Sign in to follow this  
JughedJones

About to get a new rig tomorrow!

i7 4770K 

GTX 780 EVGA FTW edition

16g 1866 Corsair Vengeance 

Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid Cooling

GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 ATX Moba

I was using an aging rig with Majestic Dash-8 running fairly smoothly with FTX Global and Vector, ASN, Rex 4 textures, and Shade.  All in DX10 with the fixer. (PMDG 737 was choppy but flyable.)  All settings were rather meager.

I guess my questions are multi-faceted. What is a good target to overclock to? What settings for the base FSX should I shoot for, and are there any other scenery add-ons that I should be thinking about now that I have a nice rig coming in?

Thanks a lot guys.  

If you haven't bought yet I would wait for the i7 4790K which is coming out next week. Stock speed is 4G and boost to 4.4

If you haven't bought yet I would wait for the i7 4790K which is coming out next week. Stock speed is 4G and boost to 4.4

Word.  I have already bought it.  However, I've been reading a little bit and 4.5 ghz overclock on a 4770K seems to be pretty common (almost

in the 80% success range.)

Two things went into my decision for not waiting. 1) I'm impatient. 2) I wanted to go with a tried and true chip. 

However, I've been reading a little bit and 4.5 ghz overclock on a 4770K seems to be pretty common

4.2 for was the highest stable OC for me and heat does not seem to be the limiting factor in my case.  Still a great processor though.  I actually find FSX better with hyperthreading on too, especially texture loading.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

4.2 for was the highest stable OC for me and heat does not seem to be the limiting factor in my case.  Still a great processor though.  I actually find FSX better with hyperthreading on too, especially texture loading.

Yup. 4.2 is pretty much a given as far as I can tell.

I'm kind of setting my sights on 4.5 though... if I don't get it, I'll blow the chip, send it back and make them give me a new one. (intel OC protection policy)

However, what do you guys think I can handle now though. Where should I go re: scenery/settings? 

The reason noone has yet replied re: settings is possibly that it's hard to give overall recommendations, becasue FSX seems to behave differently on every computer, and the various addons also play a role, so it's really close to impossible to give recommendations. I believe you have to try some settings and see what you can still accept.

highmemfix=1

nvidia inspector tweaks - the usual from "setting up fsx and how to tune it" google doc

Lock fps at 60 outside of major airports/areas and call it a day

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks guys.  

I guess a just wanted to talk about what other people with 'kind of' my system did to make their 

experience better.

I understand that FSX is a weirdo program. I really do. 

Thanks ryan.  I'm pretty sure I know what you mean.