Sign in to follow this  
Don Quixote

recommendations for small airliner

Hi there everyone,

I'm mostly a virtual GA pilot, usually flying single-engine aircraft and the occasional twin. However, every once in a while I get the urge to fly something bigger - not a 747, but rather a small airliner. However, I've been browsing for hours and am simply overwhelmed by all the possibilites.

So I'm looking for something that has a realistic flight model and not over-complicated systems that require hours to start up. I'm open to any suggestions, freeware or payware, as long as it's priced within reason. Not looking for hyper-realistic systems simulations, so I'd prefer not to pay PMDG level prices if there are other good choices around.

I should add that, since I also like classic aircraft, I've recently bought the Captain Sim 737 based on positive reviews and the reasonable price. It looks nice. Now I'm no pilot, but a moderate understanding of physics and common sense tells me that the flight model is completely off. It feels like the thing is strapped to a Saturn V, completely overpowered; and otherwise flies like  a glider with a broken rudder. I could be wrong of course, but it just doesn't feel realistic at all.

Cheers!

Steve

I'd prefer jet/turbofan, but not ruling out turboprops in general. I already have the Aerosoft Twotter though, so it should be a step up in size from that.

If you want a small airliner, check out the PMDG 737NGX. It's fantastic and it does flights as short as 30 minutes in the real world but is also capable of hauls 6+ hours in length.

I'm not sure if this is the size you were looking at, or more like a regional jet, let me know!

I also recommend the PMDG NGX even though you say you don't want realistic overly complicated. It really isn't that complicated once you know the bird. 

Another option might be to check out the QualityWings Bae 146/Avro RJ. I don't have it, but they say it is very good - and not so complicated. 

The Majestic Dash 8-Q400 is a very good turboprop.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I agree with Vargveum on Quality Wings, and also you should really give the PMDG NGX a go. I guarantee you'll get your moneys worth out of it. Also the PMDG JS41 even though quite complicated is a great little regional turboprop.

Another vote for the PMDG NGX. It's arguably the best aircraft addon ever produced.

Another option might be to check out the QualityWings Bae 146/Avro RJ.

That one looks interesting, thanks! As for the PMDG 737, I have no doubt that it's one of the very best out there, but it's rather expensive and while a realistic flight model is important to me, I don't really need the FMC to be 100% like the real thing.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! :lol:

You can take a look at offerings from CLS/Just Flight, Quality Wings, and Overland.  They all have the simplified systems you're looking for.

Just keep in mind that the sound on some of the CLS planes don't seem to work properly in FSX.  They tried to fix this with service packs, but the end result is still not good.  After trying it out, it seems like they just removed the particular sound files that was causing issues.  So it sounds like something is missing. 

I replaced all the sounds with payware Turbine Sound Studios sound packs.

Just a heads up in case you decide to try out CLS.

http://simviation.com//fsnd/Downloads.htm

Scroll down the page to the twin turbo-fan.  New Brett Henderson's Saab 340

I had and it flew very well.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I'd love to have a 340.....but that VC looks like "pre-FSX".  If ONLY we could have a Saab 340 that has a realistic cockpit, my wallet would be wide open.

Stan

I'm surprised nobody has recommended the Aerosoft Airbus X Extended. It would seem to fall into line with what you're looking for (more simplified, you can use the built-in checklists to even have the plane run through things on its own, etc.).

My go to small airliner is the RJ series from Qualitywings...the best!

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090