2 x SSD Crucial M500 480GB
2000 GB Sata III Harde schijf
DVD Brander
Blu-Ray combo: Asus
1Gbit netwerkkaart
Windows 7 Pro 64Bit NL
Ja tune en overclock mijn pc
3 jaar VIP Garantie

As expected, performance is FSX Heaven and Beyond, even without tweaks and still in DX9. The fun lasted only for 4 days however...

I had just installed FSX Global and was checking it out. Put the monster on Stand By to make something to eat in the kitchen. When i came back i thought i noticed a vague 'short-circuit' smell. When i hit the space bar to wake up the monster nothing happend... Pushed the power button nothing happend... Changed to another power socket, same thing, dead as Dodo...

Nothing unusual to see when i opened the case, nothing unusual to smell (anymore) neither. It just died on me while i was grabbing a bite to eat !

What do you guys think could've happend ?

To me it looks like the power supply went to the dogs but isn't the Corsair RM series one of the best outthere ? How could this happen ? I must have had 7 or 8 computers over a quarter of a century , lots of problems, sure, but never anything wrong with the power supply.

The died monster is going to be picked up by the shop, repaired and delivered back again but i'd be very interested to know what you guys think of this. A monster PC like this that gives up the ghost only after running for 4 days.... 

Thanks very much for any thoughts !

Cheers,
Jan

Jan

Most electronics failures happen in the first days...

Lets hope your VIP guarantee is good for something!

:unsure:

Bert

Most electronics failures happen in the first days...

Lets hope your VIP guarantee is good for something!

:unsure:

I guess you're right, Bert.  Nothing but BSOD's during first FSX tests with my former pc, Alienware ALX, some 5 years ago. Dell did sent me a new vid card and memory right away.

Now this....  

Anyway, it's running again,( my new rig, that is.. B) ). I asked them to send me a new power supply instead of hauling that heavy monster around. Got it today. Only thing is when i started it up i got a "Overclock failed!" warning. We're going to try to fix that in the coming days. 

I just hope it'll keep on running now...  :unsure:

Jan

If it is a problem with the overclock. It would be wise to get that fixed (running 24hr. stable) before installing any games.

Run a stress test on your pc, (ie, Prime95, Intel burn test, Memtest86+) before installing FSX and P3D. This way any issues with FSX will not be attributed to your overclock.

regards, Jazz

Great advice, thanks Jazz !

I have zero experience with overclocking, actually it scares the hell out of me and i'd rather leave it alone all together. 

I did install FSX and P3Dv2 now that my new system is running again but only with base files. Not that much of a problem to uninstall again if i decide to go thru with OC. Frankly i'm quite appalled with the performance of P3D compared to FSX.First time trying to use it seriously.

I found a good beginners OC tutorial for Asus Rampage IV Extreme. The section about voltage is enough to make me walk away with my tail between my legs...Brrrr! :Whew:

I'll wait and see what these shop guys have to say first.

Thanks again for the advice!

cheers,

jan 

Jan

Great advice, thanks Jazz !

I have zero experience with overclocking, actually it scares the hell out of me and i'd rather leave it alone all together. 

I did install FSX and P3Dv2 now that my new system is running again but only with base files. Not that much of a problem to uninstall again if i decide to go thru with OC. Frankly i'm quite appalled with the performance of P3D compared to FSX.First time trying to use it seriously.

I found a good beginners OC tutorial for Asus Rampage IV Extreme. The section about voltage is enough to make me walk away with my tail between my legs...Brrrr! :Whew:

I'll wait and see what these shop guys have to say first.

Thanks again for the advice!

cheers,
jan 

good to hear its up and running. If you get a system built they should ensure its running like a dream before you pick it up and hand over the cash....Javiz  looks like you got a very capable FSX system. Overclocking is pretty straight forward with a good motherboard as they have software that will help you over clock safely. Any thing thats electronic comes with a risk especially when its running that stuff called electricity through chips transistors and wiring connections.....