Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

DCS Flight Recorder Function

Hi

I downloaded DCS World yesterday for the first time.  I havent yet flown in it, but spent most of yesterday getting used to the interface, setting controls up etc.  Now learning to start the Su-25 before setting off on my first flight.

Does DCS come with a recorder and playback function , similar to the FSRecorder in FSX?

At the end of each flight / mission, DCS offers you to save a trak ( .trk ) or immediately play the flight you just made. This can latter be used to play back, and directly gain control if you want to pick it from a given situation in the original flight.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Yes as said above after you end each flight press the "watch track" button, it will replay the whole flight.

AFAIK you can't rewind back & forth in this mode like w FSrecorder, but you can use all the different view options + time accelerate/deaccelerate, tower view (assign a pan button & zoom). IMO the replay options are something DCS need to work on, FSrecorder is much more user friendly!

Is the playback smooth?

Is the playback smooth?

Very!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Playback is very smooth, but sometimes it can get corrupted, especially if lot of action is involved.

thanks guys.  Tonight will just be a first flight and probably a few circuits in the 25.

And... for an experience with the best ever P51d flight model ever developed for a PC simulator, don't miss the now free t51d!

Just to tease, although it's the p51d here: 

Main Simulation Rig:

Sorry guys, I'm full of questions - only because I'm not at my PC trying it out for myself.. 

I like the fact that you can save a track and play it back.  One of the things I enjoy about P3D/FSX is the tower view.  I love flying display routines in military aircraft and then rewatching them from tower view. 

How does one assign the closest Tower view position in DCS, and will the tower view auto track your aircraft as it does in FSX?

Good question, to which I do not yet know the answer :-/, but I'll try :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Thanks!  This is not what I spend most of my time doing, :)  but if I'm not in the the mindset for anything cerebral, then this is a fun way to pass the time.

Actually, I think one way to do it is with the F3 key when the aircraft is on the ground and then just not resetting the view to another position.  But are you able to adust the zoom in the flyby view?

You can use free float camera at F11. Every time you press F11, camera switches to next airport. You can move camera position by mouse (move with scrolling). This camera cannot track aircraft.

Theres some special camera positions with ALT+ function keys, for aircraft carrier camera for example, but you should look at controls for precise informations.

Additionally, you can change camera positions in some config file, but I do not know how to do that. You can find that at official forums.

You can use free float camera at F11. Every time you press F11, camera switches to next airport. You can move camera position by mouse (move with scrolling). This camera cannot track aircraft.

Theres some special camera positions with ALT+ function keys, for aircraft carrier camera for example, but you should look at controls for precise informations.

Additionally, you can change camera positions in some config file, but I do not know how to do that. You can find that at official forums.

Great, thanks for the info.  Does the F11 camera (floating) allow a zoom function

Sorry guys, I'm full of questions - only because I'm not at my PC trying it out for myself.. 

I like the fact that you can save a track and play it back.  One of the things I enjoy about P3D/FSX is the tower view.  I love flying display routines in military aircraft and then rewatching them from tower view. 

How does one assign the closest Tower view position in DCS, and will the tower view auto track your aircraft as it does in FSX?

I too love to do aerobatics & replay them in DCS & FSX., admiring my skills :lol:

Here's how you do it in DCS:

1:st assign keys to: Lock view(cycle padlock), zoom external in, zoom external out (you have to do it for every single aircraft separately).

When you replaying a track, you're in the cockpit initially, press pause!.....to go to "tower view" you have to find the airport you're at by pressing F10, the airport you're on will have a red little symbol in lower right corner.

When you have found the airport, move the view w the mouse on the aircraft & press "Lock view(cycle padlock)" key, this will lock the view on the aircraft...unpause & use "zoom external in", "zoom external out" key's.

You can use "Lock view(cycle padlock)" in a flyby (F3)...say the plane is in the middle of the rwy on takeoff roll...it will lock the camera & track your plane.

Cheers Rodd! I'll try that tonight