Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

Anyone Beta testing SLI ?

Hi,

Getting 15-22 FPS in EGLL/UK2000V3 with ORBX England in the Carenado makes no headroom for GPU with 2.2. so hopefully 2.3 will improve performance further and maybe 2.4 will introduce SLI ? who knows.

Is it to soon to invest in another GTX780SC ACX from EVGA or is there a BETA team dedicated to this SLI?

Thanks

Michael 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

LM has already stated that they are looking into it with NVidia but that's as far as it goes. They have not said that it would be included in 2.3.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

LM has already stated that they are looking into it with NVidia but that's as far as it goes. They have not said that it would be included in 2.3.

Vic

Hi Vic,

You may recall that we were told to expect SLI in 2.1, but that all changed and LM have seemed somewhat guarded with their responses on the subject since. Does make me wonder whether NVIDIA are dragging their feet for some reason. I do hope I am wrong.

Mike

Hi Vic,

You may recall that we were told to expect SLI in 2.1, but that all changed and LM have seemed somewhat guarded with their responses on the subject since. Does make me wonder whether NVIDIA are dragging their feet for some reason. I do hope I am wrong.

Mike

From what I recall Mike,  Beau stated that they are waiting for Nvidia to develop an SLI profile for P3D, so that part is in their lap. What's being done to the code to prepare for that is a question.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

What's odd about the SLI thing to me is that so frequently P3D isn't even fully utilizing the single GPU's we are all using as it is.

Why add another gpu until the utilization of what's already there is better?

Been using SLI with FSX and now P3D V2.2 for a couple of months on a dual 660 OC. Where it comes in handy is IMO multiple monitors. The way NVI sees it, both GPUs are running flat out powering 3 Monitors using Surround (2 connected to the first, 1 to the other 660, VC fullscreen over all 3). I cant complain about performance, it seems to work out fine. The driver is obviously taking whatever is thrown at it and distributes it rather evenly.

LORBY-SI

Been using SLI with FSX and now P3D V2.2 for a couple of months on a dual 660 OC. Where it comes in handy is IMO multiple monitors. The way NVI sees it, both GPUs are running flat out powering 3 Monitors using Surround (2 connected to the first, 1 to the other 660, VC fullscreen over all 3). I cant complain about performance, it seems to work out fine. The driver is obviously taking whatever is thrown at it and distributes it rather evenly.

Interesting....So perhaps not so much about single monitor users (like myself), but more for the multiple crowd?  That makes sense.  Hope they can ultimately bring some benefits to all use cases.

Interesting discussion. I'm about to sli my 670 ftw, that should give me plenty of power for p3d 2's 'worst case scenarios'. Well, theoretically at least.

This fellow posted this video:

But, looks like he's misinformed that SLI doesn't work in P3D2. Yet. So it's a confusing video without any proof that SLI actually works.

What does LM or NV have to do to make it work? or maybe LM rather meant P3D2 is not 'optimized for SLI', whereas SLI does work, but not optimized, namely, in a way that doesn't yield significantly more fps. As a side-note, LM should be smart enough to finally fix glass avionics rendering, so it doesn't kill fps like it's still doing now.

We really need some non-sli v sli results in identical flight scenarios.

Building an sli system and saying it works fine is not much help here.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I ran a series of tests on my rig with SLI on/off and without being highly technical, because I am not, there is very definitely a performance boost using the hack that LM provided for using SLI. Sliders 20/30% higher and reduced stutters but not eliminated.

Simply switching SLI on and off without the hack has virtually no performance effect on my machine.

Mac.

"we really need..."

Well, not really. At present P3D isnt really making use of SLI, and I seriously doubt it has any benefit when using a single monitor. Nvidia GPU all are multicore anyway, adding even more plus the overhead for the bus to power a single output seems, well, strange.

I only use SLI because a second 660 was way cheaper than a Titan, so why the heck not. P3D is definitely using both GPUs fairly evenly, at least that is what NVI is telling me.

So my advice is, don't bother and especially don't throw any money the SLI way until the use and benefit are proven facts (and are backed by the manufacturers)

LORBY-SI

Well, not really. At present P3D isnt really making use of SLI, and I seriously doubt it has any benefit when using a single monitor. Nvidia GPU all are multicore anyway, adding even more plus the overhead for the bus to power a single output seems, well, strange.

I only use SLI because a second 660 was way cheaper than a Titan, so why the heck not. P3D is definitely using both GPUs fairly evenly, at least that is what NVI is telling me.

So my advice is, don't bother and especially don't throw any money the SLI way until the use and benefit are proven facts (and are backed by the manufacturers)

I agree - same thing goes for g-sync also

Rich Sennett

"we really need..."

I did not say we we need SLI period but to we need see if

there is any advantage at the moment by On/Off testing.

What's the point of theorising when you can run a simple test to find out.

How about doing an On/Off test run and see what you get.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I did not say we we need SLI period but to we need see if

there is any advantage at the moment by On/Off testing.

What's the point of theorising when you can run a simple test to find out.

How about doing an On/Off test run and see what you get.

gb.

I thought that was obvious. If you read the SLI threads, you will notice, that most of us who use it find it hard to quantify the effect of SLI. So it is IMO safe to say that it is marginal at best, especially in single monitor config. There certainly is no "wow" effect and no magic silver bullet in SLI at present, even after tweaking your heart out. This may change in the future, but as of now my statement stands, made by reading the forums and the observation of my own system.

SLI helps (me) when running a spanned VC full resolution view on multiple monitors. I got about 20% more frames in FSX+DX10. I just assume it is the same with my new P3D setup, but I never bothered to check. In a tweaked and multi monitor environment this is not a "simple on/off" test. I  would have to reroute my monitors, pull one GPU to make sure the driver does not interfere, maybe even do a clean reinstall (of the driver) and again set up Surround. Then I get the challenge that I had my NVI profile tweaked, so I would have to do this again for single GPU. No need to tell you how time consuming this tweaking business is.

My best guess is, that a single 780ti would do better in all respects. But that test has to wait for now.

Best

nuit

LORBY-SI

With all of that said, SLI will eventually be beneficial, and therefore it's worth the investment imo. Also consider SLI is already beneficial in many other titles.