lights!) before deleting it

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

No problem - glad we could help.  Sometimes it takes a few tries before we're all communicating on the same playing field.

I like the Saitek yoke's ability to have three modes, I don't know if FSUIPC will allow the same flexibility.

Essentially, yes.  You can set up different profiles for each configuration you like.  These profiles will automatically detect the plane you're flying and set the config as appropriate.  Is there a learning curve to FSUIPC?  Sure, but once you get past it its incredibly flexible and basically automatic once configured.  It also works around the Saitek drivers which can be problematic.  Most of us have long since ditched the Saitek program which controls those modes.

Best of luck and enjoy the Duke.  It's one of the very best out there.

Scott

Ah, I see now. Ok, this was what I was looking for. I'm sorry fellas it's just me and I am REALLY spooked about this clickspot issue. You don't know enraged I was because of the endless frustration. I mean it was beyond frustration, there was no more fun it.

I know A2A does things differently, I bought their 182 & Cherokee and you had the option to disable those stupid 3D lights way before the plane was installed. If as mentioned above it will allow me to configure it beforehand then you have a sale.

The way I see it is this. A2A doesn't even allow the plane to be installed with the 3D lights and hence the clickspot issue before the plane ever gets into FSX. The way the Duke looked to me was you had to install it with the 3D lights (which introduces the potential for that spoblem) THEN deselect the 3D lights.

I will be buying it later today AFTER I figure out this mess called EZCA. I have a Saitek yoke and although I have watched many videos while I do it it is still a heck of a learning curve for me. PLUS, from what I understand I have to re-run the EZCA configurator tool AFTER I install the new Duke.

At least I have all the cameras for the NGX from AOA's Flightwork series I bought but I still have to assign things in my Saitek yoke configuration program as I do not use the paid version of FSUIPC. That program looks WAY over my head. I like to fly and not have to learn a million different programs unless I really have to.

Man I wish I had someone near me who was knowleageable about this who could come over and help me.

If anyone out there is near KATL and willing to help a poor soul I'd be willing to either pay someone or barter for services. Some things are over my head.

Sorry for the off topic but this was one of the reasons I have been waiting to buy the Duke, EZCA, just got it last night and have been fiddling with it all last night and now as I type.

I've got to be straightforward with you here Jack, It is the TURBINE duke V2 which gives the option within the config panel to disable 3d lights.l The Piston dukeV2 does not yet have this option, but instead we send customers who contact us a 100% reliable fix. We work very hard to ensure that customers are happy.

Yes, thanks, that is exactly what I was going to buy, the turbine model. I really like it, it's a work of art.

I have Flight1's B200 but this looks even nicer.

Jack Sawyer