Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

Anyone Beta testing SLI ?

With all of that said, SLI will eventually be beneficial, and therefore it's worth the investment imo. Also consider SLI is already beneficial in many other titles.

True. But then again, it might not. Wouldn't be the first time a technology is intruduced that fails to fulfill its promises.

Would you like some conspiracy theory on why SLI is stalling a bit? What is in the best interest for NVIDIA, selling the single "big iron" or multiple "lesser" GPUs? If two 660s would have the same performance as a single 780 while at the same time being a lot cheaper, methinks not so many people owning the older cards would willingly swap for the latest and greatest. Just my 2cent.

LORBY-SI

SLI is not new. It delivers amazing results in other titles. SLI stalling? what do you mean? and no, a lot of people still prefer single gpu, but Nvidia is doing pretty good with it's SLI drivers. I honestly think that a single gpu will never cut it, that's also how the market is planned. It's also better (imo) to get two separate cards than buying a dual gpu card, like Titan Z or upgrading every gen.

Hi adi,

also true.

I just doubt the ability of the PCIe plus SLI bus to run the necessary synchronisation protocol nearly as efficient than a dual GPU on a single card could. Not to mention that your software still has to make use of this or it doesn't have any effect at all.

While I'm at it, @ll please be advised that for running SLI one needs the right motherboard. In my case I haven't got the right one, so instead of running two GPU on 3.0x16 PCIe, by using SLI it gets bogged down to x8 for both.

LORBY-SI

Worry not, 98% of the motherboards offer SLI support @ 8x/8x. The difference from both running @ 16x vs 8x, is negligible.

Why does it seem that many who say "SLI is useless and we don't need it", isn't running SLI?  

My results

My Rig

Core i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz on water

8GB DDR3-1600

Asus P8Z77-V

2 Samsung 840 250GB Raid 1

(2) GTX 780ti Classifieds - latest 337 drivers

120Hz LED Monitor

I tried the AFR-2 setting in the NI Control Panel along with adaptive V-Sync

Running in SLI had a HUGE  decrease in framerate, I am talking 50% loss!

I do mostly bush flying in the Carenado C185 Tundra.  I can take off out of CBB7 (Orbx PNW) and easily see 120+ framerate on a single card.  If I load up the same flight on SLI, I am lucky to break 60 fps!  This difference isn't quite as bad in populated areas, but still unacceptable IMO.

I can run many other titles Single vs SLI and see a huge difference.  Warthunder, ARMA 3, and Battlefield 4 are some examples.  Heck, ARMA 3 is still CPU bound just like P3D and I would say as far is simulation is concerned, right on par with P3D as well.  

No it was not included. Still waiting for NVidia to create a profile. Works about the same as in 2.2.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

No it was not included. Still waiting for NVidia to create a profile. Works about the same as in 2.2.

Vic

Thanks Vic, appreciated.

SLI is not doing much for me ... IMHO, SLI support is going to be paramount to the success of the platform moving forward ... they'll need that before they move onto 64bit ... LM know that, hence why they are working with nVidia and have been "hoping" to get it working since v2.1.  But it's clearly a 2 party process and LM can't do it alone ... they need nVidia support.

AFRFriendly approach is the only time I saw improvements with SLI ... any other attempts using the standard Prepar3D.exe resulted in lower performance.

However, for multiple displays you can drive each display using individual video cards so no drastic reduction in performance ... if SLI doesn't come about, this is probably where my 3-way SLI Titan Black setup is going (drive 3 4K monitors).

But, I keep hoping LM/nVidia can sort this out ... it was VERY unfortunate that nVidia broke P3D V2.x compatibility with their latest WHQL drivers and it certainly does bring into question what is exactly is going on between LM and nVidia.  However, I keep hoping ... being negative about it isn't going to help.

Cheers, Rob.

You're right, this is paramount.  I recently stepped up to two new cards in anticipation of SLI support for both P3D and Digital Combat Simulator, and now I'm biding my time, waiting for my expenses to be worth it.   SLI is a big deal.

SLI is not doing much for me ... IMHO, SLI support is going to be paramount to the success of the platform moving forward ... they'll need that before they move onto 64bit ... LM know that, hence why they are working with nVidia and have been "hoping" to get it working since v2.1.  But it's clearly a 2 party process and LM can't do it alone ... they need nVidia support.

AFRFriendly approach is the only time I saw improvements with SLI ... any other attempts using the standard Prepar3D.exe resulted in lower performance.

However, for multiple displays you can drive each display using individual video cards so no drastic reduction in performance ... if SLI doesn't come about, this is probably where my 3-way SLI Titan Black setup is going (drive 3 4K monitors).

But, I keep hoping LM/nVidia can sort this out ... it was VERY unfortunate that nVidia broke P3D V2.x compatibility with their latest WHQL drivers and it certainly does bring into question what is exactly is going on between LM and nVidia.  However, I keep hoping ... being negative about it isn't going to help.

Cheers, Rob.

Yes this is unfortunate. I am going to be making the leap to P3D in the near future, and am considering adding another GTX680 to my rig.

I like where you are going with the Titan 4K setup  :im Not Worthy:  I'll save that kind of horsepower for my next from-scratch PC build  :wink: