Sign in to follow this  
Don Quixote

recommendations for small airliner

Coolsky DC-9 (so under-rated...). A classic aeroplane. VOR/NDB navigation.

QW BAe-146/RJ. This covers a good range of technical advancement in navigation and FD/AP operation in one model.

Majestic DH8D. Almost jet performance. Start up is simple. Landing... not so much.

PMDG J41, but probably furthest from your requirements.

CLS MD-80 with a soundset added is not too shabby, especially if you grab it on sale. Least complicated of this lot, but I enjoyed it before the DC-9 came out.

Mike

Aerosoft's Twin Otter might suit you. A nicely detailed little airliner that can go anywhere, and beautifully modeled too.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

Gotta mention the JS4100 again. It's the most rewarding to fly successfully, but admittedly can frustrate the most due to its quirks. Faster to pre-flight than the NGX yet more hands on. When you fly it correctly you feel like a true aviator, not a systems manager.

NGX is a classic though. I can't imagine FSX without it and probably fly it more than any other commercial plane I have... including the j41, unfortunately.

The Twin Otter is fun to fly, and hand-flying it is realistic! 

Another one that might suit you is the Carenado B1900. It will configure it's auto-pilot right from FSX flight plans, so that part of the set-up is very easy.

If you like hand flying the plane, the PMDG NGX is not for you. It is set up to realistically simulate the modern, auto-pilot flown reality.

- Bill Magann

One more vote for the QW RJ/146...sounds exactly what you are looking for, and you get 6 planes to choose from for the price of one, plus all the available repaints

Jay

While you are casting your net widely, here's a few more small jets that haven't been mentioned:

Eaglesoft Citation X (bit small for an 'airliner' but then so is a Twotter!)

FeelThere Embraer Regional Jets (135/145)

FeelThere E-Jets 2 (175/195)

There is a crj200 being developed, so far looks amazing. and there is a crj700/900 being developed. they are all work in progress

http://en.shop.aerosoft.com/eshop.php?action=article_detail&s_supplier_aid=10195&s_design=DEFAULT&shopfilter_category=flight%20simulation&s_language=english

https://www.facebook.com/CRJ2XX

EDIT: If you want to view photos of the crj900/700, then search in google images aerosoft crj900/700

Though it might be a little pricier than you want to pay, consider the Milviz 737-200.

It's great for 'old school' flying and has excellent handling and dynamics.  It's also pretty easy on frame rates and it's my go-to aircraft for night flying as the instrument and panel lighting takes advantage of DX11 (provided you have a compatible card) and is superb.  They just released SP5 which fixes some lingering issues with the autopilot and autothrottle.  Some people are turned off by the well-worn look of the cockpit, but don't let that scare you.  It's a great flyer.

Richard P. Kelly

Thanks again for all the responses! You guys are great.

I think I will narrow it down to the QW 146/Avro and the Airbus Extended (and possibly the Milviz 737). Althouwgh the Airbus is apparently a very complex aircraft, if it has the same checklist system as the Twotter that should make learning new systems much easier...

Overall I'm leaning toward the QW offering as it also offers multiple VC options, including an "all-analogue" one - I like that.

SCS Tu-134A-3. Overly complex, but worth it. FSX modification exist.

You can't go wrong with the QW 146/RJ - it is a great addon particularly if you don't want something of the size and complexity of the PMDG 737, although the latter is excellent and you don't necessarily have to utilise all of it's systems to enjoy it. I would however also agree with some of the other suggestions that have been made in particular the Majestic Q400 which is probably the best turboprop available for FSX (great modelling inside and out, fantastic sound and systems which are pretty easy to get to grips with), the PMDG J41 and the Coolsky DC-9. If you want something a bit different the the CS C-130 Hercules is also worth considering.

Bill

Another vote for the QW package, it's definitely my go-to short range airliner. Not too complex that it takes 45min to set up, but enough system depth to keep it interesting.

The QW package really is complete. It comes with two different aircraft, three variants of each, a variety of three cockpit styles and two different FMCs.

The Aerosoft Airbus has built-in checklists, but these are of the 'talking copilot' type - different from the Twotter 'printed checklists'.

The Aerosoft Airbus will come up as an "even more extended" version at some point in the future; current owners/buyers would have to pay an upgrade price for it:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/82081-airbus-projects-preview/

I'd love to have a 340.....but that VC looks like "pre-FSX".  If ONLY we could have a Saab 340 that has a realistic cockpit, my wallet would be wide open.

Stan

Razbam is building one. First will be the EMB-120, then either the 340 or ATR.