Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

CS 777 WIP Oneworld

Sorry Steve I missed your post - the spec map is just a rectangle - so no mystery in CS777 spec creation I just brighten or darken depending on how much reflection you want  - I like easy lol

I hear ya!  I havent' played with the spec maps at all on the PMDG bird yet...but want to use my 1st metal repaint of her (Flying Tigers) to experiment and see if I can get that metal...well...shiny!   Its gonna be a 1st for me as Im used to getting the effect through the alpha layer only...first real fray into a full on metal bird in FSX!

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

I hear ya!  I havent' played with the spec maps at all on the PMDG bird yet...but want to use my 1st metal repaint of her (Flying Tigers) to experiment and see if I can get that metal...well...shiny!   Its gonna be a 1st for me as Im used to getting the effect through the alpha layer only...first real fray into a full on metal bird in FSX!

Yes Steve it probably wont be as easy as a rectangle on that bird - good luck you may need it buddy

Rich Sennett

Well I think She is coming along nicely - thanks for looking - I will eventually do the original version also (non one world)

zu352r.jpg

Rich Sennett

Looking great Richard!

You don't happen to be painting N775AN?  That is the one I just posted a pic of my WIP...hehe.  They don't look exactly the same though.  :wink:

It pains me to see that. That's the one US Airways paintjob we're had that I liked since we went from the clean aluminum skin.

Hey Mike....I'm a Metal man myself.  And since I happen to see AA fly over me everyday (I live just down the road from you in Lewisville), and I've been known to paint a bird or two, we may have the classic AA to fly (for the PMDG model) soon.  :wink:

In fact I think there was a post just submitted about that very subject!  :LMAO:

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Steve,

Your metal paints are awesome. I grew up in an American Airlines family (Father and 2 brothers retired from American) so I've been attached to the old AA paint also. looking forward to whatever Legacy AA may show up in the near future.

NAX669.png

Hi Steve - I am doing N775AN as its a real Reg. - thanks and take care.

Rich Sennett

Steve,
           Your metal paints are awesome. I grew up in an American Airlines family (Father and 2 brothers retired from American) so I've been attached to the old AA paint also. looking forward to whatever Legacy AA may show up in the near future.

Thanks Mike!  Yeah I still can't warm up to the new one yet...still too attached to metal birds and esp AA.  It's also going to be a very sad day at DFW and AA when the last MD-80 flight is flown. And or the last of the classic metal birds rolls into the paint hangar.

Hi Steve - I am doing N775AN as its a real Reg. - thanks and take care.

Lol...too funny, we are painting the same reg...different versions of the paint on 2 different payware company 777s...go figure!

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

It's also going to be a very sad day at DFW and AA when the last MD-80 flight is flown.

Steve, you can say that because you've never had to load one! :lol:  I'm ok with the new paint until you get to the tail. The tail is hideous. They took a survey of AA/US employees As to whether they should change the new paint or leave it as is. Supposedly, the majority voted to leave it as is. I still think the vote was rigged.

NAX669.png

Steve, you can say that because you've never had to load one!   I'm ok with the new paint until you get to the tail. The tail is hideous. They took a survey of AA/US employees As to whether they should change the new paint or leave it as is. Supposedly, the majority voted to leave it as is. I still think the vote was rigged.

Hey Mike, I'd agree with you...I've spent many hours sitting in a seat watching the rampers load MD-80's next to mine at the gate, and it looked very uncomfortable...I can't imagine the back and knee problems!   Anyway you know I was referring to watching them depart and arrive right over my apartment in Lewisville. :wink:   When the sun is just right, the glint of that shiny fuse flashes at me while I'm watching them on my balcony...quite the beautiful sight.  I am going to miss it!

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the tail....completely hideous!  I will never, never like that tail, no matter what..ever!  (am I being clear enough ya think? hehe).  The fuse color and design I "could" get used to if it wasn't superseding one of my favorite liveries of all time!  

They made a horrible mistake removing the A (eagle logo here) A from the aircraft...this was ICONIC, and their recognized brand....what idiot thought it would be a good idea to get rid of it completely?  Probably the same guy who invented the "new Coke." :rolleyes:

Now, with that said, and with the thought that the whole new Coke advertising campaign was a ploy to get everyone hating the new Coke, then go back to the old Coke to make it appear they were listening to their customers.  Believe what you will about that...but it pretty much locked them into the #1 cola brand forever...just when Pepsi was making a real run at toppling their complete dominance in the market.

LoL....got off on the whole marketing thing...anyway...maybe AA made the paint so hideous, that when we complain enough they'll bring the old paint back?  Hmmm...its a thought.

Of maybe do it in phases...get the AA logo back on the plane somehow, then leave the fuse as is, but get rid of that hideous tail...who knows? 

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Steve, this paint showed up,I believe on Avsim, last year when they were waiting for American to reveal the new livery. I have no idea who did it, but I think it's a lot classier than what they have now.

IMG_0012_zps8a66b7b5.jpg

NAX669.png

Oh yeah I've seen that and I like it 1000 times more that what they finally went with.

Believe me, I could present many alternative schemes that would be hands down better than what they accepted...making the change to a fresh new design while keeping KEY elements that EVERYONE recognizes!  

That example you shows tries to do that, and that is what a designer should be doing.  Unless you want to totally destroy any brand recognition and loyalty to your existing customer/fan base, you follow those basic design/advertising techniques.

All the new AA design has indicated to this consumer/customer/fan is that they were so ashamed of the existing company that they wanted to sever all ties to it...like it never existed. (in fact 10 years from now...typing "AA" to quickly identify American Airlines won't have the impact it does now thanks to the idiots who voted for this change)

I'm reminded of the movie "Moses" when Ramses orders all images of Moses removed from all public places...same intent from AA...the NEW American.  :Rolling Eyes:  (LOL...I actually used the strikthough option on the AA...but due to the alignment of the A crossbar...you can't really see it.)

Hmm...maybe Steve has an strong opinion on this...ya think? :LMAO:

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Looks great mate. The new AA along with Jetstar is such a difficult colour to do.

Thanks John - appreciate it as your paints have always been great

========================================================

I like the new tail although would be lot easier to paint the version Mike has presented 

Rich Sennett

Well shes just about ready have to pack it up - hoping to bang out the non One World version - pretty happy with results - thanks for looking

30tnaj5.jpg

2mmd7hs.jpg

Rich Sennett

Base American Paint - expect both in avsim library in a bit

28tl4h.jpg

Rich Sennett